Grady white took some hard hits

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 228g seafarer that was built in 1990 and after not using it for a while I thought it would be fine but I took 2 really bad hits and I though the boat was going to sink but everything was fine driving wise besides the wood split that’s ontop of the door but I can fix that I just was wondering what to expect and what damage yaul think has been done is any this is the only time this has happended and I haven’t had a visual inspection of the hill yet.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
When you say ‘took some hard hits’ what exactly does that mean? like rode it too hard over chop and the hull smashed down hard? You thought the boat was going to sink, but you haven’t looked at the hull yet? Did you get any water in the bilge to be concerned about while you rode it back to the dock? What did you do after that? Presumably you made it home, and the boat is still in the water floating?

I’m just confused from what you wrote so far tbh, but hope for the best whatever the situation is for you.

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When you say ‘took some hard hits’ what exactly does that mean? like rode it too hard over chop and the hull smashed down hard? You thought the boat was going to sink, but you haven’t looked at the hull yet? Did you get any water in the bilge to be concerned about while you rode it back to the dock? What did you do after that? Presumably you made it home, and the boat is still in the water floating?

I’m just confused from what you wrote so far tbh, but hope for the best whatever the situation is for you.
For some more info the boat rolled off a large sport fisher wake that was coming at me and it was so hard I immediately look at the bildge light currently I’m at a marina and they put it on a rack so I have no clue what the damage was Ik it was in the left side and there was no water in the bildge when I got back no cracks and it looked like it did before I just haven’t seen it out of the water yet but it did brake the doors top hatch like I said

seasick

Reaction score
In general the hull can take more abuse than you can but to ne safe inspect for obvious structural damage ( so far you don't see any). Launch if OK and check for leaks etc. and then stay away from other boat wakes:)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Jack, it's still kinda hard to follow what you're saying without any punctuation - it makes it hard for us to read.

However, in terms of damage - number one, why do you assume there's damage? Two, it's impossible for us to say what damage you could have since we weren't there and are currently NOT there to look at it.

If I'm being honest (and this is not a knock on you), it sounds like the boat came down hard because of a lack of proper captaining (probably due to being inexperienced behind the wheel... hey, we were all there at one point!). With the way it felt, you are probably over reacting (again, due to inexperience). If you're not comfortable checking it out yourself, hire someone knowledgeable - it'll be worth your piece of mind to pay for a few hours of labor.

Reactions: Pighunter

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
For some more info the boat rolled off a large sport fisher wake that was coming at me and it was so hard I immediately look at the bildge light currently I’m at a marina and they put it on a rack so I have no clue what the damage was Ik it was in the left side and there was no water in the bildge when I got back no cracks and it looked like it did before I just haven’t seen it out of the water yet but it did brake the doors top hatch like I said

GWs are built tough, so like others said you probably felt it worse than the hull. A hull slapping down is still going to move the water under it. Take the lick as a lesson to treat your boat with a lot of care on the water. If you had passengers, they might not join you on the water next time if you run too hard. Not that many boats can plane over a wake from a 60’ sport fisher. Keep one hand on the wheel and one on the throttle in traffic, and you can react quickly and prevent this stuff going forward. Drive with confidence but safety as first priority. Boats aren’t fun on the bottom of the ocean floor. Not trying to preach but insurance wouldn’t pay out much for a ‘90, probably not enough to replace what you have already.

Reactions: Pighunter

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
GWs are built tough, so like others said you probably felt it worse than the hull. A hull slapping down is still going to move the water under it. Take the lick as a lesson to treat your boat with a lot of care on the water. If you had passengers, they might not join you on the water next time if you run too hard. Not that many boats can plane over a wake from a 60’ sport fisher. Keep one hand on the wheel and one on the throttle in traffic, and you can react quickly and prevent this stuff going forward. Drive with confidence but safety as first priority. Boats aren’t fun on the bottom of the ocean floor. Not trying to preach but insurance wouldn’t pay out much for a ‘90, probably not enough to replace what you have already.
Ok, thanks I’m not very inexperienced but it just caught me off guard and shit my pants. But it sounds like everything should be fine. From what I could see at the dock everything was fine, no water was running in, nothing seems abnormal.

Reactions: PointedRose

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't know how long you have owned your boat but I had to learn where my Offshore's "sweet spot" was through trial and error. Rounding Breezy Point can be a little hairy at times and I slammed that hull down hard more than once. I learned my seamanship (what little I possess) in my Dad's 21 ft Mako back in the mid-70's and if I didn't take head seas in exactly the right spot a few points port or starboard he sure let me know about it.
When I took seas in "that" spot on the Offshore the boat didn't like it at all.....I discovered that the right spot was considerably aft of where I thought it was.
I am not trying to say you don't know your boat....I am just sharing my experience.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Ok, thanks I’m not very inexperienced but it just caught me off guard and shit my pants. But it sounds like everything should be fine. From what I could see at the dock everything was fine, no water was running in, nothing seems abnormal.
We’ve all learned our lessons that have made us better boaters. Drive like you got a lady passenger you’re trying to impress.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We’ve all learned our lessons that have made us better boaters. Drive like you got a lady passenger you’re trying to impress.
Yeah, thanks I just wanted some reassurance that it was fine or if it was completely fucked but just some wood split so I think it’s fine

Fishtales

Reaction score
Pics would help. That being said, I have not seen damage from a wave that caused damage. Could be a first time though...

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I will have pics tmr if that helps

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
LOL. When I got my modern Grady I took the kids out in it and I was driving too fast and launched all 5000-6000 pounds into the air, enough that the engine was out of the water, the sound is very different. We slapped down hard and the kids were all like "oh, the boat is going to come apart". No it is not, it is a Grady-White, they are over built, we'll be fine.

Scroll forward a year and the kids get it, you smack the boat around, the boat is fine.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If your boat is in sound condition ( no wet transom or stringers) I can assure you, you will break your back long before you can break the the Grady. I had mine several times out of the water heading out, my main worry then is the fact that I way break a prop shaft when the boat drops back in the water and the prop bites in again. I like to make sure that on the rough stuff the stays upright , nor leaning on either side when she drops in so I get a smoother ride and save my back. We get a lot of 4-5 second periods here, that's tough going heading out, not so bad with following sea as long as she is trimmed up so I don't risk diving in the next wave.
If I'm approaching a big wash from a big ferry or a 60 footer, I will back off until I'm about to jump the wash, then I gun it so the bow lifts.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I pounded hard coming out of OC inlet a couple years ago, broke a latch on my radio box. My back was sore, boat is an absolute tank, no problems. Replaced the rest of those overhead latches, the plastic was brittle from age anyway so it was their time. I agree with others, you own a Grady for a reason, they can take way more than you can. Probably fine. I can also attest that submerged tree's floating down the bay likely won't harm it either, though any transom mounted transducer prob won't like it.

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I pounded hard coming out of OC inlet a couple years ago, broke a latch on my radio box. My back was sore, boat is an absolute tank, no problems. Replaced the rest of those overhead latches, the plastic was brittle from age anyway so it was their time. I agree with others, you own a Grady for a reason, they can take way more than you can. Probably fine. I can also attest that submerged tree's floating down the bay likely won't harm it either, though any transom mounted transducer prob won't like it.
Ok, thanks everyone ik the boat is sounds and I’m shure it’s fine the wood that was already split and was asking crappy broke off. I’m 99% shure everything is fine. Bye everyone and thanks for the help

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
A few years ago I was at Hadrell's Tackle shop in Charleston and talking to a guy and he was asking me about my boat. I told him I had a Grady 228. He laughed and said oh,the old sea donkey. I was like what are you talking about ,it rides smooth? He said he had a 89 pre SeaVee2 days and that boat bucked and slammed pretty good in the right conditions . He said it was sturdy as hell but he and his buddies nick named it the sea donkey because of how it rode. lol.

You sir just experienced the sea donkey giving you a bit of a ride. hee haw hee haw hee haw. lol.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
A few years ago I was at Hadrell's Tackle shop in Charleston and talking to a guy and he was asking me about my boat. I told him I had a Grady 228. He laughed and said oh,the old sea donkey. I was like what are you talking about ,it rides smooth? He said he had a 89 pre SeaVee2 days and that boat bucked and slammed pretty good in the right conditions . He said it was sturdy as hell but he and his buddies nick named it the sea donkey because of how it rode. lol.

You sir just experienced the sea donkey giving you a bit of a ride. hee haw hee haw hee haw. lol.
[/QUOTE0l
Ok, thanks everyone ik the boat is sounds and I’m shure it’s fine the wood that was already split and was asking crappy broke off. I’m 99% shure everything is fine. Bye everyone and thanks for the help

Well in the prophetic words of the great Captain Ron, if it's going to happen ,it going to happen out there. So,if you got a busted stringer or cracked what ever ,just go out there and find it! And beware of the pirates ..

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you everyone. I am 70% Shure my Grady is sound and that its alright the transom sounds solid and the boat feels solid in general, my one issue is the bracket getting filled with water but that doesn't mater. I will be working on that. Other wise I think that boat is fine and I'm sorry for using bad language. I hope everyone has fun on there Grady this summer.