Gulfstream 232 or Journey 258 ??

bighook

Reaction score
I sold my 226 seafarer and I am now going to upgrade.Can't decide between the 232 or the 258.Fishing is my game.Any help to decide would be great :D

Pete1313

Reaction score
I just went through the same debate......and read alot on this forum about it...

My only caveat here is that I've not been out in a gulfie...but from everything I hear, they are awesome.

There are alot of threads on the pros-cons. The Gulfie, IMHO, is the most boat for the length.....bigger fishing cockpit (no euro transom), more beam.....which converts to better riding. But alot of guys say you really need twins to make the boat handle better....not sure about that...there are a few guys here who have a Gulfie w/ a 250 and are plenty happy. If I had one though, I'd buy with twin 150's.....or if a single, the new 300.....I think that boat would be a little underpowered with a 250, loaded with fuel, gear and your fishing buddies.

If you're trailering alot, the Journey is the way to go - its 8' 6" beam is legal to tow in most if not all states. It not a big deal though, depending on where you are and how far you tow - for example, I see a few gulfies towed around my area across town to the ramp and the cops never care....doubt they even know its bigger than 8' 6". But if you're trailering long distance, the troopers/highway patrol will know....

I like the traditional v-berth setup of the journey vs. the bunk setup of the gulfstream. That is because my wife, small child and I can all fit in the v-berth. The bunk on the gulfstream is small, and if a kid is sleeping there, hopefully he doesn't roll around alot!

The cuddy in the gulfstream is nicer though for hanging out...as you almost have a couch setup with a galley on the port side of the v-berth. Could easily sleep one dewd or a guy and his wife/girlfriend....but its a bit close for 2 fishing buddies unless you are a true fan of brokeback mountain.

There....there's my "newbie" -- never rode in a Gulfstream but read alot about it cause I was making the same decision, analysis.

Good luck!

bighook

Reaction score
Pete1313,
Thanks for your input on this.I am mainly fishing and no kids to worry about.Just fishing all day,all summer.Sounds like the 232 is the way to go.I have heard the 258 would be a better riding boat? Due to the beam only being 8'6".It would slice through the water better in rough seas.

Now this is what I hear from people.I have been in a 232 lots and I could not tell the diff,even from my 226 I had.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hook: I'll offer my experience. Our dealer 'loaned' us a 232 while waiting to take delivery of our 258 in 2005.

I agree with Pete on many points. The 232 has a more liveable cabin although 258 is fine for my wife and me.

The 232 has a bit wider walkaround area, making it a bit easier to chase a wild fish around the boat on a bumpy day. For normal walking, not much difference.

The 258, in my opinion, has a much more fishable transom and this is what made up my mind for me. You're closer to the action on the 258 and you get another pair of rod holders in the transom cap. I didn't care for the fishbox on the 232 that kept me from "bellying up" to the transom.

258 has a transom walk through door making it much easier to get in/out of the water. This is the part that made up my wife's mind. I wish I could say that I have had fish so big that I had to drag them through that door, but that would truly be a fish story!

The 258 is fine with a single engine. In my opinion, the 232 needs twins, although I have not run one with an F350.

As for the ride - The 258's longer running bottom makes it easier to keep the bow down and planes at a bit lower speed. This is a noticeable difference when heading into a 2'-4' chop.

Both are nice boats and I think the 232 is a bit more family-friendly and a better over-nighter. However, I think the 258 is a bit more fishy.

Good luck.

Rob

bighook

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all your guys opions.This is great help.Keep it coming,as this week I will be deciding and spending a lot of coin,as you all know neither boat is cheap.

I always thought that transom fish box on the 232 was a great idea.But the one on the 258 is plenty big also.

I fish off the nothwest coast in Canada and we catch lots of halibut as well.So on the 258,not much room for them a long with a boat load of chinooks

Will be a sleepless night agian,trying to decide.... :D

232 GULF

Reaction score
A good problem to have, we can all agree 8) . I own a 2000 232 and absolutely love the layout of the boat. A real fishing machine and cleans/drains very well.

IMO a single engine under 300hp is underpowered. Loaded w/fuel, ice, drinks, gear and 3-4 buddies, my 250 works very hard and wouldn't recommend this setup. I test drove a 2010 w/an F350 and all I can say is wow. That thing can get up and go. I've never driven one w/twins so i can't compare the single v twins docking.

The cabin is a little tight for an overnighter I would imagine (never done it) but definitely do-able. Great for storage, if the wife has to use the bathroom, or taking a nap at the dock or the fishing grounds.

I've never been on a 258 but after owning this boat, I'll never own a boat w/less than a 9'3" beam. This is the boats most valuable asset IMO. It's VERY stable on the drift/anchored as well as trolling.

This spring I'm either moving up to a 265 Express, repowering w/new V6 300, or moving up to a 282 Sailfish.

I could go on and on. PM me if you'd like information on anything
specific, I'd be glad to help.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Bighook..
I can only help a little as I am not a fisherman and have not rode in a 258.
I do, however own a 2007 232 with twin 200 4-strokes and I absolutely love the boat.
I overnite for 2 weeks at a time and have no prob. although I have no wife or young children.
It rides really well, MUCH better than the Seafarer 22 that I had for the previous 10 years.
I have stated before that the 232 needs twins to get the optimum performance out of it.
It weighs A LOT (mine is 10,000+ LBS on the trailer.) It's also overwide. I tow mine with a Dodge Dually Cummins combo and it does great. The 258 would certainly be easier to tow around if you don't keep it at a marina.
Striped Bass is right, you should definitely sea-trail both.
Wouldn't it be nice if all your problems were like this one?

bighook

Reaction score
Well,thanks agian guys for all the input.Looks like the 232 will be a winner for me.I won't be trailering the boat much.

I guess I was just alittle hung up on the idea of having a longer boat would be better.The worrying about the beam width.

I fish for about 80 days each summer.So the 232...I think will be the better boat for me.

Now I just need to find the best deal out there for a new one.Lots of new 2008 models out there.Just need to find the right dealer to deal with.

I went on boattest.com and they have just tested the 232 with Yamie's 350 V8.Nice motor,but it only takes premium fuel.That can be hard to get at some marine docks.

Butcherboy

Reaction score

I just made the change from a 228. I thought the long reach over the stern on the 232 would be an issue, but everyone who has one seems to love them, so I'm probably wrong....I went with the 258. Really hard to go wrong. Tom

3rd Day

Reaction score
Ditto to so much thats been said about the 232. Mine is a 93 with twin 150 Yamahas on a bracket. I LOVE THIS BOAT. It performs very well with twins and with twin 95 gallon tanks, you can almost anywhere. I could go on and on. This is just my .02 worth. Did I mention I love this boat!!!. Good luck with your choosin and good fishin.

bighook

Reaction score
Well thanks agian for all the pointers.I am leaning towards the 258.I think it will be a great boat for fishing.I do like the bigger fish boxes on the 232.But I can live without them and still feel I have a great fishing machine with the 258

232 GULF

Reaction score
What was the deal-breaker if you dont mind my asking. The reason I'm curious is before you said you were leaning towards the Gulf. Anything turn you off about it? Or did you just find a good deal on a 258?

Either way you'll be very pleased 8)

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Spend a good amount of time on each. If you can, go to a dealer and hang out for awhile. It will probably be the little differences that will make up your mind. Besides, it's not the worst way to spend an afternoon is it? :D

bighook

Reaction score

I guess it is really just the idea of having a bigger boat.I have a buddy that is trying to talk me into the 232 instead.I know the 232 is a fishing machine as well.Having the 2 large fis boxes is a selling point for me.Also the transom on the 232 is great also.

Gee Guys,I just can't decide.Spending a $100k,wanna make sure I make the right choice.Like I said its all about fishing and having room to fish and store fish.So maybe the 232 is the way to go.

I will have to sleep on it agian...... :roll:

232 GULF

Reaction score
IMO, the beam of the 232 makes it a bigger boat overall. The extra ~2 ft. of length isn't very noticable I don't think, but as soon as you step aboard the 232, you notice the width dfference. Like mentioned before, spend some time on each (tough in the winter, I know). Hurry and Rush should be out of the vocabulary :)

bighook

Reaction score
Thanks.It is hard for me to go see them.Closest dealer is over 1000 miles away.I have been in the 232 lots.Abuddy has one and I have fished in it lots.

I just have a chance to buy a 258 also and thought it would be a nice boat as well.Being bigger(not by much) I thought it would be better in the sloppy water??

But the 232 beam is awesome and for fishing,I think the 232 offers more for fishing

232 GULF

Reaction score
1000 miles :shock: Too bad. I have no on-the-water experience in the 258 so I can't give insight to its ride in the slop.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hook: Although I'm obviously partial to the one I chose, I do agree with Gulf that the 232 'feels' like a bigger boat than the 258. The 232 is certainly wider and it is longer overall. The 258 gives you a bit more actual waterline length, which, in my opinion, helps the ride in a chop. But having run both, I don't believe there is enough of a difference in the ride to base the decision on that. But they are very different in layout. So, go with the layout you really prefer.

When it comes to fishboxes, I can stuff up to about a 40 lb. wahoo in the box. But that's about it.

Rob

bighook

Reaction score
Wahoo,
Thanks for the thoughts.Well I made it official today.I bought the 258 Journey.I do like the lay out a bit better(but not much) I do like the fact I have a bit longer berth down below.I like the transom better on the 258.Don't have to reach out as far to fight fish to get around the motors.Transom door is nice to get to the motors when docked.

The 232 was great with the wide beam.But you do get a shorter length in the cockpit because of that...not a bad thing. Yes,I do agree.The 258 will handle the sloppy water better,and I see lots of that were I fish. The fish box is big enough to handle lots of salmon.Big halibut don't fit in any box...anyways.

I know I will love this boat.....its a GRADY!!!