Gulfstream 232 w/ twin 150 F150 TXRD - too many hours?

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Looking at a 2005 232 w/ twin 150 TXRDs on them.

They have around 2000hrs each. Regularly serviced with records.

Is this too many hours? How many more hours could I expect reliably out of them with routine service?

Thanks
BB

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
2000 hours is not the end of life for a well maintained outboard, but it is a considerable amount of hours and should be taken into consideration when buying boat. I've heard that Coast Guard gets 4000 hours out of many of their outboards. Seller should reduce price some for these hours, in my opinion.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The hull seems to be in good shape. I'm waiting on a new survey. Lots of new upgrades, electronics, autopilot, cabin heater etc.
Asking 65k usd w trailer.
How does that stack up? Over priced?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
With how crazy boat sales have been over the last few months, there are some people jacking their prices up to (unscrupulously) take advantage of the situation.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I was hoping to find a used 232 in Canada. But they aren't as common. I think I'm going to have to open my search to the USA and likely I will end up importing.

mhff34

Reaction score
The boat your looking at is high. The one in Naples is very low if legit. Would jump on that if still available

mhff34

Reaction score
It's already listed as sold.
For now it will be a good reference point.

I think you might find that boat to be an aberration rather than a reference point. . Having looked at the 232 for years that boat was priced REALLY LOW.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
2000 hours is not the end of life for a well maintained outboard, but it is a considerable amount of hours and should be taken into consideration when buying boat. I've heard that Coast Guard gets 4000 hours out of many of their outboards. Seller should reduce price some for these hours, in my opinion.

So I'm a newbie but this isn't about me. There is a local 6 pack captain who has a Parker with the same Yammie 250 that I have. Different year, obviously. I contacted him about his Parker when I was deciding on my boat, we chatted. He was in the process of repowering, his engine worked fine but it had 7000 hours. His comment was "I flush every single time I run the engine".

He repowered and sold his engine, his reasoning was that he's commercial, 7000 is a lot of hours, he doesn't want to have an engine failure on a single main engine boat with clients on board.

So like anything, it is all about how careful the previous owner were with the engines.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I haven't seen/heard of a lot of F250s with that many hours but there have been a lot of the older 2 strokes with thousands of hours. Although flushing may add life, the one single thing for 4 strokes that will extend life is frequent oil changes. Some commercial operators may change oil every 100 hours of operation.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I haven't seen/heard of a lot of F250s with that many hours but there have been a lot of the older 2 strokes with thousands of hours. Although flushing may add life, the one single thing for 4 strokes that will extend life is frequent oil changes. Some commercial operators may change oil every 100 hours of operation.

The captain I talked to seemed like the sort that would do that.

I still think, like others here, that 2000 hours is a lot of hours. I'd have a really good mechanic go through those engines before I made an offer. I'm Mr Idiot who bought new because I got burned on my first boat. I love my new boat but it was very spendy, too spendy for most people. I think if you are really careful, check everything out, you can find a good used boat. But you also can get screwed so don't be me, spend the money on a mechanic and a surveyor.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I'm still on the fence about the boat @ 2000hrs. I'm not really in a huge rush so I'm going to keep looking. I'm going to keep my eyes on the boat and see where the price goes with it as well. Still debating whether I want to spend the money on surveys.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm still on the fence about the boat @ 2000hrs. I'm not really in a huge rush so I'm going to keep looking. I'm going to keep my eyes on the boat and see where the price goes with it as well. Still debating whether I want to spend the money on surveys.

As I'm sure you are aware in this pandemic, boat prices are through the roof. If you can wait a year or two, wait. If you want a boat now then if you find something that might fit the bill, I'd move on it. Boats, RVs, camping trailers are all sold out. Nobody is flying anywhere, that vacation money is going into boats etc. Do the survey and the mechanic for sure if you are serious, don't be me, don't get sold junk.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I know things are moving fast. It is pretty crazy. I still have my current boat which will stick around till the spring anyhow. I'm likely only going to sell it once I find a 232 that I want. Time will tell if it works out this year or next :D

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Agree on price, FIRST... contingent on the results of a survey.