Gulfstream fuel line problem

bayson

Reaction score
I have a '95 grady. This summer I started smelling gas fumes, but found no leaks in the bilge. Last fill up the gas smell was pretty bad. After a couple hours of running I checked and there was a small amount of gas in the bilge. I am thinking I need to replace fuel lines. Is this something I can do myself? How hard to do?

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Depends on which lines are leaking. The supply lines to the motors shouldn't be too hard once you remove the deck panel. The fill lines will be a bit tougher because of where they are routed.
Good Luck!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
How hard of a job this is depends on your skill set. But depending on which hose is leaking, as mentioned above, determines the severity of the job.

However, how do you know it’s a line and not the tank? When’s the last time you fully inspected the tank?

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've changed all fuel lines on a few different boats, including a late '80s 22 Seafarer I used to own. I was shocked at how bad the condition of the fill hose was once I removed it. You could slightly bend it and it would just crack open. What I did was to remove cockpit tank cover, and then remove tank fill bezel. Remove fill line from tank, being sure to stuff a rag into tank fill nipple to contain fumes. Next I tied several lengths of 80# test fishing line to one end of fill hose and taped it, and then removed all caulking/sealant around hose penetrations I could get to. I carefully pulled old fill hose out so it would stay together, which pulled strands of 80# test line through hose pathway. Then attached and taped the 80# test lines to new fill hose and pulled it through the pathway. After that it's just a matter of properly adjusting final length, clearing new fuel fill line, attaching and sealing openings, and returning fuel cell cover.

I recently bought a 1989 Gulfstream and have already removed tanks for inspection, and will be replacing all fuel lines probably within the next month, if I have the time.

bayson

Reaction score
Took the boat to a friends marina for this repair and many other things. My 10 year old 300 Suzuki ran great, EXCEPT when I pulled into the marina I noticed oil in the water. After pulled they found that the oil filter had a hole that busted thru the filter. This filter was changed, supposedly by the Suzuki dealer less than 20 hours use. Never heard of a hole in an oil filter. Plan on making a visit this week to look.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Took the boat to a friends marina for this repair and many other things. My 10 year old 300 Suzuki ran great, EXCEPT when I pulled into the marina I noticed oil in the water. After pulled they found that the oil filter had a hole that busted thru the filter. This filter was changed, supposedly by the Suzuki dealer less than 20 hours use. Never heard of a hole in an oil filter. Plan on making a visit this week to look.

They probably used a filter wrench to tighten it(which isn't necessary) and poked a hole.

As for the 23 year old tank....it can be hoses, the gasket on the sending unit, or a corroded and leaking tank....or all three. Its time for a serious look see.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd check the tanks while there. It may be time to replace. Fuel in the bilge isn't a good thing....