GW Freedom 205

MIKEJORDAN5

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi - I’m looking for a good boat to cruise on the Potomac, with my wife and grandkids. I really like Grady Whites. Not looking to take it out in rough waters. Just looking to take day trips from the Occoquan river to Old Town and DC. What are your thoughts on the Freedom 205s? Thanks in advance.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Take on out. You may want a boat that is a little larger.

seasick

Reaction score
I am not familiar with those waters. Do you see many if any pontoon boats. That may be a better fit for your needs ( yeah it's not a Grady:))

Reactions: Lt.Mike

MIKEJORDAN5

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks. I had a larger boat and it was great. Now, I'm looking for an easier boat to operate -- and I like the lines of a GW. Does anyone have any feedback on their opinion of the Freedom 205? Handling characteristics, pros, cons, etc? Thanks in advance. Mike

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I have a 285 freedom so it's sort of hard to compare....but
I like the full top. It's more shade than a CC.
Plenty of seating for the family.
It's almost a "tri-brid" if you will.. We can fish it, crab on it and it's great for family time.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
I own a Freedom 205. This is a big boat for it's length, and very comfortable for a day boat. IMO the Grady 20 footers are the best in class.

seasick

Reaction score
If most of my boating were to take my spouse and grandkids out on day trips, I would lean towards a hull with a toilet that has a holding tank and a pump out option. The 205 has a porta-potty type of MSD.
As to the comment about the 205 being a big boat, it is a bit heavier than many other brands but I wouldn't call it a big boat. It is an 8 ft beam.
That said it can be a fun boat to operate but if you have plans to take 6 or more persons on board, it can be crowded. How big was your bigger boat? That info may help judge what 'shock' you might experience with a 20 footer.
The 235 may be a better fit but you will have to compare what you liked and disliked with the old boat to what a new one would offer.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Seasick has a point; Downsizing may be better on paper than reality. Smaller boats get crowded fast even with two-three passengers & gear. A 1-2 ft chop created by wind against a river current will make for a lousy ride.

Not discouraging you, but it wouldn't be a bad move to set up a test ride in that or a similar hull before you commit.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have a ‘87 20’ Overnighter which is very similar to the freedom 20’ walkaround your considering.
Before we had this boat we had a 19’ Bayliner bowrider.
We love our Grady, it’s a much better boat for the waters off the Jersey shore than the bowrider was but there are things about the bowrider we miss.
The cabin in the Grady is great for getting out of the weather, has a porta pot and taking naps. If you’ve got kids, your wife, guests your gonna need that porta pot and a private place to use it.
The bowrider had a lot more seating and it was more comfortable. When people were sitting up front I had no problem seeing past them from the helm when under way. There is a seat in the front of the Grady but it seats people higher than the bowrider and as such will block my view forward.
seating in the back isn’t as great as the Bayliner either. Awesome fishing boat but not so much for cruising.
Grady does make a 22’ bowrider that has a head with porta pot in the helm area. Walking forward and back would be a lot safer for the kids and adults than balancing in the walkarounds walkway. The only thing you won’t have that the freedom has is that cuddy to get out of the weather or to take a nap.
heres a link to the new models but I’m sure there are plenty of good used ones available….

seasick

Reaction score
My comments on the porta potty didnt talk about access but rather whether the OP wanted to have to remove the potty and carry it off the boat to dump it. There are porta potties with a pump out option which is better than nothing but I would prefer a better head with a remote holding tank and a better flush operation.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I owned a nice 205 for a few years and the reason I sold it was the wife and the female guests we had aboard could not get into the port console area that GW calls a Head. Any person older than 10 years old will not like it. The boat handles very good as long as extra passengers are positioned aft of the windscreen. On nice days women and kids love to be up in the bow and if you find yourself with more passenger load forward than aft of the windscreen then be cautious about bow steer.

seasick

Reaction score
The 208 is the same hull mold and my 208 does bow steer, mainly when crossing chop or wakes at small angles. Most of the time, my passengers just think I steered in different directions on purpose:) Actually, in rough seas you have to make compromises in trim to reduce pounding while also not creating aggressive bow steer.
It is one of the few things I don't like about the 20 foot hulls.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Make sure you sea trial a 205. If you are tall and like to run the boat standing up, the throttle may be too low. I owned a 205 and loved it, except for that one issue.