Hard Top or Bimini

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello all,
in my search for a 2000+ Adventure or Seafarer (prefer Seafarer) I see a lot of them with just the Bimini Top.
How do they do underway? Do they take the wind or must they be stowed? I really want a hard top but the bimini's are definitely cheaper.
Thank You,
John.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Will this be your first boat... or maybe the first one with a bimini? Bimini's are perfectly fine to be left in the open position while running the boat as fast as it will go.

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Will this be your first boat... or maybe the first one with a bimini? Bimini's are perfectly fine to be left in the open position while running the boat as fast as it will go.
My first boat was a 1987 Mako 17' with a bimini. I ran it mostly with it down, as I found it to be a pain when fishing because of the rear stays. I don't think the Grady's have the stays. I plan on putting it in a slip next year at our local yacht club. So I'll be hanging out on it a lot more.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have a bimini on my 228, no problem having it up underway even with clears on the front. I have them on most of the time as I go a long way offshore so we don't get wet. I don't leave it on on the road unless going to the local boat ramp close by at 40 mph max.
I just bought another 228 with a hardtop. I can have my aerials and outriggers on the hardtop as well as marine radios on the top. The only disadvantage you have weight up the top so the boat rolls more .
Good luck with your search.
I found mine in St James city Florida but I won't see her in Australia until beginning of March.

Reactions: Heyspike

Fishtales

Reaction score
if you can afford it...Hardtop with at least a 3 sided enclosure. WAY better than a bimini.

Agree with this. Hardtop has many advantages; if factory you get the top boxes), mesh storage and ability to close her up should it get nasty. That being said, you can't let this drive the decision. Get the best condition boat you can and flex on the options.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
We bought ourmooring cover.JPG boat used equipped with a bimini so did have much of a choice in the matter. Now that we have have it, I somewhat prefer the ability to collapse the frame and convert the cockpit to a true convertible on nice days. Can't beat being out on the water at cruising speed on a completely open boat. If the weather turns foul, it only takes minutes to re-deploy the top and 3-sided (or 4) sided enclosure. Another advantage IMO is that you do not have to deal with the extensive piping that supports a hard top.
The downside is that I have no place to install a radar dome unless I have an arch fabricated.gradymystic.jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm a hardtop fan myself, second boat with hardtop, first had a Bimini. They both work, but like others have said, hardtop is nice for mounting antennas, radar, storage, sturdy to hold on to while underway.
IMG_1753.JPG

seasick

Reaction score
The biggest advantage of a hardtop other then mounting things on top and.or under is that the framework acts as 'hand rails' when and if you need to go to the bow like you might for anchoring. In snotty seas having something solid to hang on to is important.

I have a 208 with the Bimini. It does not have rear facing stays.. The Bimini has some advantages; If you like to sun while cruising, put it down and smear on the sunscreen. Also when foul weather is forecast or when I will be away from the boat for a while, I put the Bimini down and use only the helm cover. That significantly reduces the affect of strong winds and when docked it reduces the banging around of the boat on the dock. My other larger boat has a hardtop and I wouldn't want it any other way. Note that often the minimum horse power recommendation for a specific boat can be different for one with a soft top and one with a hard top. The smaller the hull, the more this can be a consideration. A Bimini adds about as much weight as a hard cooler with ice and a six pack. The hardtop weight is like having another passenger carrying that cooler:) On smaller hulls the weight difference will be noticed in the performance characteristics.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I should have added...

If you are a fisherman you really need a hardtop with lots of rodholders, electronics box, antennas up top, light up top, life jacket storage which frees up space for fishing gear... outriggers...
The deal you get buying a used Grady with a hardtop is enormous. Try pricing an aftermarket custom hardtop with 8 rodholders and an electronics box. $$$$$$$$$ Its a no-brainer.

and cannonballs off the top are fun....

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you everyone, one more follow up question.
I see a few people add aftermarket hard tops later, whats the price range for these? In case I go that route.
Thanks, John

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thank you everyone, one more follow up question.
I see a few people add aftermarket hard tops later, whats the price range for these? In case I go that route.
Thanks, John
There's multiple avenues to do this - from finding a used one to buying new from multiple manufacturer's, including different styles of tops. As an example, go to Atlantic Towers' website and poke around.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Atlantic Towers is right near me. Quality stuff. Their "ship-able assemble yourself" stuff is a good and reasonably priced option.
But it doesn't compare to the welded OEM Grady hardtop with the "hump" and electronics box.

SuskyMike

Reaction score
I'm currently shopping for similar year seafarer as well, however due to my fishing preferences, I am trying to avoid a hard top and go for the bimini. I understand the advantages of a hardtop for running offshore or doing a lot of trolling, but I mainly cast artificial in calmer waters and would prefer the option to fold it away. Plus, I keep my current boat under a carport in my yard, which I would have to figure out how to raise up a few feet to fit a grady with a hard top underneath.

Has anyone removed a hardtop from a Adventure or Seafarer? Does it leave a lot of patchwork to cover up where everything was secured? I've been looking for a non-hardtop boat, but if I find one I'd like would be willing to remove and possibly work out a trade with someone on here looking to make the bimini/hardtop switch.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm currently shopping for similar year seafarer as well, however due to my fishing preferences, I am trying to avoid a hard top and go for the bimini. I understand the advantages of a hardtop for running offshore or doing a lot of trolling, but I mainly cast artificial in calmer waters and would prefer the option to fold it away. Plus, I keep my current boat under a carport in my yard, which I would have to figure out how to raise up a few feet to fit a grady with a hard top underneath.

Has anyone removed a hardtop from a Adventure or Seafarer? Does it leave a lot of patchwork to cover up where everything was secured? I've been looking for a non-hardtop boat, but if I find one I'd like would be willing to remove and possibly work out a trade with someone on here looking to make the bimini/hardtop switch.

Removal is straight forward. I'm not sure what you mean by "a lot" of patchwork, but the patchwork would simply be limited to the holes where the thru-bolt mounting hardware is. Possibly an extra hole or two for wires, depending on the setup. All very straight forward.

SuskyMike

Reaction score
Thanks. I zoomed in on several pictures and it looks like the hard top attaches at about 8 different spots, so that's potentially 32 holes to patch, possibly on different surface types (non skid, smooth, potentially in a cooler box?) This is all hypothetical at this point; just didn't want to overlook a potential purchase just because it had a hardtop.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Dennis,
Any idea what a factory hard top weighs for your boat?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Dennis,
Any idea what a factory hard top weighs for your boat?
No, I don't. I'd only be guessing - but maybe 300 - 400 lbs? In saying that, it seems like too much?

I have an Atlantic Towers top - the kind with a polycarbonate top instead of solid fiberglass... it's also an "extended"top - it sticks aft an extra 3'. Not sure what it weighs, but I don't notice any effect on the boat in terms of rolling - at least nothing that is noticeable.

Last edited:

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Years ago I had asked GW customer service and they told me around 300. That just seems crazy high. Did they sandwiched a 1/4" steel plate in there?!
I've been kicking around the idea of making a pivoting hardtop, but if it weighs 300 lbs, forget it.