Hard Top Outrigger Installation Question

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I am ready to install the GS270 Taco outriggers on my Marlin. Taco offers plastic wedge plates to compensate for the hardtop rolloff to keep the riggers vertical. I was told that the right plates were the 7.5 degree plates (which are the smallest angle plates offered). When I put a level on the plate on the hardtop, the angle is too excessive.

http://www.tacomarine.com/item--Wedge-P ... eries.html

Did anyone install hard top outriggers on their GW? Did you use wedge plates? Looks like I need to cut the wedge plates down if I use them.

Any tips much appreciated....

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I installed Taco Grand Slams on our custom hardtop. It has some angle, but I can't compare it to the factory top.

No wedges. Slightly off vertical. No problem.

Brian

Enough Already

Reaction score
Taco Grand Slams in my 265 hard top, no wedges. Getting them to sit level is not that critical because the riggers are completely adjustable. Don't let the engineer in you think everything has to be perfectly level - this is one application where that is not required unless your top has a steep angle on it and it looks funny. :D

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wedges are not needed, they are adjustable, you can go nuts adding them but they really aren't needed. If you are installing on a stock Grady hardtop beware, Grady does not recommend this addition unless done by the factory, the hardtop is cored and needs a metal plate run across the width of the hardtop to support the outriggers, the Taco backing plates are not enough. Without that steel plate you will likely ruin the hardtop core and your hardtop from fatigue as the outriggers bounce underway. If you purchase a 1/8" aluminum plate, that should be good enough, and pay someone to weld it to the hardtop supports along the width where the outriggers will be mounted, not a super expensive job, but one needed to accommodate outriggers on a stock hardtop. Custom hardtops are different, they may have a plate in the core, or one added already, or use solid glass in spots to support loads for outriggers. Call Grady to ask them what they say about the install but 90% of all hardtops from the factory are cored and cannot support hardtop mount outriggers without mods.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Heliarcing Aluminum gets the area very hot. Any wires in the area will need to be removed or the insulation will be burned off.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for you input.

The factory does not recommend installation on the hardtop with the backing plate without a plate welded to the frame. The hardtop is cored with balsa to the edge. They did not have an experience with the tube spacers that Taco provided that sleeve the (4) mounting bolts to prevent collasping and cracking of the hardtop at these points.

I've spoken to a few folks that mounted them without the welded plate with the spacers and even my dealer indicated they have done many without a problem.

To weld the plate is a real PIA, need to pull the wired and remove the hardtop with all it's associated gear. This should be standard on the frame, not sure why not.

I'm going to give it a shot with the tube spacers in the next week or so and plan to use 15 versus 18 foot poles. Hopefully it will work out.....