Hardtop Outriggers - Done

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,

Finally got up the nads to install these. Need to drill a 3" hole in the hardtop and (4) 9/16" mounting holes. Had to measure 5X and drill once. I put in the Taco GS270s with 15' telescope poles and used the Taco premium rigging kit along with the line caddys. Bought everything on ebay for less than $1K all-in.

The line caddys allow you to neatly store the rigging on the outrigger pole near the base without the rigging being attached to the gunnel when the riggers are not in use. A nice feature with the WA models to keep clean access to the bow.

I used the 7.5 degree wedge plates to compensate for the hardtop roll off on the top side and the backing plates on the bottom. I'd recommend using the plastic tube spacers as well (this is why you need a 9/16" mount hole versus a 7/16". The hard plastic tube spacers are cut to the same height of the hardtop and are installed inside the mounting holes as a sleeve which the 7/16" mounting bolt slides in to ensure the hardtop does not collapse when the bolts are tightened. Also be sure to use plastic washers between the aluminum and the stainless washers if ss hardware is used. I sealed all exposed coring with 4200 and bedded the spacer tubes and riggers as well.

Everything went fine... Sent in a few pics to the moderator. Maybe he will post. This is an easy job for one person once you get the nerve. You can save ~$3K in the process too.

afishionado

Reaction score
top mount outriggers

I'm looking to do the same thing without welding a plate to the frame. How is your job holding up? Is there any stress cracks or issues?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
No problems thus far. My dealer has done it this way on several boats and didn't report any issues. When I discussed it with them, they indicated the factory is conservative (they told me I should install the weld plates).
My feeling was that for all the work needed to weld the plate in (remove hard top and all the electronics, pull the wiring and then reverse it all) that it was worth the risk. If it ever cracks, I'll do a custom top and install the weld plates then.
The hard top does have balsa coring but is solid all the way through. The backing plates help a lot.

afishionado

Reaction score
fishtales

thanks for the message. I'll be doing my top over the winter. I feel it is worth a try

thx

Fishtales

Reaction score
Follow up.
still have the boat and almost 10 years later, no issues with the hardtop.
- No weeping.
- No cracks.
- Still out of the way when not required!