heated cuddy

circle hook

Reaction score
I was wondering how I can heat the cuddy on my 24 foot carabean, I have (2) battries and I just pressure tested the fuel tanks, as so to besure there are no leaks, I have a 225 HP Mercury single outboard, so I dont know how much electric out put I have for an ac/dc invertor I can use, any ideas as what direction to go, Thanks Bob

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Electric heat uses lots of power. You would need enough batteries to sink the boat in weight if you are talking something substantial in heat, even the equivalnet of a an electric 1500w heater used at home that you intend to leave on for the duration.

Suggest you consider a propane system or one of those portables I see for sale that take one or two campsite propane tanks (1 lb).

If a propane fixed system, you can get a smaller refillable tank, not the typical 20 lb grill tank, and also one narrower and made of alum.

Or you can get a portable generator to power the electric heater, members have reported here good experience with the Honda unit, which would need to be rated at least as high as the kW rating of the heater you intend to use, and run continuous during heater use. Guys have located the generator on the deck at the bow. Make sure you rig a protective enclosure, those babies can't take a bow wave !

jehines3

Reaction score
Think energy conversion. Anytime energy is converted from one form to another there are significant losses. In this case you would be using gasoline, to turn your alternator, to charge your batteries, to run your inverter, to make heat. Gas is a heat source all those conversions would result in allot of waste.

Use a propane or kerosene heater designed for boats or camping and you will have much greater success with much less aggrevation. Besides when its cold out you can use the heat, otherwise take it home and store it off the boat to save weight. Your 1500W heater will need and inverter 12V input of 125Amps (P=V*I). If you ever wanted to run your heat with the inverter you would need to run the motors with that draw. A small camping heater with 1lb bottles will go a long way... jh

j9f

Reaction score
Living in Michigan we occasionally have to heat our cabin late in the season if staying overnight.

Fortunately I had shore power on my Sailfish. I bought a 1500W heater and it kept it the cabin very toasty. For overnight stays, my wife never complained. It also performed double duty. I would place it on the dash some mornings and it would remove all of the fog off the windshield and enclosures.

I have a big buddy heater that I use deer hunting and ice fishing. It works great. It has some great safety features. It has low oxygen shut oft. It also has a sensor that will shut it off when if tipped over. The tip over sensor is very sensitive. If you just bump the heater it will shut off. You have to be very careful and slow if you want to pick it up and move it a few feet, it will shut down. That's a great feature, but I wouldn't even consider using it anywhere other that at the dock. It suspect that it would constantly shut down due to the boat's movement away from the dock.

Don't know your application, so it may work fine.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's a neat little heater. One thing to be carful of is a propane leak. Propane is heavier than air and will find it's way into the bilge.

nauditq

Reaction score
Yep, my vote goes for the little Buddy. I tried firing up the original alcohol
stove, its thirty years old, and looks like it has never been used. I followed the directions on the stove to a t. Fill tank a 1/4 full, pump a few times, open knob till lower burner pan fills with fluid and light. Hmmm, easy enough, and when I touched the lighter to the bowl, she fired right up. But as I watched, the flame seemed to grow higher, and higher. At the ten inch high point, I am getting really nervous, and the thirty year old fuzz on the ceiling is starting to move and sway from the heat.
It was to much more me to handle, and out came the washdown hose.
Screw the alcohol stove.
The Little Buddy is it. Oh, and its like instant heat, gets very hot in front and above it. I open the table quick clamp it down, on low it will toast you.
I have a portable 12v. fan that can ciculate the heat very well when needed.

gw204

Reaction score
I want one of these cabin heaters...

81.jpg

Been a while since I stirred the pot. Figured I was due.... :D :D :D

j9f

Reaction score
LOL. I got a couple of those after I sold my sailfish........ and an AC with reverse cycle heat.
:wink:

Anyone want a deal on a slightly used 1500W heater?? LOL

TBone

Reaction score
Bought the Little Buddy heater (Mr. Buddy)

Works awesome for heating my cuddy while i was doing winter clean up in New England Winter!

Thought about the Big Buddy, it may be too big tho, but i may still get it later, can't beat the price on them!

Got the lil Buddy heater on sale @ Lowes for $69.00
The Big Buddy was $120 i think.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gw204 said:
I want one of these cabin heaters...

81.jpg

Been a while since I stirred the pot. Figured I was due.... :D :D :D

Hey Brian..That looks like it would be a little tricky to mount on a transom.

Now this baby will fit juuuuuust right.....
yamaf2501.jpg

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

tiderunner

Reaction score
DO NOT USE PROPANE IN A BOAT OR ANY OTHER ENCLOSED SPACE!!!!

Propane is a gas and just like your car, boat , truck ect. in produces carbon monoxide which will kill you. I am really surprised at all of you for even thinking of this crazzy idea. Every year we hear of family's being found dead because of this .

Staying warm is important but waking up tomorrow is more important to me .

Ok im done now ,, russ

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Why come no one answered this?

Just gonna leave it out there?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Like Dirty Harry, who gets all the dirty jobs ?

Any High School chemistry teachers / Grady owners out there ?

How about a one time high school chemistry student who was awake at least 50% of the time in class and has a memory of it ?

- would take care of this one ??