Hello from Great Britain - GWs are here too!!

Thynne

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Hi all, I have just purchased a used Grady White 2007 222 fisherman. As far as I can tell it came via Florida, the Channel Islands and ended up in mainland UK. It will now live on the South Coast of the UK, in Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight.I have had very limited time with the boat during purchase and only one short trip on her so far, My goodness she has already impressed. Solid build and great sea keeping ability. I know I am going to rely heavily on you guys since I seem to be only one of two or three GW Owner’s in the UK so will need your advice on loads of things I am sure. So, I thought I would drop you a line to introduce myself and for fun bring you up to date with UK matters. I know that I am a Brit and you guys are yanks in our parlance. So similar, so different, but I like to think as ex military, natural allies. Worked with your guys in Germany, Death Valley, Iraq and Afghan. Always a great experience. I also used to work in Switzerland for a big insurance company (named after one of their cities) and it was a really bad experience. However, my line manager was a yank, born in CA, has a house in Spokane and now living in Hong Kong. Despite being an expat, a real patriot. Given we were under awful pressure we used to go out on the town most nights. Top bloke and now a lifelong friend. Hope I learned something about the USA from him over all those nights discussing US UK politics, because as I say I am going to need your help so I am looking not to offend anyone although it is tempting to play the Yank card as a Brit!

How’s it all going in the US? In the UK it’s a mess! You may have heard about Brexit? Biggest political crisis of my lifetime. Worst I have seen it and the possibility is we will get a labour government (run by Marxists) that will make us into Venezuela within 12 months of getting into power. You nearly had ‘the Liar’, we have it really bad on a scale you would find hard to imagine! So, I intend to ignore it all. Drive my new (old) beautiful GW, focus on fishing and spread the word about the amazing quality of GW in the European boat bass fishing scene. I have to say that Trump’s 20% tariff has for now killed the possibility of any more being sold in Europe, but I get where he is coming from and he seems determined to look after US interest which from abroad is a little scary but quite impressive. Just a shame that we don’t get to share in the fun over here. Anyway, good wishes to you all and hope I am not breaking any forum rules by mentioning political/world issues. Just thought it might be fun to see what sort of response I got. Since we never get much idea of how we are seen overseas and very much not from the US. Completely understand if the moderators disapprove and want to take my post down. in that case I will confine myself to GW matters only. Good wishes to all from the, very small, UK branch of GW!

Thynne (Simon)

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Simon, Glad to here you were able to become the proud owner of one of the few GW boats on your side of the pond. It would be very interesting to see pictures of her in your local boat harbor. I have been watching the news about Brexit and I have to admit I don't fully understand all of it's consequences and how it will affect the common man. I saw yesterday that Theresa May postponed the vote on it because it didn't have enough support. I spent some time working in West Africa where I worked with two guys from Britain. They were both ex Navy blokes and running with them was like riding a whirlwind. They could drink far beyond my abilities and still function. I'm not sure where they got all their energy and enthusiasm. I did make them let me drive though, because they drove way to fast and way over their heads. We were on the dirt/mud roads of Africa and they thought they were in the Paris/Dakar run all the time. What characters live on your side of the pond! I do know that if ever the chips are down again as they were in Churchills time that we will all be in step together again. Good luck with the Grady White.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Welcome, you will find this site has an answer to just about anything that has do with Grady's. Good luck with your political turmoil. We have our share of it going on as well :)

Thynne

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Simon, Glad to here you were able to become the proud owner of one of the few GW boats on your side of the pond. It would be very interesting to see pictures of her in your local boat harbor. I have been watching the news about Brexit and I have to admit I don't fully understand all of it's consequences and how it will affect the common man. I saw yesterday that Theresa May postponed the vote on it because it didn't have enough support. I spent some time working in West Africa where I worked with two guys from Britain. They were both ex Navy blokes and running with them was like riding a whirlwind. They could drink far beyond my abilities and still function. I'm not sure where they got all their energy and enthusiasm. I did make them let me drive though, because they drove way to fast and way over their heads. We were on the dirt/mud roads of Africa and they thought they were in the Paris/Dakar run all the time. What characters live on your side of the pond! I do know that if ever the chips are down again as they were in Churchills time that we will all be in step together again. Good luck with the Grady White.
Thanks for your kind welcome. The serious mqistake you made was to fall in with the British Navy. They are mainly completely boneless snd (if you’ve ever seen Blakadder) you will be aware that once round the Is,e of Wight. Ames the a salty old sea dog. the ones to watch out for in the Navy are the Marines or as we know them in the real senior service, boot necks. I think the same may be true of your lot and when they turn into SBS or Navy Seals they get even more mental. good boys all. I mention going round the Isle of Wight because after near,y 30 days of non stop work that is what I’m doing tomorrow. We get great bass in the south of England far later than people think and you get the whole place to yourself. I’ll take some photos and post as you suggest.

Thynne

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Welcome, you will find this site has an answer to just about anything that has do with Grady's. Good luck with your political turmoil. We have our share of it going on as well :)
Yeah, we get the impression over this side that the US is really split. The same has happened here, honestly it’s all gone mental and the mother of parliaments is at stalemate. Interesting times for all of us but to be frank I am more worried now than anytime before in my lifetime. UK could easily end up as Venuzuala if our hard left get control, which is looking like a worryingly realistic possibility. thanks for nice welcome, much appreciated.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. A solid support group for you for sure here. Just ask any question you have. The only dumb one is the one you don't ask or we can't find someone to answer.
Hope you straighten out the Brexit thing and that you have a lot of fun in the GW.

Thynne

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Good luck with your Grady. What type of fishing will you be doing?
Thanks to all for such a gracious welcome. I am not at all surprised. I have always thought the Americancs to be the most generous of nations and, as your national motto suggests, take strength from all as the democracy is one. I know like the UK you are In troubled and divided waters right now. But looking from afar you guys have always worked it out. For me that is the power of the greatest democracy on earth. I have said far too much about politics and will now shut up on that subject.. To answer an earlier question, in the UK we sea fish for a variety of species but in the opinion of many the optimum quarry is UK sea bass, These ara caught right through Europe. They are a what we call a game fish. Think Chinook salmon or striper and you are close. To catch them you could fish with bait, works quite well but for me it is dirty and sedentary. Or you could use lures of various types. My partiuclar thing is hunting the big bass, a double pounder is these days a massive achievement, not rare in my youth but it is now. Soft plastics and light tackle. They are ambushFish. Lying behind a drop off or feature and waiting for baitfish who have been overpowered by tide to be washed over their heads. By necessity that means conditions where very often wind and tide are in juxtaposition and it can get rough, to the extent that it can be dangerous. This is where the GW comes in. Designed largely for offshore Florida fishing it is capable of coping with the short Solet chop. These seas can kill small boats (and every year that is proven)it is not pretty. So far the GW has been immaculate. Feels safer at 22/23 feet than many bigger boats I have taken into the same conditions. I am again really looking forward to mY fishing. I genuinely think the GW is the perfect boat for me. 250 HP can be me quickly get me the right places and the hull is secure enough to cope with the Channel conditions..

Reactions: Uncle Joe