Helm Chair

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Shopping for a new helm chair. Current have OEM Pompanette. Chair ok but sliding base is junk. Maybe if I had a better base I could live with it.

I saw Fishtails photo post of a Llebroc chair. That is a possibility.

I spin my helm chair around when fishing so I have a high seat to sit on. Was curious if anyone has found a easy to use reversible seat.

onmy6

Reaction score
I think that was too wide for my 265.
which seat did you have there the pompanette t2005 (what i consider the old grady high end seat is 23inch wide) and the ladderback is 24inch wide arm to arm. The twin 46 is 23inch. shouldnt be to wide

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
which seat did you have there the pompanette t2005 (what i consider the old grady high end seat is 23inch wide) and the ladderback is 24inch wide arm to arm. The twin 46 is 23inch. shouldnt be to wide
oh. Just looked at it closely. That one is different than the flip seat I looked at in WM a few years ago. I like the bolster feature. Will that mount on the slider pedestal?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
oh. Just looked at it closely. That one is different than the flip seat I looked at in WM a few years ago. I like the bolster feature. Will that mount on the slider pedestal?
Probably needs a mount of some sort. May not need to be a slider. My slider is shot and everything I see looks like junk! I don't need it to turn if the seat fold back.

Review: I replaced my helm chair on my power catamaran. I really like the flip up bolster because I mostly stand when driving. The chair is also comfortable when used as a seat. I like the fact that when tied to a rig I can push the backs rest forward and sit facing the deck of the boat

23" Height x 23" Width x 24" Depth

This is the best one I have seen from all the manufacturers. Thanks!

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I just ordered a flip seat from Arrigoni Design. This should work out well. I can sit and run the boat, flip up the bolster and use as a leaning post or high seat and flip backrest forward while fishing. Easier than spinning the seat around.

Last edited:
Reactions: onmy6

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I did a little checking. Alibaba has several sources. It looks like Springfield and Arrigoni are bringing them in.

Fisheries Supply was $480 plus $35 oversize shipping. West was $699!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Just measured my existing Grady ladderback. 25" outside armrests. So this is an inch smaller.
Would love a flip up bolster. I have a swivel (that I don't really use much) so don't really need the back flip...
I only sit when I'm trolling.
I'd hate to lose the handhold on the back of the chair. That gets used a lot.

My 265 has a center seat. I've been thinking of removing the port armrest. That cost $0.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Depending on how I like this seat and overall functionality I may build a custom high end helm seat with all the same features. This seat looks perfect but I'm not sure how it will hold up to my fat a** and weight while rolling around out there.

I don't "troll" its more like drift fishing. We are caught up in the wind, current and maybe the sea anchor. We bump the motors or turn them to "fly" the boat. I like to turn the seat around so I can sit up high to see the baits better.

I like the idea of a flip up so I can stand when running or sit on top. Sitting I'm too low and can't see the bow as well.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have the Springfield on my 282. It's definitely a bit more snug than the original that came with the boat. I think I posted it here and my thoughts on it maybe 2 years ago? I'll try to find the link.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
How do you like the Springfield reversible seat? I have one on order.

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
we replaced the slides and pedestals on our helms seats. We went with a Garelik Mililenium series slides and have had no issues. with all new hardware seats are tight with no wobble.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just measured my existing Grady ladderback. 25" outside armrests. So this is an inch smaller.
Would love a flip up bolster. I have a swivel (that I don't really use much) so don't really need the back flip...
I only sit when I'm trolling.
I'd hate to lose the handhold on the back of the chair. That gets used a lot.

My 265 has a center seat. I've been thinking of removing the port armrest. That cost $0.
Check out the Lebroc Marlin chair. It's what Grady is using today - modified for their case. They use the narrow one. I have it. Perfect.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Check out the Lebroc Marlin chair. It's what Grady is using today - modified for their case. They use the narrow one. I have it. Perfect.
Nice char but doesn't have the reversible feature. I spoke to Arrigoni Designs on Friday - will ship today. Should know by the end of the week. Chair are ordered with a better quality fabric in a GW matching color. They said if its not what I want send it back.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
How do you like the Springfield reversible seat? I have one on order.
I like it, but it's a different feel. I'll try my best to explain. It feels cheaper , and a bit springy compared to the original chair. But it has more cushion support and more snug than the original. It sits an inch or so higher , due to the cushion, than the original. Yet due to where the cushion/support is it makes you feel the like the chair is propping you up, in a comfortable way. For a bigger person, not myself, I can see this being uncomfortable compared to the original chair. Where the original sorta surrounds you, this one doesn't. I hope that doesn't sound confusing, it's the best I could describe it. I still held on to my original chair in case I ever want to switch back, but so far I'm happy......not thrilled as 1500 chair would probably make me, but I'm happy.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I like it, but it's a different feel. I'll try my best to explain. It feels cheaper , and a bit springy compared to the original chair. But it has more cushion support and more snug than the original. It sits an inch or so higher , due to the cushion, than the original. Yet due to where the cushion/support is it makes you feel the like the chair is propping you up, in a comfortable way. For a bigger person, not myself, I can see this being uncomfortable compared to the original chair. Where the original sorta surrounds you, this one doesn't. I hope that doesn't sound confusing, it's the best I could describe it. I still held on to my original chair in case I ever want to switch back, but so far I'm happy......not thrilled as 1500 chair would probably make me, but I'm happy.
I’ll know better this week. Shipped Monday.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Seat came in today. A little later than expected but it's fine. Purchased from Arrigoni Designs in CT. Arrigoni claims upgraded materials and Includes a sturdy slide base - vs West and Fisheries Supply.

First pass tried with seat all the way back on original short seat base. The seat has more cushioning than the old Pompanette chair so you are sitting al little high. I'm 6' 0" and its ok but knees are a little close to steering wheel while seated. With the seat flipped up it's a great leaning post and you can actually sit on top of the cushion and reach the forward mounted foot rest. When seat is reversed it's a little high but comfortable but feet are off the deck. The slide is all the way back and can't adjust forward. I'm going to test lowering it and possibly moving it back a few inches.

Overall I'm pleased with the quality of the seat. Material is a upgraded leather textured vinyl. It's a good GW color match for "Faded Grady White" gelcoat. The design is "right" but you just don't know if the materials will hold up to years of service. If it falls apart I would consider building a custom chair with same design and better materials - like a Release Marine chair.

IMG_2863.jpeg IMG_2864.jpeg IMG_2865.jpeg IMG_2866.jpeg IMG_2867.jpeg IMG_2868.jpeg IMG_2869.jpeg

Last edited: