Helm Replacement 265 Express

Bob Meola

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had to replace the helm steering. Mine went yesterday

Bob Meola

Reaction score
They purged the system still no steering. Mechanic advised more then likely it is helm

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm interested in your symptoms...
The wheel turns freely(loosely) without moving the cylinder?
The wheel is tight?
The wheel loses motion when changing direction?
I've never been really happy with my steering although it got a lot better with a purge & fill. The last 2 times out though, I feel some lost motion again.

You can get a seastar manual online if you don't have it. Use the troubleshooting steps.
Basically you isolate the problem by disconnecting things logically until you figure out whats not working.
Fluid leak/Air in lines/cylinder stuck in one or both directions/a Motor stuck/helm not pushing fluid

I'm inclined to take the mechanic at his word unless you have reason to doubt him.

If you are contemplating replacing it yourself, the only hard part is the filling and purging. Assuming all the hoses and the cylinder are good.

Bob Meola

Reaction score
Wheel turns however motors do not. The mechanic at the marina where I keep boat did everything you mention. Purged system etc still same results. I have faith in mechanic at marina been there 15yrs +. They do all maintenance on the boat. Looks like its going to be expensive. Thanks for the input

Fishtales

Reaction score
That looks like a good option. Didn't know they rebuild. Thanks for sharing.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have seen some youtube videos of replacing and/or repairing Seastar helms. The relief valve o-ring replacement looks simple but the complete overhaul is not a do it yourself project if you value your sanity.

I'm surprised that he was able to purge the system, which implies that the helm pumps fluid to the cylinder in both directions.... unless he purged using an electric pump?
Again, I can't second guess because I'm not there...

The rebuild sounds like a good option. The 265 has a tilt helm so a new one is in the $550-$600 range I think.