Help Me Price My Boat

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for all the help.....

2000 Seafarer 228G with 2000 Yamaha HPDI. Boat has been in dry storage for 10 years+, but motor has not been cranked in at least 3 years. Personal issues have kept me off the water. The hull is in good shape. Has bottom paint. I'm not making any claims that this is a pristine boat, as it has not been run in a few years, but it's not a dog, either.

Thanks again,
SwampGrizz

Reactions: Parthery

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pics inside and outside? HP of motor? Enclosure and condition? Other options?

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
200 HP Yamaha HPDI. Has full curtains. No Hard top. These photos are a few years old.

Thanks for your response.

Attachments

• MissBevy1.JPG
    MissBevy1.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 81
  • MissBevy2.JPG
    MissBevy2.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 82
  • MissBevy3.JPG
    MissBevy3.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 82
  • MissBevy4.JPG
    MissBevy4.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 81

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
There is a trailer included, but it has been sitting several years, and will have to be re-built.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well, here we go.

From the info you've given me, this is where I am and my thoughts on your boat. Remember,,,,, you asked!!

From the 8 year old pics of a 20 year old boat and motor, I see your boat doesn't have many options. No bolsters, no port wiper, small swim platform, no hardtop, no ladderback helm chairs, but it does have the pulpit and a bimini, hopefully the enclosure and cushions are ok. Those options are desirable to most folks looking at the 228, but for some, not a deal breaker. I'm guessing the included trailer is a 2000 model as well, but you said it needed rebuilding. For me and most, putting a bunch of money in a 20 year old trailer just to get it roadworthy is not going to happen. Put that money towards a new one. All the depth finders and associated electronics are dated or possibly don't work. The onboard pumps may or may not work. The batteries are dead from lack of use. The motor hasn't been started in at least 3 years, possibly longer, it'll take a grand or two to go through the motor to make it dependable. Ethanol sitting in the fuel pumps and hoses I'm sure has taken it's toll on the rubber lines and gaskets. At least 3 year old fuel sitting in the tank needs to come out and tank cleaned and tested for leaks. All hoses need to be checked for dry rot, especially the fittings at the waterline, if they're cracked, your boat is sinking. Don't know what shape your boat is in now, but I have a pretty good idea. Sorry for your situation, but this is reality.

After going through my 2004, I have intimate knowledge of what it takes to bring one back to life. This is what I'd be looking at on your boat if I was to be looking to buy it.

Price as is, $15K - $17K without putting eyes on it.

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
KY Grady,
This EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for, and I greatly appreciate your response. I was under no illusions that this boat would bring top dollar, in fact, even your low estimate was more than I had anticipated.
As I mentioned before, personal issues have prevented us from using the boat, and we are looking to sell it and move on.

One other question: Do you think it would be worth spending the money to get the motor running before I sell it? In other words, would I recover the money I would spend in getting it running.

At least you have given me a starting point, and I appreciate that.

Best Regards,
SwampGrizz

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You can go either way on getting motor running as far as selling. If I was buying, I'd want my trusted mechanic to get the motor running versus the seller possibly only doing enough to make it run, not saying that you would, just a hypothetical scenario. Kind of your call on that. If you do choose to fix it, have all receipts available for prospective buyers.

Maybe I was to generous on price, was giving somewhat a benefit of the doubt about the condition. It sounds like you have a worst case, realistic idea, of what you have and the actual condition it's in.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Your location is a key component. Looking at your pics (nice looking boat), and yes it has been sitting and will need some $. But CA that is 20K+ boat. IMO

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
Bloodweiser,
I think it will clean up OK, and I intend to get it as good looking as I can. If somebody from California wants to come give me $20K, I'll gladly accommodate them! They have to get it back home though.

Thanks for your input.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Just remember, with uship.com, price the boat as if you want to sell it, not as if you want to sell it to California. A boat priced right can sell, priced wrong, can sit and someone that may have bought it before, may buy someone else's.

GL with the sale. Hope someone has the money and time to fix her back up.

Oh, selling as-is vs fixing the engines. I agree with @Ky Grady and would go so far as to say.. spend money getting a hard survey paid for, engines and all. Beat a prospective seller to the punch line and have a really in depth survey done... that way they can see what is wrong, and have an idea what to expect and plan for it, and you can too. That would be money well spent, moreso than the rebuild. Guarantee, whomever buys it will want one and better to have it and get the cost done, than pay for it later, and I guarantee, it comes out of the sale no matter how you slice it.

R

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with KY Grady....do what you got to do to get it running. Otherwise, it's going to be priced like it needs a complete repower.

My guess is you will need to do the following:

Water Pump
Batteries
VST/Filters
Drain fuel tank...check tank and lines/hoses for ethanol damage.
Lower unit/gearcase
Plugs

That should get it running, after which I'd run it and see how it does.

This has the potential to be a great opportunity for someone....

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This boater from California will pass on this boat everything that has been named plus fuel tanks would need to be replaced,
good luck on the sale!

Last edited:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Nice...we may be able to make a new Grady comrade!;)

R

Reactions: JJMag

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well I’m just a new member, but I’ve been playing with boats for 50 years and what I will tell you is that in my opinion every case is different. You don’t know what you’re looking at until you’re looking at it...

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have no idea what your boat is worth without inspecting. If I was to buy a 20 yo boat with a 200 HPI , I would price a re-power immediately, however someone else may want to keep and old engine and one that is on the minimum power for that boat. New 228s are sold with a minimum 250 hp.
If I was you I would put the boat on the trailer you have, if trailer is ally and not corroded, new tyres, hubs , bearings, winch strap and brakes and whatever else it needs . If you have a gal trailer forget about doing anything to it.
If there is not much wrong with the engine, new plugs, fuel filter and water pump are not expensive. check the hydraulic steering, I would change the fluid as well.
Empty the fuel tanks, hopefully you haven't used ethanol over the years, if you have some fuel hoses maybe cactus. Pressure test the tanks and some fresh none ethanol gas and fire the engine .
Give her a good clean, buff and polish and new bottom paint if needed. clean all the cushions if not warn, if warned or torn have them recovered .
If all that works you will get good money for it. If you can do the work yourself it could be worth it , if you can't work out how much it will cost , if it's close to $10 k don't bother sell her as is where is.
If you can wait a little until May or so you will sell it easier.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and keep us informed.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As someone who owned both a 228 with no hardtop and a 226 with a hardtop, both with 200s, I can tell you that it's a 41 mph boat, trimmed all the way up, turning a Mirage Plus 17 prop.

If you plan to pull skiers, you won't be happy. If you are cruising, it's doable.

Early F225s were not strong motors....they only made about 208 at the prop, and were even weaker on holeshot. So the difference in performance numbers isn't is big as you might think.

cap

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Can I get in touch with you directly? E-mail or text?

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
Cap, text me with your contact info at: Nine One 2 - Six 6 Seven - Three 9 5 Six.

I'll call you back.