Hex screw size on bow rails

Walt1296

Reaction score
Does anyone know what size the hex screws are on the bow rails. My standard and metric size allen wrenches do not fit. Is this a proprietary size by Grady?

seasick

Reaction score
Walt1296 said:
Does anyone know what size the hex screws are on the bow rails. My standard and metric size allen wrenches do not fit. Is this a proprietary size by Grady?
They are not metric in theory. The screws have been a pain in the you know what for a while.
Although the spec says they are 3/16, my 3/16 hex wrench doesn't fit. For most of them a 1/8 fits but on some it is a tad small. Here's the kicker: I had to go to the tool section with a caliper and measure the 1/8 hex wrenches to find one that was actually 1/8. Many are a tad smaller ant turn in the hex screw indent.
I was able to get all but one out with a true sized allen wrench. The last one had to be drilled.

Walt1296

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, exactly the info I was looking for!
Walt

seasick

Reaction score
seasick said:
Walt1296 said:
They are not metric in theory. The screws have been a pain in the you know what for a while.
Although the spec says they are 3/16, my 3/16 hex wrench doesn't fit. For most of them a 1/8 fits but on some it is a tad small. Here's the kicker: I had to go to the tool section with a caliper and measure the 1/8 hex wrenches to find one that was actually 1/8. Many are a tad smaller ant turn in the hex screw indent.
I was able to get all but one out with a true sized allen wrench. The last one had to be drilled.

I just realsised that the spec that says the screws are 3/16 appies to the outside diameter of the set screw. The issue presented was the allen screw size which is 1/8 or a bit wider:)

Koz54

Reaction score

I know that this is an old thread, but while doing some recent rail work I ran into the same issue. The 1/8" or 3mm allen key did not fit well, too sloppy. The reason for that is the material. 316 stainless steel is great for corrosion, but it is 'soft' and distorts easily. When they are originally installed the allen socket becomes deformed by tightening with the hardened steel allen key.

If you loosen them you should replace them with new ones. Asides from the allen head deformity, a new edge on the new cup point screw will bite into the rail much better than the rolled over one on the reused set screw.

They are 316 stainless steel metric cup point set screws. M6 X 5mm long.

A 3mm allen key is the proper size.

Reactions: glacierbaze