Higher Fuel Prices

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Something to be mindful of with all the events going on is about higher fuel prices. As we know this hits the boating community quite hard, just hoping it doesn't get out of control.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good point, especially for those of us in layup. I think we will be in for a little sticker shock in the spring. This is another thing to watch regarding the boat bubble we are in. When (fingers crossed) things get better and the world goes closer back to normal, there likely be a glut of boats coming on the market and it will be a buyers market.

I have a buddy that works for a company that makes ice hockey backyard rinks. The business has been crazy good because everyone has money and can't do shite with it and need things for the family to do in the NE (a little like the boat bubble). They have been selling them like hotcakes, but it will burst too. We have not had the cold this year to date and a few days of bone chilling temps will be regarded to make ice. I think a bunch of these will pop up on the market in the future as well. So for those making bank in this environment - best of luck and make hay while the sun shines. It is going to get cloudy at some point.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
What I am afraid of is burdensome regulations put on domestic oil production driving up the cost putting OPEC back in play. They have had us over a barrel before and it will happen again. People won't be buying the large boats, SUV's, and full size pickup trucks, history may repeat itself but this time it may not recover. Hope I am wrong.

Reactions: Cadeco

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
What I am afraid of is burdensome regulations put on domestic oil production driving up the cost putting OPEC back in play. They have had us over a barrel before and it will happen again. People won't be buying the large boats, SUV's, and full size pickup trucks, history may repeat itself but this time it may not recover. Hope I am wrong.
Well now that the election is over the sky will part, the sun will pop out and everything will be peachy (sarcasm). Poof no more restrictions :)

Reactions: Cadeco

seasick

Reaction score
It's simply supply and demand although in this case the supply is 'managed' by various entities to stabilize pricing. It is not a simple model by any means, low oil prices dramatically effect domestic and foreign companies. You would think that with the pandemic, oil demand would be lower and it is but some countries like Saudi Arabia and others have reluctantly started to hold back production to boost market price. In the end, supply and demand will dominate the pricing barring of course artificial factors like tariffs and embargos of imported oil.
With respect to boating, we will see and have seen in the recent past that higher fuel prices tend to shift the boat market to more efficient (aka smaller) vessels. Same thing happened to autos, gas gets cheap and the masses buy trucks and large SUVs.
Yes gas adds and it is east to see the hit since you have to pay to play up but if you look at all expenses like depreciation, finance charge if applicable, maintenance, insurance, storage etc., gas is only one part of the list.
Have you looked at the cost of bait. Last season, some fresh bait costs doubled:) Since I don't catch a lot, It seems to me that I am just tossing my money overboard!

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Well it finally happened, gasoline has hit over 3.00 gal in my area and we are still the cheapest in the country. Energy independence sure was nice for no longer than it lasted.

Reactions: JJMag

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
The Shell station down the street from my work bldg was at 3.99 today !!!!!! upper westchester ny.. holy cow

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
$4.50 to over $5 pg at the pump in CA right now. Only getting worse

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
It would be nice if we could reopen a pipeline. :) With fish closures, red tide and gas prices it feels like I need to "winterize" a Florida boat.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There was a summer back in the early 2000's where gas hit $5 a gal in NY. I didn't even launch the boat that year

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
I posted this in January of 21 and hoped this wouldn't get out of control. Well here we are, the short run sandbars will be crowded this year.

seasick

Reaction score
I wonder what the impact will be on the used boat market. A lot of folks bought boats and first time boats' during the pandemic.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I wonder what the impact will be on the used boat market. A lot of folks bought boats and first time boats' during the pandemic.
The answer is simple. History will repeat itself just as it always does. The market will be flush with low hour boats this fall.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Just finished my FL winter trip for February. Expect higher prices in coming months.

REC 90 ethanol free
Street PumpIn water pump
$3.69Tom's
$4.69Tiny's
$4.00$4.89Caloosa
$5.25Bud & Mary's
$4.25Mr. Lobster

Fishtales

Reaction score
I fear what is to come for fuel prices will make the prices at the initial launch of this thread (mid Jan 2021) look like a bargain.

Not remaining a net energy exporter is one of the biggest mistakes we could have made next to not understanding the difference between "technology and products" or the power of "and versus or".

The green energy offerings are still technology in incubation not baked and reliable products that can be mass produced. Why is it always an "or" with our leaders? Why can't we have both - old world fossil fuels "and" new world green offerings? Our leaders (both parties) cannot imagine or will products out of technology, they cannot make bet the country decisions without product validation and reliability demonstration as well as a rational cut-in strategy from old to new.

IMHO, our leaders have failed us and they have made critical mistakes that will haunt this country for years to come.

Melissa Ann ll

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Forces in this country are attempting to force us off fossil fuel, when you can not afford to fuel your boat, this will devastate the boating industry. I have not closed on a new Freedom 255, reconsideration on this purchase is a sad possibility.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Fuel prices are such an emotional thing. I'll adjust by fishing closer to port, bringing an additional person, and spending more time and energy on research and pre-trip fact-finding before running offshore.

In the total expenditure of owning a boat, the annual fuel cost is sadly less than storage and slippage.

On the plus side, it won't be as crowded on the water.

D.D.

Reaction score
Y-I-K-E-S!!! Looks like we need to hold onto the Tartan for another year..........