How do I find moisture in transom???

7knots

Reaction score
I pulled the engine on my 94 Seafarer last fall for a rebuild and find that I have a bulge on he top of the transom. In pulling the aluminum plate of the top of the transom I can see that water could certainly get in. I drilled a few small holes going across the transom and the wood coming out seemed ok. I replaced the drain plug and fitting and the wood seemed well sealed their also. I am still concerned and would like to know for certain before I remount the engine if I should plan on a spring time transom project.
Are there moisture meters that one can buy reasonably to do this?

Thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No need to go elsewere to get an answer that reads: "those Grady transoms take on lots of water and likely need replacement, just did three in the last two weeks.....bulkheads too .... "
on and on and on and on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

You say the drill corings seem fine? What do you mean?
Wet wood feels cool, dry wood has no temperature sensation to the touch. To practice, take a dry piece of plywood, and drill it, feel the remains ?
And no water ran out otherwise I expect you would say so.

On inner transom to start, unscrew any wire tie loops or clips, and other screws that hold things onto the transom, any water come out or on screws or bolts?

If not continue -

Clearly mark the inner transom at 8 inch square grid pattern, drill 1/8 inch holes 3/4 the depth, don't do through outer glass. Catch the remains in hand and wipe out of drill bit, f, compare to above test. If it is wet, it will feel cool, if also rotted, will feel cool and look very dark or black.

If water gets into the transom, it can't dry out by itslef so no dry rot. It is either wet or not.

If you are a DIY, easy job, if all is well, you can fill holes with thickened epoxy in a syringe (West sell them). If you are not a DIY, don't be drilling hoes in boat, hire it out.
If you find wet and dry areas, report back. Draw a diagram.

There is no better test than taking core samples.
Also inspect transom tie ins (connections) for any cracks, all around. That means, wherever the transom attaches to other parts of the boat back there.

Good luck.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I forgot to mention.

When you drill through the glass skin on the inner transom , its about 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick and very strong, it's glass! When you drill past it and the drill keeps going like it's butter back there, then it is butter!

That's the effect of rotted wood, that has gone beyond being just wet wood. It is always wet first, then gradually weakens over time.

If the wood is not wet, then it is good as day one - out the factory door.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It would probably be cheaper to hire a marine surveyor and have them use their moisture meter to do the job. To buy one that is fairly accurate would likely cost you more then the service of having someone else do it, plus they do it for a living and should be good at it. I agree with BobP that that is a great way to check, but IMHO I'd stay away from drilling holes, if not properly sealed they WILL cause a transom issue down the road. I'd rather resort to a moisture meter, but if the service cannot be afforded or you are a very handy DIY'er and trust your work then this method will work very well. I know that moisture meters are not 100% accurate, but to me it is better then drilling a ton of holes in the transom.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
They are like $300 for a really good meter
i never got around to buy one yet
too many other bills to pay, LOL

Amigo

Reaction score
irI recently attended a seminar conducted by a reputable surveyor in West Michigan.

Here are a couple of statements he made.

He starts looking for moisture by look across the transom with his head close to the transom. He said he is looking for bulges in the gelcoat. He also does the same thing on the hull looking for delamination evidenced by bulges.

Secondly he uses a large plastic handled screw driver for tapping the transom and the hull. He said that it is important to give a consistant whack with the plastic handle as you move along the transom or hull.

Thirdly he uses a meter. He said prices for moisture meters range from $300 to as high as $2,000.00

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
GradyF22,
not sure about your Express, but other models have an assortment of items mounted and screwed into the inner side of the transom, how interesting. And no one is concerned they will leak - so they don't do it ?

Holes had to be drilled to mount everyone of them. That's beside what's drilled on the outer side: the rub rails, transom cleats; holes for the trim tabs and actuators, ff sensors, drain plug body, drive bolts, dozens and dozens of holes.

Since this member is questioning the integrity of the transom he owns, he's not limited to only non-intrusive inspections the certifieds do, and the usual legal statements that free them of liability since it was a meter reading, as in blame the meter not me, or adding the wishy washy "soft but servicable" statements to cover their cans.

Wet plywood that has not rotted yet usually SOUNDS good and solid.

You are right about the holes, it's too bad the factory and professional marine mechanics didn't seal everyone one of them properly, as they were paid to do. It takes just one leaking to wreck the entire stern.

Just one.

If the member didn't have any water come when he pulls the engine bolts, or the few holes he already drilled, or any of the existing holes already drilled in the inner side he can unscrew to check for wetness, my bet he is ok for many years to come. Once the bolts are out, he can also ice pick the wood in the holes to see if it penetrates, it should not, he can then seal that cap properly under the trim or hire someone to do it properly.

No need to hire a surveyor yet, contact your local boat rebuilder(s) one by one with his concerns, he may come out and inspect it, gratis as he should, just for the opportunity to be considered for any future work.

Then the member can get his next gas fillup on BobP!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Was I supposed to ?

Now that I answered, Ihave one for you -

Do you know what a non-intrusive inspection is ?
If so, is it limited , vs. intrusive inpection? What's the limitations?

Then define what this means and it's value:

"The reported analysis, opinions, and conclusions are limited only by the reported assumptions and limiting conditions, and are my personal unbiased professional analysis, opinions, and conclusions."

...I have more ...