How do I tell what auto pilot I need?

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Okay... I cannot buy it right now or my wife's head might explode.. lol... but, I need to budget for it.

So, how do I tell what all I will need for an auto pilot?

This is assuming I stick to Garmin, since the entire setup is Garmin, well.. other than the Simrad NMEA 2000 backbone, but that seemed to be pretty much the same across the board heh.

Russ

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For Garmin you pretty much only have 1 choice: The full Garmin Reactor 40 system. You probably can't use the compact because you have twins and the max cylinder volume for the steering ram is only 10 cu in. So unless you only have 1 cylinder, that's not going to work.

You can optionally drop the GHC 20 control unit/display and control the AP from your main Garmin display (assuming it's compatible), but I would personally not recommend that -- I really like having a dedicated AP control, especially if someone else had to take charge in an emergency. I think it's important that there's a physical button that can disable the AP.

I think the only other option is to not get the Shadow Drive, but that's actually a really nice feature... I'm not even sure you can buy the whole system without it.

Reactions: RussGW270

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You don't have to stick with Garmin if you find a better deal. I have all Garmin, except for the Raymarine autopilot. Works fine. Since you have a NMEA 2000 network, they will talk to each other regardless of brand.

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Great input guys! Well, whatever I go with, I plan to get the "entire enchilada".... lol.. no need to skimp on features, just was not sure as even the Garmin site has different types etc.

So, if Garmin, the Reactor 40 system has it all?

If Raymarine, any specific "kit" for a twin 2004 4-stroke Yamaha 225 setup?

Thank you guys!

Ruuhh? Prices vary between 2500 for "Reactor 40 with smart pump and GHC20" to 4k for "same thins plus v2 GHC20" to "Reactor 40 Kicker AP with GHC20"... no idea what the kicker is unless it connects to a kicker motor as the 2nd.

fun stuff.

R

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just installed a Furuno Navpilot 300 on my 208. Fairly easy install. Comes with a wireless remote for operation and steering and a great mode for still fishing. (Sabiki mode) back trolling in a tide or wind that will hold the boat in position. Check it out! Have yet to sea trial it but all appears to be good in the barn. Cheers, trapper

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hrm... Furuno is top notch.. may have to consider that :p

R

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I also went with the Furuno, but I still haven't sea trialed yet. They are taking forever trying to put the new Honda on my boat. Apparently, everything is different from the pre-2019 models. Cables, gauge, network parameters.

With the Furuno or any other AP, you need to match the pump you use to the total capacity of your steering cylinders. The only hard part about the installation is figuring where to put everything (display, computer, pump, and heading sensor). Everything just plugs into your NMEA 2000 network and should be recognized by any MFD regardless of the brand.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Aaahhh see? That is what I was getting at. Matching the pump to total capacity...

Need to figure out what mine is heh

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The pump will be sized to meet the requirements for the seastar cylinders. Each brand has their own pump and it will be sized according to the volume of your steering cylinders. I have twin F250s and and I seem to remember that mine is a Type 1 pump. Ok to have too big, not OK to have too small. I'm of the opinion that all pumps, regardless of brand, are essentially the same except for Garmin which has some features the others do not.The electronics just direct the pump to turn left or right and at what rate. Make sure you are not required to have an Rudder feedback unit (RFU) as they are unreliable and a PIA. Most newer autopilots us a yaw rate sensor and do not require an RFU.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just installed a Furuno Navpilot 300 on my 208. Fairly easy install. Comes with a wireless remote for operation and steering and a great mode for still fishing. (Sabiki mode) back trolling in a tide or wind that will hold the boat in position. Check it out! Have yet to sea trial it but all appears to be good in the barn. Cheers, trapper

I also installed a FURUNO 300 AP on my 330 - so far it works great & interfaces with my all Garmin network - 5212 & 5012