How do you remove this?

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
You can't turn it without removing the hose and holding the nut on the other side.

I have used a scraper tool that fit the slot just right
I did not supply enough information, the hose is removed, turning the nut and this whole thing turns. Need something to keep it from turning. I figured since those notches were there, that there was something that would hold it.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thru-hull installation tool.

But just be creative... a large washer held perpendicular... a screwdriver into the slot, tapping with a hammer... two slotted screwdrivers held in an X pattern... you get the idea. Hopefully someone didn't put 5200 on it.

However, if you're replacing them - just cut off the nut with an oscillating tool.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If the whole thing turns, at least you know it is not put in with 5200. Can you grab it below the nut, with channel locks or a small pipe wrench? Usually, once you break the nut loose, it comes off easily.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Man up! Just Sawzall the thing off!

There is a tool for holding the thru hull. You can make one. Probably gunked up with 5200 on the threads.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Drill a couple of holes and use a spanner wrench similar to trim cylinder cap wrench.... or drill the holes and use a piece of metal or wood with 2 bolts that fit into your holes.

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Cut fitting with Sawzall and metal type blade to into quarters if above fine suggestions do not work. Metal blade will cut plastic with finer control and precision.

Work slowly to ensuring your do not cut into surrounding hull.
Once cut into quarters, hammer and chisel one of the quarter sections loose and so on.

Try cutting in halves first

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have drilled plastic thru hulls out using a stepped drill bit. It’s destructive but the thru hulls are cheap enough and probably should be replaced anyway.

These stepped drill bits are the best way to make large holes in HDPE plastic. Large drill bits will crack the plastic.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Maybe a small pry bar would fit the slot (or cut one down).