how does a 3 button trim work on a 1979 mercruiser?

lime4x4

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1979 grady white. It uses a 3 button trim/tilt control pad on the dash. The top button says out the middle button says up/out and the bottom button says in. Only the in button makes the pump motor operate.

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
How it going lime 4x4? I too have an older "golden" Grady with a Mercruiser. My trim and tilt operate from a two way toggle switch on top of the throttle/gear shift control lever. I think from what you describe with your switch funtions that the top button/out should probably raise the outdrive upward or out of the water.(raise the nose of the boat) The middle up/out button should probably raise your outdrive up to the full up position for trailering. The bottom/in button should probably lower the outdrive deeper into the water(lower the nose of the boat) I have a seperate switch for raisng the outdrive to the full up or trailering position. It sounds like from what you describe that possibly your control switch may be bad or possibly some of your control wiring may be bad. I would recommend checking the wiring before buying a new switch. I could be wrong about the functions of your control buttons but they should work in a similar manner. Glad to see another Mercruiser showup as the inboard/outboards are a vast minority these days. What type engine and outdrive are you running? Good luck troubleshooting the trim. 8)

Ken

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
The operation of the switch Ken described is correct. I would check the voltage at the switches first. You should have 12V at one side of the switch(es). When depressing the switch you should have 12V through the switch(es). The pump is running in at least one direction so I would start at the switches.

lime4x4

Reaction score
Thanks. More then likely it's a wiring issue.. The boat is a 1979 201 marlin with a mercruiser 470 and a alpha drive. The drive was recently replaced with a new rebuilt unit. The motor is a newer (1987). I wasn't real thrilled about this engine. But i liked the layout of the boat and the price was right. A marina just sat the motor in. So it took me a week to get everything hooked up. Had to rebuild the carb and tuneup. The dist was replaced with a electronic one. Finaly got the engine running. The coolant system isn't leaking. Still uses the stator/charging setup which is currently working. Bought the boat for fishing and crabbing. Hopefully this weekend i can get to the lake and give it a test drive. Then i'll decide if i'm keeping the boat or not. As long as the boat handles good i'll keep it.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Yep, sounds like a switch problem. It's testing the limits of memory, and it was on an outboard, but the Cruiser would probably be similar: I believe the top or bottom buttons operate the trim, the top or bottom button and the middle one at the same time operate the tilt ...
:uhm

rml2112

Reaction score
The Bottom button is for trimming down , The middle is for trimming up untill it hits its limit switch and pushing both top and middle buttons allow you to Put the drive all the way up for trailering or beaching.
The unit will not trim up if its in Reverse due to the reverse lock.

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
lime4x4 said:
The boat is a 1979 201 marlin with a mercruiser 470 and a alpha drive. The drive was recently replaced with a new rebuilt unit. The motor is a newer (1987). I wasn't real thrilled about this engine..

I have a lot of expierence with this engine. I have the same setup in my 88 IMP 22' walkaround(currently for sale). I rebuilt the engine myself. It gets a bad rep but is a very efficient engine. Mine has the altenator conversion but still has the points. The biggest problems with them are the stator/ alt combo, rusting oil pans, and the exhaust manifold corroding and dumping antifreeze into #4 cyl. Do you have the aluminum exhaust manifold with the cast iron reservior? This is the engineering fault of dissimilar metals in a corrosive environment (salt water). It is exactly what happened to mine (broke two pushrods and fried the exhaust valve). Parts are expensive as well. I have a complete disassembled spare engine so if you need parts let me know. In this time of high fuel prices the engine will be very economical to run. Good Luck.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
The Bottom button is for trimming down , The middle is for trimming up untill it hits its limit switch and pushing both top and middle buttons allow you to Put the drive all the way up for trailering or beaching.

OK, I'll go with that. It's been a long time since I had anything black on my transom ... :goodjob

lime4x4

Reaction score
My exhaust manifold and riser are cast iron. The only thing i'm having trouble locating are the alternator conversion brackets. I've found complete kits with alternator but all i want are the brackets. I have plenty of marine one wire alternators.