How far offshore would you take a Chase 263?

guido

Reaction score
Just wondering what the capabilities are of the Chase 263. I know there are a lot of variables, but lets say a novice Captain on a good day. Also give me an idea of some really crummy conditions the Chase got you back safely in.

Thanks,
JC

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Start off close, the Monster Ledge is close by, and you can get some nice sharks there, it is just where you lose sight of land. I would work the Mud Hole a few trips, in June and July there are makos, threshers and other sharks, and in july and aug there are usually schoolie bluefins to troll. As you gain experience, move to the Glory Hole where the fishing is more consistent. I would say the Chicken Canyon is at the maximum of your range. Last season we had some great schoolie BFT trolling at the W side of the Glory. In the Fall, usually during Oct there is bluefin chunking at the Monster Ledge and other areas of the Mud Hole, most fish were 30-50lbs, but a few over 100lbs were landed. You can also do trips for mahi and follow pots in the mud hole and cast or troll for mahi, usually this fishery is very good, but last year was below avg at best, the fish seemed to stay south of us with the exception of a few days here and there where people found fish. Keep checking reports for shark and tuna on the midshore reports, If you need links to sites to watch I'll pm them to ya. When you see reports within range, it is time to make a run. You should have no problems running 50miles offshore in that boat if the seas are right. Usually early season fishing is more predictable then later.

guido

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply! Please send those links to me about offshore reports.

Thanks,
JC

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
guido said:
Just wondering what the capabilities are of the Chase 263. I know there are a lot of variables, but lets say a novice Captain on a good day. Also give me an idea of some really crummy conditions the Chase got you back safely in.

Thanks,
JC

The boat can likely handle harsh conditions better than you or the crew.

"Getting back safely" is at least as dependent on the experience, knowledge and skill of the skipper as it is on the boat itself..

So, take small steps to build your experience. Read some good material about small boat handling, particularly in rough weather. Learn how to really interpret weather predictions, indications, and reports.

Good rule of thumb: Take the wave period in seconds, divide it by the wave height in feet. If the quotient isn't TWO or greater, then it will snotty and you might want to stay inshore..

Brian

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have several friends who routinely fish a 263 in the stream. This is 60nm from SE NC. Pick your days, have all safety equipment in good order, have a 406 *registered* EPIRB, and pick your days. Staying in touch with other boats is also a very good idea.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Assuming twin power (I believe they all do) I would take it to the Edge.... 100nm from Ct.....

I take my 265 Express there often......

I would just watch the weather closely, pick the right day, bring a liferaft, ebirb...

Tim

GulfGrady

Reaction score
We routinely fish 50 to 60 miles out in the Gulf without any problems. A big factor for me being that far from shore is to have XM or Sirius weather on board along with all the safety gear.

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
guido said:

Thanks,
JC

as far as i felt comfortable :wink: ...not to be a smart azz...but...what kind of experience do you have ??? how 'bout the boat? what ya got fgor equipment ??? all important questions...how's the elecrtical system set up on the boat ???

guido

Reaction score
I think the biggest factor is my experience/confidence in my abilities should something go wrong. The boat is in excellent shape, in fact I had two extra gel cell batteries installed in the console just for electronics and as a backup to the two main batteries. I have twin Yamaha 150's, which give me plenty of power. I really wanted to get a feel for how far out most people go with this type of boat. It's funny, I was on a charter boat once and I asked the Captain how far out he would take a 27 ft. grady, and he said from his experience on what can happen out in the Ocean he would not leave the bay. I am not so sure how accurate that was, but it made me consider that mother nature could ruin the day without warning. My major concern would be what to do way out with a mechanical problem, or if the conditions got nasty etc.

Thanks,
JC

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Staying calm and keeping your wits is important should something go wrong? A motor over heat, hitting a floating object....

Develop a plan, when you get on the boat for the trip - show everyone on board were all safty equipment is. Designate someone in charge should something happen to you. Be sure the person in charge is capable of handling the boat.

Confidance and over confidance is a gray line.

If you want to make yourself nervous, read the book "Dead Man Tapping"
It goes into stories about what has happen to very experienced captains and how they handled it. (Ultimatly is about a fishing boat ran over by a barge) but the spin off stories are amazing.

Tim

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
guido said:
I think the biggest factor is my experience/confidence in my abilities should something go wrong. The boat is in excellent shape, in fact I had two extra gel cell batteries installed in the console just for electronics and as a backup to the two main batteries. I have twin Yamaha 150's, which give me plenty of power. I really wanted to get a feel for how far out most people go with this type of boat. It's funny, I was on a charter boat once and I asked the Captain how far out he would take a 27 ft. grady, and he said from his experience on what can happen out in the Ocean he would not leave the bay. I am not so sure how accurate that was, but it made me consider that mother nature could ruin the day without warning. My major concern would be what to do way out with a mechanical problem, or if the conditions got nasty etc.

Thanks,
JC

it's all a matter of your experience...good example is running at nite,do you have radar ??? are you able to operate it the correct way ? do you understand what's shown on the screen ? what scale do you run it on ??
i bring up running at nite,reason being,our area,you're running a long distance to go fishing,you wanna be there early,so...gotta run at nite...i think i've got more miles running in the dark than running in the daytime !!! :wink:
equipment on the boat is real important,you say you have a"extra" set of gel cell batteries in the console??? other batts gel cells ?? are these batts seperated and dedicated ? i preach this for a reason,too many times i hear guys on the radio asking if anyone has a jump pack or an extra set of batteries,that's advertising you're stupid...it shows these guys are running improper electrical systems,and here's the best part,i promise you,if the batteries are dead,a boost pack is useless :wink: doubt me ??? run your batteries to the brink of death,hook up a boost pack and let me know if the engine cranks over...leave the spreader lites on all nite and try it in the morning... that's the reason i preach the electrical systems...
next is general boat manitainance,that being,extra fuses,a simple set of tools and a set of engine fuel filters,and zip ties !!! don't laugh...be sure you know what everything does on the boat,make sure you know where every shut off valve and every fuse is located,you need a general mechanical aptitude...and you need a good first aid kit and you need to know how to use that !! and last,you need "offshore" life jackets,with battery powered lites atached to them,make up a ditch bag,hand held water proof vhf,and gps,along with flares and a mirror,and a big bunch of cylume lite sticks...this stuff will save you life...

you need an anchor,chain and enough line to anchor up,if you don't have enough line you need a sea anchor...
check the weather offshore,use the bouy sites,this is real time information...forget what you hear from some of these guys..."my grady can run at 28kts in 4'-6' seas",that's not true and it's dangerous for you to believe...the worst is the print ad that grady had "weather advisory...get the grady",it showed this threatening sky ...don't believe this stuff...you wanna head out when the wind is forcasted to be less than 15kts,anything more and you're gonna get your butt kicked...contrary to what you've heard,that rig in a 3'-5' sea is not a nice place to be...when i refer to these sea sizes,i'm talking about seas not swells-BIG difference..a 5' sea every 10 seconds is a swell,it's no problem,however,that same 5' sea every 4 seconds is gonna beat you to death...learn how to give yourself a forcast...run around in the daytime with the radar on,learn what everything looks like on the screen,get familiar with all this stuff...then start out small...run out to the middle grounds,25-40m off,get familair with the long runs,then push the limit...if you get the bermuda high,then take a run to the canyons...nothing beats catching a big fish off your own boat....
hope this helps...

guido

Reaction score
I am so glad I asked this question. Thank you so much for all your time, this is extremely informative. All my batteries are gel cell. The two in the console are dedicated to the electronics and I connect shore power to keep them charged. They can also be used as a backup to the two engine batteries, also gel cell, by flicking a switch. I am going to purchase an EPIRB this week and yes I have radar and limited knowledge on it's use, but enough to feel comfortable at night. My next project is mapping out all the fuses, as you suggested. I can tell from what you wrote in terms about mechanical and boating knowledge I don't belong to far of shore just yet. Perhaps where all the party boats go over by the mud buoy should be my limit, until I get more knowledge on my systems and rough water operations.

Thanks so much!
JC

freddy063

Reaction score
battery savers http://www.prioritystart.com/ps_marine.html
every year i find something that helps on offshore trips.
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/ ... fault.aspx
http://www.reveresupply.com/new_revere_ ... RIDGE.html
http://www.reveresupply.com/new_revere_ ... suits.html
and that book "Dead Man Tapping" was very, eye opening to said the lease. We have the CAT that runs between Portland and NS. Canada. I always keep a lookout for it, that sucker moves. But any ways back to the items needed for offshore, add everything needed plus all the normal items,and if it all fits, then your boat might be big enought .But even if you have everything you think you need, the most inportant item is that thing you put your cap on. Learn how to use it and you'll never need anything eles. I look back at some of the times I was saying to my self "I learned from this and I'll never let that happen again". Ya right.
Have fun and learn,we all do ,some of us not as fast. :shock:
hope that helps.

guido

Reaction score
Freddy,

Thank you that was very informative. I like the statement that if you can fit everything you need into the boat and still have room that your boat is big enough to go off shore.

JC