How to: Installing battery charger '94 Sailfish

lmcfad01

Reaction score
I have a '94 Sailfish 252 and am looking for some guidance on the best battery charger for my application, location to install, and any other ideas on achieving my goal of keeping batteries charged betw runs and running mainly DC power at dock on weekend trips. I currently have 3 batteries; 2 for engines (twin 200 yam) on a selector switch, and one house battery with on/off switch. I just bought the boat so I not to familiar with type and size of batteries.

Thanks

TerryP

Reaction score
I just went through this process for my Seafarer. After much research, I bought and installed a dual-bank (10 amps/bank) NOCO Genius charger. Several years ago, I put a Dual Pro charger in an earlier boat and also liked it very much. I don't think you could go wrong with either brand. Both are made in the U.S. (except for Dual Pro's lowest cost models), have excellent customer reviews, good factory support and the right features. Both are waterproof and have independently operating banks, temperature compensation, microprocessor control with staged charging and a maintenance mode that turns the charger on and off periodically to keep the battery at full charge (rather than a constant trickle charge which can shorten battery life). A three-bank charger for your sailfish in these brands will run about $240-$260 online.

Before you order a charger, be sure to check the available space in your boat against the charger dimensions. If you're using gel batteries, you need to specify that when ordering a Dual Pro. Good luck with your installation, whichever way you go.

lmcfad01

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I know our boats have a little different config but where did you locate the charger? Is it pretty easy for a DIYer? Also, I was thinking about adding an outlet close by so I can just plug in the shore power and have an outlet for portable electronics...just seems neater to me. Any experience with this?

TerryP

Reaction score
I put my charger on the inside of the front wall of the battery compartment. There was nothing complicated about the installation or the electrical connections. It was a little frustrating trying to hold washers and lock washers between the unit's mounting holes and the compartment wall in the limited space and visibility I had. Had I been smarter, I would have first glued these to the back of the unit or to the wall, and life would have been simpler. My NOCO unit came with stainless screws and washers. Being a little obsessive, I substituted larger stainless washers and lock washers and of course put 3M 4200 sealant in the holes and on the screws. The connections were simple---there is a cable for each battery, with the end split into a positive and a negative lead. These go over the threaded battery posts and are secured with nuts.

Some charger companies tell you not to put a charger in the battery compartment due to the explosive gasses sometimes released by batteries during charging. I think that's just CYA. I understand Grady installs their optional chargers in the battery compartment as do boat owners I've talked to. But, to be safe, I leave the compartment open while charging to avoid any possible accumulation. For that reason, I did not install the kind of receptacle you mentioned on the outside of the compartment but instead just leave the unit's power cord sticking out of the opening.

I'm not familiar with the Sailfish's construction, but in general, you don't want your charger more than a few feet from the batteries and you want to mount to a bulkhead or wall that has a plywood core for good anchoring and is thick enough that the screws won't go all the way through (unless you plan to thru-bolt which most don't feel is necessary for a charger). I would stay away from the hull. You might want to touch base with Grady--they know their boats inside out and have schematics. Please feel free to get back if you have any other questions.

lmcfad01

Reaction score
Ok...great info. Lastly, I'm assuming your seafarer has 2 batteries hence the 2 bank charger?? I know that 3 batteries does not neccessarily mean 3 banks but I am thinking that I will need a 3 bank so I can charge all three batteries...

TerryP

Reaction score
Right, a three bank charger would be best. It's possible to charge multiple batteries in the same bank,i.e. your two starting batteries, with one output of a dual charger by connecting the batteries in parallel. However, battery people say it's best to charge each battery separately because they will most likely be at different states of charge and should therefore be charged at different rates. A "smart charger's" microprocessor will charge each battery according to its particular condition, maximizing battery life. My knowledge of electrical systems is very limited but this makes sense to me. The three bank charger doesn't cost a lot more anyway.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
lmcfad01 said:
Is it pretty easy for a DIYer? Also, I was thinking about adding an outlet close by so I can just plug in the shore power and have an outlet for portable electronics...just seems neater to me. Any experience with this?

I hope you're talking about a 12 volt outlet. Adding true "Shore Power" is a whole different ballgame. Also, your situation may be different but my marina supplies 110 protected with 30 or 50 amp breakers. When I added a battery charger, I wired a 20 amp fuse in line to protect the charger from an overload. Just a thought...

lmcfad01

Reaction score
Journeyman,
correct...I am not trying to install true shore power, just an outlet that the charger's power cord is wired to so that I can plug shore power into that and not have any loose cords. This way I can install charger in the bilge and not have the wire sticking out. Maybe use the extra recepticle for portable electronic charging. About the in-line fuse, dont the new chargers have some type of surge protection like built in fuse?? Either way, I guess installing extra one would be an easy addition just to be safe...

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The charger you have chosen may be internally protected from overload but the wire and plug is not and could overheat. My dock power is 30 amp so i installed a 30 amp marinco receptacle and use a 30 amp power cord. When I wired the charger up, I cut the plug off and hard wired it to the receptacle with a 20 amp in line fuse on the hot leg to protect the wire to the charger from overheating and possibly catching fire.

This is all assuming you looking at a 30 amp circuit.

If you want to use the dock power for power tools, computers, etc., think about this and an extention cord.
A little extra but much safer!!

Dockside 30A to 15A Adapter with Ground Fault Protection
30%20amp%20GFCI.jpg

lmcfad01

Reaction score
Sounds good....that's probably what I will try to do also.

Do you think it is necessary to add zincs if the boat will be in the water a few days at a time while on trips? It is kept on a lift normally so no zincs now but I read somewhere that if dock power is connected to batteries and batteries to engine, you should have them....thoughts?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Your motors should already have zinc anodes. Check and replace if necessary. Do so at least on a yearly basis. Check to see if you have zincs on you trim tabs if so equiped. My boat is in the water all season and have never put them on my trim tabs. There doesn't seem to be a lot of stray current at my marina.

lmcfad01

Reaction score
Any other opinions on installing the charger in the same compartment as the batteries?? It seems like there are mixed opinions on this but I'm not sure where else to locate it on my Sailfish. Want to have the power cord flush mounted so I dont have the cord showing nor have to keep the compartment open....