Hydraulic steering

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seastar unit, can't seem to get more than 2 seasons out of the ram seals before they start to leak. Does this indicate another problem? Anybody else have this problem?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
How old is the cylinder? Sounds as if you may have some wear on the ram that won't seal when the seals get a little firm ... :?

catch22

Reaction score
If there are any scratches or nicks on the shaft You'll get leaking.
Also, the aluminum brackets on the end of the shaft need to be lubricated. You have to remove them, (it can be a real pita) and grease both areas, the ram, and the motors pivot rod. If not, they can bind up and cause a little bit of flexing on the shaft.
Here's a link to Seastar FAQ's... see #33 and 38;
http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/FAQs/faqs.htm
Finally, your supposed to apply a little grease around the shaft seals.

catch22

Reaction score
BobP said:
Time for new ram.

Not necasserily... like I said, if the mounting brackets are bound up, it will cause a twisting action that will oval out the seals, causing a leak. It's one of the most overlooked things.

If you have nicks or scratches, sometimes you can smooth out the shaft with fine emery cloth.

Read the info in that link.

greenhabah

Reaction score
catch22 said:
Also, the aluminum brackets on the end of the shaft need to be lubricated. You have to remove them, (it can be a real pita) and grease both areas, the ram, and the motors pivot rod. If not, they can bind up and cause a little bit of flexing on the shaft.

I'm trying to replace my seals on the ram but got stuck at the "PITA" part. Any tricks to getting the support brackets off of the ram? Heat? Hammer?

Reaction score
I'd suggest you get on the Maverick/Hewes boat forum(my other great boat) and search on hydraulic steering.Several members have repaired their own and posted step by step pictures.I believe they even estimated time to accomplish as well as price for the kit.

catch22

Reaction score
greenhabah said:
catch22 said:

I'm trying to replace my seals on the ram but got stuck at the "PITA" part. Any tricks to getting the support brackets off of the ram? Heat? Hammer?

Yes... you got it... heat and a hammer. Concentrate the heat on the aluminum bracket, near the support tube. Obviousely be careful, so as not to damage the aluminum brackets with a hammer, (I know... not very easy, lol). A brass, (or some softer metal) hammer might be the ticket.

If you can manage to get one bracket off, you'll be able to remove the steering cylinder. You can try using a pipe wrench on the remaining bracket, (cover bracket with a rag) for some leverage. Rock the bracket back and forth to free it up. You might end up pulling out the support rod, (from the tilt tube) but no big deal. Clean up the support rod and the inside of the tilt tube, (on motor) grease up the rod and re-install.

Give the cylinder shaft, (ram) a good inspection. If you do have any minor scratches or tiny nicks, you can go over it with some fine emery cloth and polish them out. Clean up the shaft and then change the end glands, (seals). If you have any serious nicks, you'll probably end up leaking again soon, so you might consider replacing the entire cylinder.

Worse comes to worse, (assuming you have a Yamaha) here's a link for an HC-5345 - http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Teleflex ... inder.html

When you re-assemble everything, grease up both bores on the bracket with a long lasting grease. I like OMC's Triple Guard. The reason those brackets need grease is because, in certain steering/tilting positions, they actually pivot a little bit. If they're bound up, it can cause a slight bending of the ram, which distorts the seals. That's one reason the newer style cylinders, (like the 5345) rotate, or twist at each end of steering travel. It also extends the life of the seals.

Good luck.

catch22

Reaction score
By the way...

Again, I don't know exactly what model cylinder you have, but... I replaced an HC-5340-42 with an HC-5345 last year. This was on a 2002 Yamaha 200 HPDI. I still have the original end brackets and support rod. They are in excellent condition. So if you end up bashing the pi$$ out of your brackets :twisted: ... (and if mine are the same type)... your welcome to them.

greenhabah

Reaction score
Re: By the way...

catch22 said:
Again, I don't know exactly what model cylinder you have, but... I replaced an HC-5340-42 with an HC-5345 last year. This was on a 2002 Yamaha 200 HPDI. I still have the original end brackets and support rod. They are in excellent condition. So if you end up bashing the pi$$ out of your brackets :twisted: ... (and if mine are the same type)... your welcome to them.

Thank you. Hopefully I won't need them but will let you know if I do. When I asked the dealer for any tricks, his response was "beat the crap out of them but the brackets aren't made anymore so if you crack them you will need a new cylinder".

Not sure which cylinder I have. The label fell off a year or two ago. It is a 1995 Yamaha 225 with Seastar 1.7 helm pump.

I'm going to get help this weekend.....I know someone else will hit it harder than I did.....I was scared.

catch22

Reaction score
Re: By the way...

greenhabah said:
Not sure which cylinder I have. The label fell off a year or two ago. It is a 1995 Yamaha 225 with Seastar 1.7 helm pump.

The older brackets were longer. I measured one and it's 6 inch's long. The newer one's are considerably shorter.

I'm 99% sure that yours is the same as my old one, (HC-5340-42). Even if it wasn't the same exact model, the support brackets were all the same, (part # 809900).

You can look in the instruction manuals in the second group, (Seastar... not Baystar), (book 1 - top of the list) and check out the older style support brackets. You'll see the difference as compared to the newer ones, (part # 839120) in book 1.1, (second on list) - http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/SHARED/g ... iles.htm&1

To really see the difference, look at the diagram on the top of page 1 of book 1, (older-longer).
Then look at the diagram on page 1 of book 1.1, (newer-shorter).

gw204

Reaction score
Take the whole hydraulic system off and put on a Teleflex rotary NFB 4.2 system. You can get the helm and cable for under $150 and never have to worry about seals again.

There's no need for a hydraulic system on that hull with that motor. Had the same system on my old 204 w/ 150 Merc and it worked beautifully.