Idea for side business. Looking for ideas/opinions...

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Great Grady members I need all your thoughts and wisdom. I'm currently a full time employed marine technician in Nassau county on Long Island. I have 10 years of experience and currently being sent to school for mercury/mercruiser, Yamaha, and Volvo Penta to become certified for my dealer.

I enjoy the mechanical end of the business but I really enjoy the rigging/outfitting part of the business more which I don't get to do as much anymore.

Some of you might remember my thread promoting King Starboard fabrication. I got a lot of hits on that from this site and Craigslist. Unfortunately I no longer work at that marina with the carpentry shop but I'd like to start up a small part time mobile business and get back into it.

I have most of the tools and equipment I'd need. I'd really just need a 7x16 enclosed contractors trailer and build a small mobile shop in it. I'd really like to promote the rigging and outfitting work more so than mechanical service only because there are no guys really doing it especially young guys. Not to say I'd give up mechanical service, winterizing, and shrinkwrapping but there is a lot of competition with that already. I'd more or less just offer it as well. From my experience customers like dealing with one person rather than Multiple people. So offering to be a one stop shop certainly won't hurt anything.

I know there's more than likely a few self employed people on this site. I'm just looking for any thoughts or wisdom for a young guy trying to start something on his own.

Thanks,

Jason