Indian River, DE and Delaware Bay

batojim

Reaction score
From the looks of it, there may be enough folks in this area to plan an early summer hoe-down, hoot-nanny, break dancing, sock-hop, water meet and greet, grady water-fest! :lol:

Seafarer228G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The hoe-down, hoot-nanny, break dancing, sock-hop, water meet and greet, grady water-fest sounds good to me!! :D

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Award for furthest attendee?

Depending on when you have this gig, maybe we'll take a run up from Norfolk. Perhaps even make it a Delmarva circumnavigation...

Brian

batojim

Reaction score
Grady Gig

It is written: all great gigs begin with two or more. How about late August? Ideas on timing? 8)

It is also written: all great navigations begin with the turn of a screw. The Dlemarva circumnavigation is something my wife and I have talked about. Any ideas how long that would take? :?:

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Delmarva

I've done Delmarva circumnavigations by sailboat. :D

As to how long it will take in a Grady, that depends how much you want to run, how much you want to visit places, how much time you have available, your comfortable cruising range on a tank of fuel, and what effects the weather may have on your plans. And of course, how much you slow down to FISH!

As an example, if we ran from here in Norfolk up the coast to your gathering, we would stay there for at least a day. Leaving there, I might decide to visiti the pretty little town of Cape May for an overnight. From there, head out through the Cape May Canal, up the Delaware, through the C&D Canal, and then perhaps a nice night at anchor in one of the creeks just below the eastern end of the C&D. But I could just as easily run to Baltimore, or Annapolis that day. A couple of days in the northern Bay - St. Michaels, Solomon's Island, etc, and then a run back home.

We went up the Bay for a week in July 2003. Norfolk - Crisfield - Solomon's - Kent Island - Solomons - Norfolk.

Piscatus

Reaction score
batojim-
Late August weekend works for my family. Before August 18th, we can make it any day. We will be coming from Longneck Rd. so you name the time and place and we will be there.

I will also pass along the eventual details to a buddy of mine who is taking delivery of his 330 Express in April. :shock:

Jeff

A

Anonymous

Let's shoot for late August, like the 18th. I am willing to act as the organizer although an event like this requires the input and planning participation of all involved. Just to get things going, how about if we:

1. Morning: "check-in" (a meeting of like minds and pursuits)
2. Noon: Great Grady Parade (Flags, horns, and pictures)
3. Early Afternoon: Raft up (checking out the boats)
4. Afternoon and early evening: Grady water hoedown-hootnany (music, food, drink, games of skill and chance)
5. Evening: Great Grady "Banquet" with prizes and awards

:D

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Out-of-Towners

Well, no one really responded to my post about coming up from Norfolk.

Are you folks open to out-of-towners coming up to join your party?

What type of facilites are available in the area for transient dockage? anchoring? etc?

Brian

batojim

Reaction score
Brain, it would'nt be the same without you, your wife, and C-Time. The oversight is due to the fact that I thought you were already in! Folks, everyone is invited.

There is some transient space available at the Indian River Marina and more at Ocean City. While I beleive that there is ample anchorage in Indian Rive Bay, Whites Creek, or, say, Rehoboth Bay, perhaps someone can help me with a more definitive answer to the anchorage question.

I am throwing some thoughts out there and if there is interest we can start some actual planning to have a great event.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Great

Will mark in on the calendar, and hope that nothing comes up at work to preclude our joining the fun.

Asked about anchorage, but probably more interested in a slip so we can run the A/C. Of course, can bring the Honda EU2000 and run the A/C on the hook... :D

Have been in Ocean City a couple of times, but never in Indian River. Where will folks be gathering for the festivities? Don't want to be far away from the games, the beer cooler, or the comaraderie.

Brian

batojim

Reaction score
Hey, folks. :idea: Have not forgotten the festivities. I am going to wait until late March to start planning the details. In the meantime, if you have ideas and/or suggestions, send them along to me directly or by posting on this site. Thanks. Jim

Dr. Kleen

Reaction score
get together

I am gonna try to make the run up there, havn't decided if i'm gonna do it north or south from Solomons. Will have to make it a couple of day trip.

jeff d

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Re: get together

Dr. Kleen said:
I am gonna try to make the run up there, havn't decided if i'm gonna do it north or south from Solomons. Will have to make it a couple of day trip. jeff d

If you make it southbound, we can give you a slip here at the condo docks for a night, then we could run up together - if you don't mind tagging along with an Islander.. :)

Brian

Dr. Kleen

Reaction score
southbound

I would prefer to go south, so if I can arrange it, I will be glad to run it up with you. Thanks for the use of the dock, and that makes it a little easier, as I can do it over more days.

Hopefully everything works out and we can make this trip work out. Looking forward to it. Just passed my CG Captains course, so I can put my skills to work!!

Jeff D

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Re: southbound

Dr. Kleen said:
I would prefer to go south, so if I can arrange it, I will be glad to run it up with you. Thanks for the use of the dock, and that makes it a little easier, as I can do it over more days.

Hopefully everything works out and we can make this trip work out. Looking forward to it. Just passed my CG Captains course, so I can put my skills to work!! Jeff D

Well, we just keep watching the progress, and see what happens.

Congratulations on passing the course, and having new skills to use is always great.

Brian