Installer recommendations for Simrad electronics on LI

Helwan1979

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi everyone,

I am new to the community this is my first boat I have a 2004 seafarer 225 Yamaha 4 stroke. I am an avid fisherman based on the south shore of Long Island. Any recommendations/cost estimates for a reputable installer for gps chart plotter/3g radar bundle?

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
CMI in lindenhurst. I've heard good things about them and I will be there over the winter to get an upgraded system installed

vinpaa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I used Hampton Navigation to install the transducer on my 282 Sailfish. They were great and super responsive.

I installed the Simrad NSS12 Evo3 and 4G radar package myself, honestly not that hard. Bought it from West Marine during a 3x points sale and a $500 mail in rebate.

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Not sure where you're located but, John Byrnes at Shinnecock Electronics does great work. Installed 2 NSS12 Evo3s, Halo 24 radar on a pedestal, 3D structure scan, chirp through hull sonar, precision 9 compass, and will be doing my auto pilot next season.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Helwan, I would suggest doing it yourself (if you are not in a hurry) great way to find out the new boat intimately. I believe with the instructions that come with electronics today, it is certainly doable and a great project. Have installed all my own electronics and have enjoyed the process. There is so much help on this forum, this could only go sideways temporarily. Go for it! Cheers, trapper

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would have to agree with trapper. I've got the same boat as you and I enjoyed stripping out the old and going back with the new. Allows you to learn your boat better incase there is an issue while out on the water. That installer won't be on the water with you if something comes up.

Here's a partial gut of some of the old stuff I removed while doing mine.
20170428_210815.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
I kind of disagree with the DIY solution since this is your first boat and I assume you don't have a lot of experience with boat mechanics and electronics. If you are going to opt for a thru hull transducer and need to make a new hole, I especially recommend a reputable installer.
Although some say the install is easy, it may be quite a challenge especially with the network portion, config and setup.
I am curious about what the boat came with in the electronics area. If it already is wired for electronics and has a thru hull transducer, it would make sense to see if that transducer is up to snuff and if it makes sense to select an electronics package that can use some of the existing infrastructure.
Let us know how things go.

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I would agree and would do only what you're comfortable with. I replaced and installed new electronics on my previous 268 Islander, but had a pro install the through hull transducer. When it comes to putting a hole in the hull, I felt better leaving it to the experienced and insured. Once in I finished running all the lines and connecting everything up.

Another option is to find an experienced friend to help you. I do agree with getting to know your boat and simple repairs is a great way to start. Regardless, I know how everything is currently connected and works on my current boat without doing the install myself. I just discussed everything in detail with the installer and went through it meticulously before and after the install.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Agree it is all about the "comfort level" on taking on a install of any kind. I just find a satisfaction in the completion of my own install, and lay back quite shocked when it actually works. I believe the more of this you do, the more comfortable you become with the projects. Gain a better understanding of the workings of "your " yacht. GG is a world of friendly info with many guys leading the way with so much information to share. Cheers, trapper

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
True, I forget sometimes I've been at this awhile. Baby steps, but try a few simple things and start gaining knowledge as you go. Next time around, you want to upgrade something, you've had practice at it and won't think twice about tackling it.