Intermittent Tick Sound at Helm When Turned to On

GradyZ

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My 268 Islander will be going in tomorrow and have upgraded the chartplotter from a Lowrance Elite to a SIMRAD Evo3 unit. The past power cord installation that came with the boat was the basic neg (black) to the battery, red(to the accessory switch). 2 wires. I mimicked the same method here.
When I turn the key to ON there is an intermittent tick that seems to be coming from the hours gauge. I'm going to disconnect the cord to see if the tick continues despite the new SIMRAD cord but the unit seems to turn on fine. Any ideas? Again, engine is off, just power when my key is in the ON position.

Screenshot_20200531-044042.jpg .

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The tick is normal. The mechanical hourmeter advances in tenths, and that ticking sound is the tenths advancing. Working as designed....

Reactions: Viking88rd

seasick

Reaction score
It's funny that you didn't hear that ticking before:)

GradyZ

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yeah... I have about 3 hours total on her since I bought it last November so haven't had much time being in Massachusetts. Thanks everyone!

GradyZ

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well the SIMRAD is back up. After pulling it all apart and testing each point found that if the inline 5A fuse is pushed all the way in the rubber housing it was losing power. Pull that fuse about half way out and the power came back on. Fun times