Is a 225 much more stable than a 208?

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I measured my boathouse and the 275 is a close call.Plus my lift is rated at 8000 and the 275 with fuel would push the envelope. So now I am looking at a 225 tournament. But, with just 2 more feet will this be much improvment in ride?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
But, with just 2 more feet will this be much improvment in ride?

Yes, it will be an improvement. "much" is hard to define. I've ridden in older 208s numerous times and own an older 225, and the 225 is hands down the better ride in similar conditions. I'd assume the difference is similar in newer hulls, too ... :wink: [/i]

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd have to agree you will notice a decent amount of difference in the ride. It will not be huge but you will notice it. A longer running surface helps, and the CG of the boat is a lot better on the 22' Gradys then it is on 20' grady's. The 20' Grady's ahve an aft CG which is not what you want ideally. This will make the bow rise and fall more in rougher seas. On the 22' boat, a CG that is further towards the center of the hull will provide a much nicer ride. I'm not saying it will be flat but it will be a lot easier on those onboard, and have a bit less bow rise in the rough stuff.

striped bass

Reaction score
The Tournament 225 hull is 500 lbs heavier and the CG is better since it has no cuddy cabin aloft as previously mentioned. The 225 is rated for an F250 power plant as is the 208 but GW dealerships will tell you the 200 HP is the best option for a 208 - point being that the weight goes down even more. Also if you select the option for the additional gas tank capacity in the 225 you will definitely have a lower CG and more stability. As discussed at length in earlier posts, the cuddy cabin usually winds up as a storage area for "stuff" and are not really used as cabins as such especially on a boat that small. You got it right the first time with the 225. Please post a pic when you get your boat.