Islander 268 - Anyone ever pulled forward gas tank

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I planning to replace my gas tanks on my 1997 Islander 268. The aft tank looks easy but the forward tank looks like a problem. I followed a number of posts involving Islander fuel tanks but none of them dealt with the forward (main) tank.

I'm trying to figure out how to remove it. Has anyone done this on this model? How did you get it out!

Anyone have photos of forward compartment between helm and companion seat?

Last edited:

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 99 268. Pulled the rear tank last winter. I use the front tank since it was in much better shape. I didn’t need the quantity of gas since I repowered with 150 4 strokes. Is your front tank leaking?

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Here is the best pic I have. It shows the rear ended of the forward tank.

Attachments

• CF1B363A-7BB5-401E-9E78-CEC716CC9773.jpeg
    CF1B363A-7BB5-401E-9E78-CEC716CC9773.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 73

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Here is another photo. Cut the bulkhead and slide it out. Not going to be easy and a bulkhead super strong repair will be needed.

Attachments

• 774173D4-E909-4CBB-8B6D-8E9BDEFE7697.jpeg
    774173D4-E909-4CBB-8B6D-8E9BDEFE7697.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 59

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Here is another photo. Cut the bulkhead and slide it out. Not going to be easy and a bulkhead super strong repair will be needed.
I followed your thread and saved the pictures last year.

So did you cut the bulkhead and slide the tank back to remove it? Or just pull the aft tank and leave the front one as is?

My tanks are not leaking yet. I smoke tested and pressure tested last year and both were fine.

Although I could make the bulkhead repair I would avoid cutting it. Forward tank could come out in pieces thru the forward access. Replace with a smaller tank. Like you I don't need the all that fuel.

I have not pulled the forward hatch but I did run a tape measure up there. Tank doesn't go all the way to the next bulkhead. Tank is wider than the opening but there is a larger void over the tank under the deck.

I just popped the access port. Water tank sits on top of a screwed down floor on top of tank. Ruler check has the tank at 32” wide and deck opening at 16”. Feels like the tank is 60” long under the deck and goes all the way forward.

Getting complicated. I really need to talk to someone who was done this on this model.

Last edited:

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I did not replace the front tank. It’s holding well. The aux tank is actually ok also but I wanted to get the weight out of the boat. The bottom of the aux tank had corrosion but was still holding and no leaks. I’ll pull the main tank in the future but for now, I watch it, rinse it and drain the bilge to be bone dry. The boat is trailer kept.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I talked to the tank builder and fiberglass guys yesterday. That bulkhead does have to be cut out to remove/replace the forward tank and repaired. I have to pull the deck hatches and take the boat to them to get a quote.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That sucks. You may have seen my thread - I had to cut a 6" area off of the bottom of a ply member to get my front tank out too. But it was far easier than what you face, OP.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Another photo.

Attachments

• 4F9736F7-6BD3-47A9-A9E8-BD2F1DB7835E.jpeg
    4F9736F7-6BD3-47A9-A9E8-BD2F1DB7835E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't think cutting that bulkhead would be difficult? I would think you can just make the cut just wide enough to slide the tank aft, then replace the tank, then simply glass in the same piece you cut out with some epoxy and wet out some glass about 6" wider on each side of the cut and it isn't going anywhere! I would use some thickened epoxy on the wood edges to fill/seal it so when you lay the glass over, it is flat and smooth.

Reactions: Paul_A

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Cutting the bulkhead out and repairing it doesn't bother me. I did my bow thruster a few years ago. I'm more concerned about the length of the tank and if it will come out of the hole without cutting the aft bulkhead. I have also heard that replacing the hoses can be a problem and the the deck may need to be cut.

I have a quality fiberglass shop locally that I'm trying to get into to have them to quote the job. While I have the deck up I'll check the tanks. I checked them last year and they were ok. Maybe do my Florida Winter trip and replace the tanks next year.

deepdesire

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Cutting the bulkhead out and repairing it doesn't bother me. I did my bow thruster a few years ago. I'm more concerned about the length of the tank and if it will come out of the hole without cutting the aft bulkhead. I have also heard that replacing the hoses can be a problem and the the deck may need to be cut.

I have a quality fiberglass shop locally that I'm trying to get into to have them to quote the job. While I have the deck up I'll check the tanks. I checked them last year and they were ok. Maybe do my Florida Winter trip and replace the tanks next year.
Hey Hookup I too run a 268 a 1996 model whos tank is also not leaking but definitely living on borrowed time. I was wondering if you ever got that price from the local glass shop? I was winterizing today and through the deck plate on the helm there are two more pry out plates that cover the mounting brackets for the forward tank. I pryed them up and took a look inside. There are several corroded cancerous looking spots on the top of the tank. At this point they are not leaking. I do not want to risk loosing the tank mid season so I am seriously considering tank replacement. I repowered with a Suzuki 300 and loaded up I get an average of 2 mpg. I dont need a 134 gallon tank but it is convenient. I will continue to follow your posts and will post with my progress.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I sent you a PM. Sure we should sit down and talk.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just finished mine this last weekend, and the only really tough part was pulling the new lines. I used the old electrician's trick where you make a tape "cone" at the front and use pulling ribbon to yard them through. We ran the ribbon in 3 of the 4 paths, so the 4th required some magic. Still dirty in the cockpit, but we got it all done...

PXL_20211031_175335138.jpg

PXL_20211031_215345695.jpg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I just finished mine this last weekend, and the only really tough part was pulling the new lines. I used the old electrician's trick where you make a tape "cone" at the front and use pulling ribbon to yard them through. We ran the ribbon in 3 of the 4 paths, so the 4th required some magic. Still dirty in the cockpit, but we got it all done...

View attachment 23548

View attachment 23549
I'll have to try that! The glass guy's said sometimes they are easy and sometimes they have to cut the deck. Ouch!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
This was posted by STEELHEAD on another thread:

I attempted to remove my '95 268 Islander 134 gallon tank by cutting the bulkhead directly behind the tank. With said bulkhead removed, the tank would not come out due the length of the tank in relation to the steps. I toyed with the idea of cutting the bulkhead forward of the batteries to see if that would provide enough room to slide it out. It didn't look like (to me) that would provide enough additional room to slide the tank out due to the stairs. I didn't cut that bulkhead to try it. I tried to research, short of calling Grady, but could not find any detailed info. This was a few years ago. I wound up using a borescope to inspect the tank the best I could and set it back in place. Hopefully someone has experience with this I would be very interested in your progress. Historical discussion with a little more detail regarding my removal attempt in link below.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I don't really need all of the 134 gallon forward tank. If it simplifies things I would cut the bulkhead out, slide the tank back and chainsaw it in half. Install what fits!

Another possibility is to leave the bulkhead alone. Cut out the steps and deck up to the cabin. Lift tank straight up. Less of a structural repair. This will depend on the tank size. Also the confidence of the glass guys that it can be made to look new again.

Last edited:

Cadeco

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I just found out that my "main" tank is not there, anyone has any idea of where can i get one and since its not there what would be the best option: aluminum or plastic?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm reviving this thread and starting to investigate replacing both fuel tanks. The forward one is difficult. I know of at least two other 268 owners that are thinking about doing the same.

This is from GW Cust Service today:

"I am sending the drawings with dimensions for the fuel tanks on your model. I'm not sure which auxiliary tank you have so I have attached both. Yes, the tanks are installed in the hull before the deck is attached. You can remove the bulkhead, but if you do make sure that it is replaced and glassed in."

With the bulkhead between the tanks cut out there isn't enough room to slide the forward tank back and out. I need to talk to my glass guys later this week to see what they think.

Attachments

• 19-144 134 Gal 268.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 26 gallon 268.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 72 Gal 268.pdf
    12.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Reactions: BobH1

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The best option that I see, is cut the middle bulkhead, slide forward tank out aft, cut it and then extract it. Add a new tank that fits without having to cut out the rear bulkhead and also add to new rear tank. This should easy add up to 150 gallons. That being said, I’ll never do this! I’ll add a 100kwh battery pack and two electric outboards before I swap out another fuel tank!