Islander 268 Minn Kota Trolling Motor Install

Islander268GW

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I know there is not much out there for trolling motor install on some of the GW walkarounds. I wanted to share this recent install (took two people) in hopes of giving ideas to those looking to do the same.

I installed an 87" MK riptide terrova and wanted it angled across the bow for a somewhat save deployment. I hope this helps those considering the same and I cannot wait to test it out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200322-173317_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200322-173317_Gallery.jpg
    709 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot_20200322-173425_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200322-173425_Gallery.jpg
    813.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_20200322-173500_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200322-173500_Gallery.jpg
    852.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20200322-173524_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200322-173524_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot_20200322-173545_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200322-173545_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20200322-173752_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200322-173752_Gallery.jpg
    879.6 KB · Views: 120

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Neat idea. I'm curious to hear how it works!

Couple quick thoughts about safety... I'll assume you're OK with the bow rail losing integrity, but you should either put a large "stopper" on those ends, or cut them closer to the stanchion. Otherwise... Fall just right and they could seriously harm someone.

The batteries... Keep the cabin open/ventilated (ideally the deck hatch) when using the trolling motor and especially when charging them. Batteries can, and do, offgass hydrogen gas... as in the "Hindenberg". Obviously, sleeping in there should never take place.

Islander268GW

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I still have cap the ends of the rails...probably going to use bullet style plugs. Also, the bow rails are still very sturdy and provide plenty of support to scoot around!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Wow. That came out nice. I'd see if you can relocate those batteries. Can you do something more toward the middle of the hull? Giving up some prime space there unless it is configured for sleeping all the time.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
im interested to know why you installed on the bow of the boat instead of the stern ? Ive thought of adding a trolling motor at some point. and would like to hear about this. thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
im interested to know why you installed on the bow of the boat instead of the stern ? Ive thought of adding a trolling motor at some point. and would like to hear about this. thanks
You have pretty much zero steering control if mounted at the stern. For it work, you need to "pull" the bow around.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I still have cap the ends of the rails...probably going to use bullet style plugs. Also, the bow rails are still very sturdy and provide plenty of support to scoot around!
This is obviously just my opinion, but I'd try and find something larger than just bullet plugs. Even with those, something nasty can happen if someone fell against it - possible impalement or poking an eye out. Imagine being up on the bow... it's a choppy day, there's less bowrail to grab onto and you have to highstep around the trolling motor, to boot.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You have pretty much zero steering control if mounted at the stern. For it work, you need to "pull" the bow around.
is that specific to electric trolling motors? Ive only seen trolling motors on bows on bass boat types. not ocean boats..

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
is that specific to electric trolling motors? Ive only seen trolling motors on bows on bass boat types. not ocean boats..
Yes. Small prop, small power. Just not enough oomph to properly maneuver. From the stern, the waves/current/wind would constantly be pushing the bow around. Same would happen with smaller boats, just to a lesser degree.

Islander268GW

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I ended up using 3/4" pvc end caps over the rail ends where I cut...they seemed to go on snug and definitely take away any sharp edges!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200410-183533_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200410-183533_Gallery.jpg
    799.6 KB · Views: 38

Cary

Reaction score
That's an interesting install, I went round and round about where to put my trolling motor a month ago, same motor you have. I finally worked out a location on the bow pulpuit and have tried it now 5 times and love it. Didn't remove the rail, it takes a slight technique to get it in and out of the water but after 4 or 5 tries I got it down pretty good. I have been in 20knot wind and current one of the times to see if it would hold my boat - Marlin and it did great. I mounted the batteries up in the front under the anchor locker area in the cabin, perfect location to put 3 batteries. I am very happy with the install - Dave at Reliable Marine in Solomons Island MD did the work for me.

Attachments

• trolling motor bow.jpg
    trolling motor bow.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 89
  • trolling motor.jpg
    trolling motor.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 76

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This is my setup on my 228. And contrary to popular belief, I can control the direction that the bow goes in. Granted this is used when I have no wind, otherwise I'm on a drift with socks out.

20170813_152212.jpg

Reactions: Cary

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Northeast ocean wreck fishing or tuag along the banks they are awesome and have to be on the bow. I would love to install this just can’t bring myself to mounting that on the bow. Over the weekend use my wreck anchor but the guys with that setup can move and lock positions so nicely over different structure.

o yeah forgot to add.Original poster I have seen ppl put the bow rail on a hinge and bar top style open the bow rail before deployment. Unless you got the auto deploy and don’t want to be bothered going to the bow.

DaveN

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That's an interesting install, I went round and round about where to put my trolling motor a month ago, same motor you have. I finally worked out a location on the bow pulpuit and have tried it now 5 times and love it. Didn't remove the rail, it takes a slight technique to get it in and out of the water but after 4 or 5 tries I got it down pretty good. I have been in 20knot wind and current one of the times to see if it would hold my boat - Marlin and it did great. I mounted the batteries up in the front under the anchor locker area in the cabin, perfect location to put 3 batteries. I am very happy with the install - Dave at Reliable Marine in Solomons Island MD did the work for me.

First of all, nice looking install! I am picking up a new to me 300 Marlin this weekend. I've been searching online for a while, but yours is the first I have seen with a trolling motor. I'm pretty excited to hear that it holds your Marlin well. I may be copying your install soon. I'll probably put a hinged section in the rail, though to make deployment easier. Are you still able to use your windlass ok with the trolling motor installed where it is?

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Nice! How well does it hold?

I have seen them mounted on the swim platform down here on Parker's/Grady's and use them as a sea anchor. Anchoring off the stern for bottom fishing is also something you see down here that's probably not popular in other areas.

TigerPaws

Reaction score
Model
Journey
Nice install for both of you. I’m thinking of doing the same to my 258 Journey WA. I was thinking of having it on a bracket mounted at the end of my pulpit such that when TM is stowed , the shaft would be in line with the centerline of the boat. I would likely install the TM on the bracket only after running out to the reef. I realize I may have to cut the railing. I would hope that the factory pulpit could handle any stress. Any problems with this? How heavy are these larger TM?

Reactions: JLK225

ebeaucha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Do you have a pic of the battery location?

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi Cary,

What shaft length did you get?

BobP1953

Reaction score
Model
Islander

Great install. What model and shaft length did you use?
Thank you