Islander Anchor line capacity

dduflo

Reaction score
I have an '05 Islander 270 and I'm going to install a Lemar Pro Fish 700. If I use premium 1/2" Pliat line with 15' of 1/4" chain how much line will fit into the anchor locker? Remember tha I can not "Fill the Locker" I need at least 18" of drop from the windlass when all said and done. Thanks for the feed back.

dduflo

Reaction score
OK. Let me rephrase my question. Will the Islander anchor locker hold 300' of regular 1/2" line?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure how it compares to my 265 express but I have 300ft of 1/2" anchor line with 20ft of heavy chain. I have a ton of room in my anchor locker, when I run offshore I keep a 100ft line with a sea anchor in there and still have more then 18" of clearence. I'd pm forum member ocnslr , he has a 26 islander and is usually very helpful and informative. I had 250ft of 1/2" anchor line on my 22 seafafer so I'd think 300' should fit on your boat.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
There's 300-feet of 1/2-inch windlass-grade New England Ropes line, plus 30-feet of 1/2-inch chain in the locker under that windlass.

About 12-inch drop to the top of the stack, but the chain does a good job of pushing it all down every time... :D

Bow-3.jpg

dduflo

Reaction score
Thank you for the input. Tells me exactly what I needed to know. Now I just have to wait for the water to soften up.

Islander

Reaction score
I am not as experienced as the two who already responded to you. However, I own a 2004 Islander, installed the Lewmar 700 Pro Fish, with the line/rode dropping through the bolt hole where the factory installed lift ring had been located. This hole may be further forward than the other installations discussed above, which would affect the free-fall distance into the locker. The anchor rode is Lewmar's best 1/2 inch 3-strand with 15' of chain. With that said, I cannot get close to 300 feet into the locker. I ordered both the 150 and 300 foot lengths, but do not use the 300' line.

Since it is the last length of line that causes the problem, I sometimes even have difficulty getting all the line in on a relatively shallow anchor.

I have considered whether the problem is that the line may hit and start bunching up on the steel cross-member to which the lift eye bolt was attached. Ocnslr, any thoughts on this as the problem? Does your line drop through that hole or is it centered over the deepest, widest part of the locker? Even though you posted a great picture, it is hard to judge relative position.

Is anyone using the 12 strand brait line that is supposed to lay and flake better than three strand to achieve the posted results?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Islander said:
I have considered whether the problem is that the line may hit and start bunching up on the steel cross-member to which the lift eye bolt was attached. Ocnslr, any thoughts on this as the problem? Does your line drop through that hole or is it centered over the deepest, widest part of the locker? Even though you posted a great picture, it is hard to judge relative position.

I don't know where that "bolt hole" is on your boat, but I installed the windlass as far aft as I could on the pulpit. Some have installed them on the hinged cover, just to get them even further aft, i.e. over the widest, deepest part of the anchor locker.

If you removed the lifting ring, why didn't you remove the support structure that went from there to the stem?

If there is anything obstructing the locker I would remove it.

Have not used plaited line. As noted, no problem getting 300-feet of 1/2-inch three-strand into the locker.

Brian