Islander vs sailfish late 90's

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Decided to put my 24 up for sale and go bigger. Looking at these two models specifically mid to late 90s given my price range.

I like the thought of being able to trailer the islander easily. Would love to take it out to Montauk a few times a year. Also like that you can get away with lower hp twin engines. Possibly better on fuel and cheaper to repower.

The sailfish seems huge compared to the islander. I dont need the larger cabin on the sailfish but the extra room cant hurt. Also the wider beam cant be beat. We have both currently in the yard i work at and would take either. Unfortunately ive never been out in either one, only at the dock.

Looking for info on how each model performs. My plan is to be able to take this thing out 20-30 miles with confidence. Im not unhappy with tbe ride of my 24 offshore, i just adjust to the conditions. However i would imagine either of these two would be a big difference.

Right now im leaning more towards the islander. Would seem to be a cheaper boat to operate and maintain. Just dont want to regret not getting the sailfish.

Thanks

barclayrl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you want to tow, go with the islander. If you want to wet slip get the bigger boat.

If you get the islander let me know. I have torn mine apart and did a refresh on it. I may be able to help answer questions

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi there. I am very happy with my '95 Sailfish 272, but then I live where I can by picky about the weather, so I don't go out in rough conditions.

My understanding of the Islander is that it's basically the Sailfish with an easy-to-tow beam. So if you'll be towing, I'd take that pretty seriously.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The islander was offered in single and twin motor options, not the sailfish - twins only.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Regularly fished 75nm off Virginia Beach for 11 years, and happy to run 65nm out into the GOM the last two years.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I love my Islander. I believe that the Sailfish is about one foot wider and one foot longer.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Islander is a great boat from a tow perspective and deep water use. While you can tow the Sailfish you may need a special permit due to the beam.