It's always something

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Pulled the boat on Sunday.....almost made it to the yard when this happened. Previous owner replaced 3 of 4 hubs a year before I bought the boat and trailer. Now have to fix this before winterizing. Oh well......

Attachments

• hub.jpg
    hub.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 86

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had that happen with a 19 foot Mako on a trailer going 60 MPH. Thought someone hit me. Was lucky the boat did not flip. No truer words - there is always something!

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I had that happen with a 19 foot Mako on a trailer going 60 MPH. Though someone hit me. Was lucky the boat did not flip. No truer word - there is always something!

On the bright side I will add" how to change a trailer hub" to my ever expanding set of skills.

Reactions: Legend

Fishtales

Reaction score
Gotta inspect trailers often and have a maintenance plan. Horrible if something happens on the road.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Been there... done that... Luckily discovered the issue when pulling the wheels off to put new tires on.

Before and after.

IMG_8376.JPGIMG_8377.JPG

Fishtales

Reaction score
yikes... can you get better quality rotors that don't rust like that for trailers like you can for cars/trucks?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Yes you can , stainless steel especially for boat trailers . I have them in my trailer, they don't rust , brakes work very well but rotors wear much quicker due to softer metal.
I use Kodiak S/S rotors , calipers and brackets, about 3 times the price but will last at least 3 times the mild steel .

Fishtales

Reaction score
I used Kodiak last brake job on my car. Everything looks great a year later.

Now for the thread, got the call that the starter in the generator wouldn't turn at winterization. I had it running 2 weeks prior. I swapped it out 3 years ago. Can't believe it went again. Spring job....

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well.............just to add insult to injury...I called EZ Loader with my VIN number and ordered the whole hub replacement kit. Not just the bearings. I knew I would pay a premium for it from them but figured get original equipment parts and do it right. WRONG..........previous owner replaced axles with sub standard ones and the kit does not fit properly. I had to get the boat off the public street and into the yard so I had to use what I had and pray (just 2 blocks). Got it into the yard but now I have to buy another kit. Going to cost me about $225.00 instead of $70.00.

Live and learn.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I would use hot dipped galvanized hubs and USA or Japanese made ( not Chinese) bearings. If you stubs are not fitted with S/S sleeves install them as well , I use SKF speedie sleeve they are very cheap and the seals always run on clean surface so they don't let water in. I use Bearing Buddies ( genuine B/B brand) and I never have any problems with water ingression or bearing failure . Current trailer in over 7 years old , still original bearings and seals, I just check them once a year.
Another tip use acorn lug nuts so your studs don't rust, the nuts will eventually rust just replace them, I use S/S lug nuts, again very cheap . If you use S/S nuts you have to be careful when tightening and undoing them because they can grab, I use Loctite anti- seize on the studs.

A0049809.jpg