Johnson power tilt issuse

dadsgirl

Reaction score
Well, we finally got to launch "Dads Girl" Saturday and the big thirsty 1999 Johnson 200 ran great with one issue. The power tilt lowers the engine but will not raise it.
I switched the relays for raise and lower, but no help. Neither the switch on the control lever or engine will raise it only lower it. Could the tilt limit switch cause that problem?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do you hear a click? Do you hear the tilt motor running but the engine is not moving? It's either the relays (which you have checked), low fluid (if you hear it running but it's not moving) or the tilt motor is shot.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
First, check that the manual release valve is turned fully clockwise and is tight. Then if you can raise the engine manually, check to see if it leaks back down by gravity. There is a check flow valve inside of the hydraulic unit that often fails leading to the condition that you describe. Be sure to check the fluid first.

NEVER MIND. I just read your last reply after I posted. If the motor only runs in one direction, it's a relay or switch problem.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Jump 12V+ to the 'up' relay. Does it work? If so, the issue is upstream of the relay. If it doesn't, the issue is downstream. Check wires/connections.

dadsgirl

Reaction score
Thanks, I did some research and found out that there are two hidden 20A fuses in the circuit, could be a possibility. Also found that I can run a jumper wire between two terminals of the up relay and at least get the engine tilted up.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So you've eliminated the motor and fluid. That's a good sign....those are the really expensive parts.

I"d hunt for that fuse....sounds like it may have blown.

dadsgirl

Reaction score
So you've eliminated the motor and fluid. That's a good sign....those are the really expensive parts.

Update!!!
After checking every blue and green wire under the engine cowling I decided to snip the two blue wires that go to the tilt limit switch and butt connect them together, tilt works fine now.