KVH Autocomp 1000

drudd

Reaction score
Hi all (long time lurker, first time post),

I have a Garmin 3210 and GMR 18 on my Journey 258. I have just received my recently ordered KVH Autocomp 1000 heading sensor and will be installing it this spring. The unit is larger than I had imagined from the images in catalogs and on the web! If anyone else has installed one of these units on their boat, I am curious where they placed it and if they are satisfied with its performance. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

D

catch22

Reaction score
I don't know about your Journey, but I installed a fluxgate compass on a Gulfstream, for an auto-pilot. I mounted it, on a plywood bulkhead, in-between the fuel tanks, under the access plate. I never had any issues, it seemed to work perfectly. Of course, your supposed to avoid any ferrous metal, so apparently the aluminum fuel tanks weren't a problem.

The way I understood it was, (for stability and low center of gravity) the ideal location for any fluxgate compass, (heading sensor) should be as low as possible, on the center-line of the boat, (port to starboard) and just aft of the middle, (bow to stern).

jehines3

Reaction score
I went through several of them on a racing sailboat hooked to a KVH sailcomp. They are VERY fragile and DO NOT LET IT GET WET. Do not spike it with DC (engine starting). I think it was the biggest POS electronics equipment especially from a company that does Military spec equipment. We finally modified a tupperware container and installed it in it so it would not get wet, bumped, etc. Cheap replacements used to be had at defender.com, but I don't think many people have them any longer. I hope they fixed some of the bugs over the last 4-5 years. It was horrible IMO. Installation was pretty simple though. jh

Fishtales

Reaction score
I was going to use it, but due to it's size my dealer steered me to the Raymarine Heading Sensor unit as I had Raymarine electronics. It was almost 2X the price, but the fluxgate compass is about 1/5th the size and the electronics can be mounted independently. Worked out great.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My fluxgate for the AP is on the center line on the cross stringer right in ftom of the holding talk valves. This is accessible under the front of the rear berth. The fore bilge pump is also there.

I assume everyone knows most APs can emit NMEA so this also acts as the heading sensor for the Navnat and avoids another $700 outlay.

Heads up. I have seen at least 2 Navnets (mine included) where the installed failed to change the default for the heading from relative to absolute. When this is done the actual compass reading shows up the radar display.

jfmagana

Reaction score
I have a Furuno fluxgate and it's mounted very far forward and low in my 228's bow. Works like a charm. I installed it on a small shelf made of marine starboard lumber. My particular unit is pretty rugged and listed as waterproof, but I agree that some amount of care should be taken in selecting a location.

drudd

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate everyone sharing their actual experience.

Since I already have the unit in hand, I am going to install it. Hopefully the unit has been improved since you used it John.

D

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i installed an autocomp in my gulfstream a couple years ago. it's in the bow storage compartment behind the anchor locker. works very well. i hope i am not misremembering, but i think they are water resistant, not waterproof. the sailcomp is a different design to account for heeling; i guess not enough though.

ron