Last of the 228

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
On Monday the new 228 was shipped to Marinemax in Oceanville,NJ. They left the shrink wrap on so the family and I went over and cut it off. Like opening a giant Christmas present. Here's a couple pictures of the unveiing. Today I went and met with the Martek electronics owner. We laid out the electronics and as you can see in the one picture, I had the helm radio box cover left off so no screw holes. They are making a custom Matt black insert and mounting an 8610 in it. I will post the progress . Hopefully it will be in my slip next FridayIMG_4053.JPGIMG_4066.JPGIMG_4088.jpgIMG_3363.jpgIMG_3370.jpgIMG_3370.jpg

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Outstanding !!!!! Very exciting

Reactions: Alweidner

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
While I'm happy for you and know that you will love that boat, I'm really sad to see the end of the 228. I don't get why they stopped making that boat, it's the perfect boat for cold weather. I've toyed with the idea of trying to get them to open up a Grady-White-West that makes that boat for the west coast but I don't have the money to start that.

You'll love that boat, I love mine.

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks guys. I will be back at the dealership Monday for some updated pics on the electronics install.

Reactions: JJMag

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Congrats!!!! Perma grin I'm sure. I know I would be.
Perma grin is correct. Exciting part was, I ordered this in January and there were no 228's in the dealership. Everybody in this area had theirs shrink-wrapped. I basically bought this site unseen based on a 226 that's about 20 years old next to me in my slip along with memories of an old Seafarer from the 80s that we used to fish a lot in

mjm1957

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Congratulations, you will love it. I have a 1999 228 and use the hell out of it and it is a great boat.Good luck with it.

Reactions: Alweidner

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
While I'm happy for you and know that you will love that boat, I'm really sad to see the end of the 228. I don't get why they stopped making that boat, it's the perfect boat for cold weather. I've toyed with the idea of trying to get them to open up a Grady-White-West that makes that boat for the west coast but I don't have the money to start that.

You'll love that boat, I love mine.
I agree with you 100%. I have had two 208's and I always liked being able to keep things below, a place for the girls to use the bathroom, and the protection on colder days. I guess if you use the boat more for family and cruising, the dual console makes more sense. To each his own. We will certainly use this for the family and cruising but I will do a lot more fishing with it. I will get a longer season with it as it stretches into Striper season. Looking forward to having a boat with a hard copy as well.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I agree with you 100%. I have had two 208's and I always liked being able to keep things below, a place for the girls to use the bathroom, and the protection on colder days. I guess if you use the boat more for family and cruising, the dual console makes more sense. To each his own. We will certainly use this for the family and cruising but I will do a lot more fishing with it. I will get a longer season with it as it stretches into Striper season. Looking forward to having a boat with a hard copy as well.
Unless the dual consoles have canvas/eigenglass that can make a helm like the walk around, they are warm weather boats.

The 228 is a fishing *machine*. Great for places that aren't warm.

Grady seems be trying (and probably succeeding) to sell to warm weather climates. Center consoles and dual consoles have a ton of models.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Time to update your signature. Congrats!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Love me some new boat VOCs!!! Congrats on the boat. I am in the Florida Keys with my 228. Great Keys boat of you ask me. I see many here. You will love the boat.

Alweidner

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Love me some new boat VOCs!!! Congrats on the boat. I am in the Florida Keys with my 228. Great Keys boat of you ask me. I see many here. You will love the boat.
Thank You. Which key are you in? Hoping to do Islamorada this winter