Leaking wash down pump

Motivator

Reaction score
The washdown pump on my 06 Sailfish is leaking at the intake. It appears that the fitting (elbow) from the hose to the pump is where it is leaking from. I have tightened everything twice and it still leaks so I am thinking it has to be the fitting itself. Not much room to operate in down there so before I spend the time removing the fitting I am wondering if there is anything else that it could be?

Thanks in advance.

ahill

Reaction score
The washdown on my Sailfish leaks on the output side. Leaks just enough for pump to cycle every few minutes. Easy solution is to leave the pump turned off until needed.
I found that the Shurflo elbow was crossthreaded, prob at factory. I'm going to try using a PVC elbow with pipe dope for a fix before removing the deck access hatch.

Motivator

Reaction score
My problem is that when the sea cock is open there is a constant leak which accumulates rapidly in the bilge. Not a good situation.

ahill

Reaction score
That is definitely not good. I was able to unscrew my fitting and inspect it and the hose to fitting connection. It could be that your hose is leaking at the fitting and not the fitting itself.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Those Surflow fitting aren't made to be cranked on to tighten. You can pick up a new set of fittings and see if that solves the problem. Don't make them that tight.

dduflo

Reaction score
I had a problem with mine leaking when in use and realized that the 1st winter i laid up my Islander I may not have made certain that the pumps were winterized correctly. Water in the pressure switch freezes and pops a seal. Almost impossible to fix. I had to get a new pump. My dealer took care of it- - no questions asked.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Inlet side hoses under little pressure and therefore no challeng to not leak.. They are to be double clamped and never are to leak, get that fixed, and keep the valve closed when not in use.

Hang a sign on dash to remind you to close valve before leaving boat until it is fixed.

Motivator

Reaction score
Dealer has new fitting in stock. Will start with a new fitting and see what happens.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hope it's the fitting, pump head may be cracked.

When the pump is off and sea cock is open, there's only about a 1/2 psig of pressure per foot of height under sea level (below water line).
Not much at all pressure, but an endless supply of water to sink the boat !

Double clamps are in case one clamp fails due to falty material.
Double clamp everything below the water line, or near to it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Double clamp everything below or near to the waterline, IRRESPECTIVE OF WHAT SIDE OF THE PUMP IT IS ON.