Lee Wishbone outrigger mount

kbartler

Reaction score
About to install a set of 1 1/2” lee wishbone mounts on my 268 Islander. Any tips or advice from any of you who have done this install before would be much appriciated.

I will be attaching 20’ carbon fiber telescoping poles to them.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
They eat up a lot of the "walking" space, and have a strong tendency to bite your legs as you try to squeeze by. Forget it when deployed.

We bought our Islander new with a soft top, so when we had a hardtop fabricated we had a choice on outrigger locations. See the pic in my signature.

If you do install them, you will have to remove the shelf insert next to the helm to access that area for backing plates, washers and nuts. Easy on the port side if you have a companion seat to remove.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When we purchased our Marlin it did not have outriggers. I installed Lee "Seniors" myself ( I think they are actually MX series). Grady was able to send me a sketch that I used to give me the approximate locations for the mounting plates, without it it would have been very difficult. I also searched this site and the rest of the internet for Marlins that were fitted with similar setups. As ocnslr suggested, make sure you use backing plates and large fender washers. We fabricated roughly 3/8 inch thick aluminum backing plates, roughly 3 inches by three inches, they worked well. If I recall all the hardware was 1/4" diameter ss bolts, fender washers and stop-nuts.

I would reach out to Grady and do a Google search for images of your boat for the location of the outrigger bases. Oh, and I agree with ocnslr, they can (and do) hurt when you walk into the mounting brackets.

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 268 islander. I put the lee wish bone outriggers with the 19.5 foot heavy duty poles. They are perfect for the boat. It is a little tight getting around them but worth it. I angled them so they do not hang past the back of the outboards. I set it up so the pulley attaches to the cabin so you can walk around without worrying about moving the outriggers lines.