Livewell Recommendation

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
In my 2000 228, I am slowly starting to fix my livewell that isn’t working. Today, I swapped the old breaker with a new one as no power was going to the switch. The switch now has power but no water is pumping into the livewell even though the seacock is open.

My assumption is that the connection between the wires felt apart (need to find where the wires are running in the bilge) or the motor is done.

I have been researching the newRule pumps and it looks like they stopped making aerators/ oxygenerators. Therefore, I was wondering what recommendations anyone has on a new livewell pump and/or aerator. Right now, I do not have an aerator.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Rule 4664498 Fc Tournament Series 800 Gph Livewell/aerator W/ Seacock Inlet

With extra outlet for deck-wash, if you don't have another pick up.

Thanks - Maybe it’s just mislabeled on Xylem/ Rule’s website as they only show this listed as motor cartridge and not the full kit, which show discontinued or obsolete. Probably making a big deal out of nothing but was hesitant to replace with Rule if they are no longer making them.

So if this unit is combined, how does this work with those people that have a timer for the aerator, which I think you are one of them from past threads.

Note: I do have a seperate intake for wash down.

seasick

Reaction score
Usually aeration is provided by the fact that the tank is frequently or continuously being 'refilled' with sea water. Livewells that are not connected to a fresh supply of sea water will often have a separate aerator attached.
The description 'livewell/aerator' for the pumps mentioned is a bit of a misnomer. Yes it is a pump but by itself it doesn't add air to the water. Rather it pumps water that has air in it.

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We just did this last week on our ‘99 226. There was a crack in the body of the pump so we replaced the whole unit. The only issue we had was getting the body loose from the hull connection. We did it while the boat is still in the water and we needed a large adjustable wrench to hold the nipple off the hull valve in place while we used a large pipe wrench to break the base loose. It took some torquing to get it loose as I envisioned snapping the hull valve off while still in the water.
Bought the unit indicated above from Amazon, I think it was around $60 or $70. Found out the hose wasn’t all that good either so ordered 14’ of 3/4 hose, check valve and clamps from Defender. About another $60. Works fine. I know the 228 is plumbed differently than the 226. We don’t have a standpipe in our well, just the fill, drain and near the top is an overboard discharge. Plug the drain, water comes in the fill until it gets to the overboard discharge and the well maintains that level.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We just did this last week on our ‘99 226. There was a crack in the body of the pump so we replaced the whole unit. The only issue we had was getting the body loose from the hull connection. We did it while the boat is still in the water and we needed a large adjustable wrench to hold the nipple off the hull valve in place while we used a large pipe wrench to break the base loose. It took some torquing to get it loose as I envisioned snapping the hull valve off while still in the water.
Bought the unit indicated above from Amazon, I think it was around $60 or $70. Found out the hose wasn’t all that good either so ordered 14’ of 3/4 hose, check valve and clamps from Defender. About another $60. Works fine. I know the 228 is plumbed differently than the 226. We don’t have a standpipe in our well, just the fill, drain and near the top is an overboard discharge. Plug the drain, water comes in the fill until it gets to the overboard discharge and the well maintains that level.

Thsnks - I have a feeling mine won’t be easy either as it probably hasn’t been replaced in its twenty years.

Did you consider replacing the ball valve in the off season? Wondering whether I should just fix the pump or replace that valve as well while I am down there...

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for all the feedback. Going to buy the one that was shared in the link and replace in the off season.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Thanks - Maybe it’s just mislabeled on Xylem/ Rule’s website as they only show this listed as motor cartridge and not the full kit, which show discontinued or obsolete. Probably making a big deal out of nothing but was hesitant to replace with Rule if they are no longer making them.

So if this unit is combined, how does this work with those people that have a timer for the aerator, which I think you are one of them from past threads.

Note: I do have a seperate intake for wash down.
I sometimes wonder why GW have two pick ups, 2 holes on the hull for what? My old boat only had one as she didn't have washdown. I used the same pump as in the link with a second outlet, worked perfect.
Like seasick said the pump will not pump air or oxygen in the tank, just pumps water, you can change the inlet on the bottom of the tank with one that creates some bubbles but you don't need that, the 800 Rule pump will keep them alive even if the tank is full . I have a timer ( again not necessary ) because I don't want to run my pump all the time if I only have half a dozen livies. You can do that manually turn it on and off, I don't want to muck around as it takes away from my fishing time.
If you want to install a timer just do it after the normal switch you have on the side panel. So you turn the main switch on, then it powers the timer and you adjust the timer to suit . Some people bypass the main switch and just use the timer, I'm not one of them. Each to their own ideas.
If your boat was a salt water boat all it's life check the ball valve while you are in the bilge ( by the way enjoy, not much fun ). If the valve is in good nick just leave it but you may have to replace the small arm that comes off the valve. My old boat was the same age as yours but she was a fresh water boat all her life and everything was like new, even the gas tank. You won't have any problem unscrewing the existing pump, grab it with multi grips, it doesn't matter if you damage it a bit but try not to break it.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I sometimes wonder why GW have two pick ups, 2 holes on the hull for what? My old boat only had one as she didn't have washdown. I used the same pump as in the link with a second outlet, worked perfect.
Like seasick said the pump will not pump air or oxygen in the tank, just pumps water, you can change the inlet on the bottom of the tank with one that creates some bubbles but you don't need that, the 800 Rule pump will keep them alive even if the tank is full . I have a timer ( again not necessary ) because I don't want to run my pump all the time if I only have half a dozen livies. You can do that manually turn it on and off, I don't want to muck around as it takes away from my fishing time.
If you want to install a timer just do it after the normal switch you have on the side panel. So you turn the main switch on, then it powers the timer and you adjust the timer to suit . Some people bypass the main switch and just use the timer, I'm not one of them. Each to their own ideas.
If your boat was a salt water boat all it's life check the ball valve while you are in the bilge ( by the way enjoy, not much fun ). If the valve is in good nick just leave it but you may have to replace the small arm that comes off the valve. My old boat was the same age as yours but she was a fresh water boat all her life and everything was like new, even the gas tank. You won't have any problem unscrewing the existing pump, grab it with multi grips, it doesn't matter if you damage it a bit but try not to break it.

Thanks - Hoping to replace almost everything in the bilge this offseason. My boat was a freshwater boat for most of its life but I noticed that the salt air really aged some items rather quickly. For example, the breaker had no rust showing through in May and then in July it was running with rust. Crazy as I saw many people here replaced theirs back in 2008 -2010 having a similar year 228. Everything looks to be original, unfortunately, so I’ll have to get replacing before they cause problems.

I’ll take your advice and inspect the valves. Really nervous about replacing them after my experience trying to remove the cables from the circuit as the terminals were like welded onto the screw and had no choice but to drill the screws. Struggling upside down does not sound like fun.

I am sure I’ll be following up on this when I start the fun for advice

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
While you're down there, check the clevis yoke that connects the rod to the handle of the ball valve. My boat is the same year, and had a steel yoke that had disintegrated at some point before I bought it. TH Marine doesn't sell the yoke separately, (although they sent me one :)), but McMaster-Carr sells the ss one for $9.06. 1/4 X 28

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
While you're down there, check the clevis yoke that connects the rod to the handle of the ball valve. My boat is the same year, and had a steel yoke that had disintegrated at some point before I bought it. TH Marine doesn't sell the yoke separately, (although they sent me one :)), but McMaster-Carr sells the ss one for $9.06. 1/4 X 28

Thanks! I’ll definitely take a look, have a feeling there will be lots to update while I am down there!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The Rule pumps are available in 500/800 and 1,000 GPH models. 3-year warranty. I have had lots of problems with this pump and Rule has been great on warranty replacement. After much experimenting and discussion with Rule tech support I drilled two 3/8" holes in the back of the clamshell pickup and my problems were solved.

Apparently the clamshell pickup put too much pressure on the pump at speed (28 knots is my top end but generally 24 knots). The water pressure has broken shaft at impeller or water gets past shaft seal and damages motor.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
The Rule pumps are available in 500/800 and 100 GPH models. 3-year warranty. I have had lots of problems with this pump and Rule has been great on warranty replacement. After much experimenting and discussion with Rule tech support I drilled two 3/8" holes in the back of the clamshell pickup and my problems were solved.

Apparently the clamshell pickup put too much pressure on the pump at speed (28 knots is my top end but generally 24 knots). The water pressure has broken shaft at impeller or water gets past shaft seal and damages motor.
That's interesting. Thanks for the info