Loaded and ready to go!

Pighunter

Reaction score
Fueled up and iced up with 360 pounds of ice, leaving tomorrow morning at 3:00 a.m. driving 3 hours to fort bragg Ca. to the coast guard station to launch. hopefully catching a load of Albacore tuna. Usually they 30 to 50 miles off shore but they are catching them about 15 miles out, I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
cool, watch the water temp.
excited to hear back how you did.

Pighunter

Reaction score
cool, watch the water temp.
excited to hear back how you did.
Yeah I'm excited, I tried going out for tuna years ago but the warm water mover way off shore and I didn't have enough range. But I think they should be 10 to 15 miles out. Today someone actually picked up two 1.5 miles from the harbor?
We have four other boats meeting up in the morning and a couple of these guys know a lot more then me about chasing tuna, so I'm just going follow and learn.

Reactions: Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ve heard it’s been varying with the bigger albacore being farther out 30-50 miles out. Good luck

Pighunter

Reaction score
Are you camping near Bragg?
No our 10 year old German shepherd blew out a disc in her vertebra two weeks ago. So I'm only able to get away for one day. Plus it's looking like Wednesday is the only day for a calm ocean?

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
You should have no problem going out that far in your boat if you have experience and all is good mechanically. Since I got my Grady my average trip is 80-100 miles RT. This was also the 1st year I got myself a PLB, since it is mostly myself and my son fishing.
My favorite part of each trip in drinking hot coffee as we motor out in the dark.

Attachments

• IMG_9639.JPG
    IMG_9639.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: Bloodweiser

Pighunter

Reaction score
Left house at 3 arrived to a long line at the ramp in Fort Bragg.
@ 2 miles out we hit 60 degree water, 10 miles out we were in 65 degree water, put the lines out out about 8:30. A set of Lee outriggers came with my boat so I set those up we had five lines out all day and never got a bite. Heard a blue fin got caught early then I know one boat got 5 albacore but it was extremely slow all day. Farthest off shore for us was 32 miles and we put a total of 85 miles on the boat trolling. Water temp got as high as 67, 18 hour day ocean laid down like a lake.
I tried to post pictures yesterday but it tells me they are too large.

SIDE NOTE: I traveled 85 miles and used 3.5 gallons of 2 stroke oil! Is that normal?

Trout Poison

Reaction score
85 miles @ 2.25mpg is approx. 38 gallons used.

3.5 gallons of oil for that amount of gas is roughly an 11:1 ratio.

Something aint right. That is waaaaaay too much oil.

seasick

Reaction score
I don't know what motor you are running but if it is a Yamaha Saltwater series, the 'precision oiler system" adjust the oil to gas ratio based solely on the throttle opening position.
At wide open ratio could be 40:1 but at idle it could be 100:1. Regardless your oil burn seems way too high. In most of these cases, the problem is that the oil pump linkage is not adjusted correctly or the linkage has broken or come loose in which case the spring moves the linkage to the highest oil feed rate. At that oil rate at trolling speeds I would expect smore exhaust smoke than normal. In addition, if that oil rate keeps up, after some time, your plugs may start to foul.
So if you have a Yami SX motor, take a look at the oil pump linkage.
It is also possible but not nearly as common for the oil to leak out. Look in the bottom of the lower cowling for oil and look at the main (on the motor) oil tank for oil on the outside or fittings/hoses.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Left house at 3 arrived to a long line at the ramp in Fort Bragg.
@ 2 miles out we hit 60 degree water, 10 miles out we were in 65 degree water, put the lines out out about 8:30. A set of Lee outriggers came with my boat so I set those up we had five lines out all day and never got a bite. Heard a blue fin got caught early then I know one boat got 5 albacore but it was extremely slow all day. Farthest off shore for us was 32 miles and we put a total of 85 miles on the boat trolling. Water temp got as high as 67, 18 hour day ocean laid down like a lake.
I tried to post pictures yesterday but it tells me they are too large.

SIDE NOTE: I traveled 85 miles and used 3.5 gallons of 2 stroke oil! Is that normal?
Just for comparison, I have a 228 with a 2001 ox66 225. I fish out of Garibaldi OR and last weekend we ran around 145 miles round trip, I used a gallon and a half of oil. Two weeks I put in 68 gallons of fuel and only used around 3/4 of a gallon. Anyway, I hope this helps and the fishing was good. Brad

Pighunter

Reaction score
I don't know what motor you are running but if it is a Yamaha Saltwater series, the 'precision oiler system" adjust the oil to gas ratio based solely on the throttle opening position.
At wide open ratio could be 40:1 but at idle it could be 100:1. Regardless your oil burn seems way too high. In most of these cases, the problem is that the oil pump linkage is not adjusted correctly or the linkage has broken or come loose in which case the spring moves the linkage to the highest oil feed rate. At that oil rate at trolling speeds I would expect smore exhaust smoke than normal. In addition, if that oil rate keeps up, after some time, your plugs may start to foul.
So if you have a Yami SX motor, take a look at the oil pump linkage.
It is also possible but not nearly as common for the oil to leak out. Look in the bottom of the lower cowling for oil and look at the main (on the motor) oil tank for oil on the outside or fittings/hoses.

Yes it's a 225 OX66 I'll check that linkage there does not seem to be in oil leaking.