Lobster pot puller addition Grady offshore 24

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Anything is possible - this seems like a relatively easy thing. If it was me, I would seriously consider using a socket in the top of the gunwale (a vertical rod holder, if it's the right size, for example) and a socket in the floor. Drop the whole shebang right into the hole - plenty secure. Then plug it in to the quick disconnects that I would run to the underside of the gunwale. Super simple, and when I don't want it, it's not even there - no sockets on the inside of the gunwale or where a toe would bang into it on the floor.

Gary M

Reaction score
Anything being used in a rod holder would be best served by getting a backing plate for that rod holder first.

Fishtales

Reaction score
looks like a lot of $ for what you are getting. i'd be worried about reliability.
I like the idea of a rod holder arm (albeit you may need to reinforce) and a manual pulley that could be stowed when not in use.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Backing plate... note that I mentioned to run the pipe through a rod holder (or some socket) and down to another securing point at the floor. That will be rock solid.

Sea Shift

Reaction score
I added one off the T-top works great for 75 lb crab traps. Might be a little overkill for lobster pots though. If you drill through the gunnel the one you show mounts to the deck with a pass thru sleeve. Should work fine.

1F26E396-8F52-4ECC-8993-C9110A0A8F57-1759-00000264BB6DC043_zps409f2d3a.jpg

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have used one of these for years. Attached to a Scotty down rigger swivel base they are bullet proof. Use a backing plate (plate aluminium)on the base. Use the scotty down rigger electrical plugs on the Ace Line Hauler. Low profile and easy to store. God Luck! trapper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IekwcTI1KSw

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
trapper said:
Have used one of these for years. Attached to a Scotty down rigger swivel base they are bullet proof. Use a backing plate (plate aluminium)on the base. Use the scotty down rigger electrical plugs on the Ace Line Hauler. Low profile and easy to store. God Luck! trapper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IekwcTI1KSw

Hey trapper, How about a picture of the install and a picture of some of those BC prawns?

Yamama04107

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I pull my lobster pot traps by hand. Was thinking about getting one of those Ace Line haulers also. However I saw somewhere that the rope diameter is a lot narrower than what I use on my traps. I think it's 3/8, and I use at least 1/2". What concerns me is the larger rope diameter will not work on the hauler...by somehow getting bound up in the pulleys.

I think the machine itself would have no problem pulling up the traps, however.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Halfhitch, I will try and get a photo of the hauler in action or at least on the yacht (my baby 208 Grady). And yes Yamaha the heavier rope will work on the Ace hauler. After 10 years of hauling prawns and crab with it, just had a new motor (a newer model and and a little faster) installed. Concerned about the old motor finally giving up with 8 traps between 300 and 400 ft down. These ageing arms and heart would be screaming for mercy. Dropped it off at the factory in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon all done. $225.00 CD. Have not tried it out yet. Great customer service!! Cheers, trapper :D