Locking the doors?

Pighunter

Reaction score
1999 228 I can't get the 2 locks on the doors going down stairs to lock. I have 3 keys that came with the boat, ignition key, Brass key that opens the overhead door and the door on the dash And a very small key that seems to fit (loosely) in the door locks? Nothing seems like it's engaging when I insert and turn the key.

Last edited:

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
does the key atleast go in? you might have to spray some T9 or similar to loosen the mechanism and repeat as needed.

Pighunter

Reaction score
does the key atleast go in? you might have to spray some T9 or similar to loosen the mechanism and repeat as needed.
It does but it dosen't feel right. Is your key a very small silver key?

seasick

Reaction score
A picture of the lock would help but many of the locks on the cabin bi-fold doors use that flat key with a spade shaped tip. The locks may have been installed incorrectly but the way to see what the issue is would be to see how far the handles lift up. If they lift all the way, the lock mechanism is unlocked. If that don't lift at all or just a smidge the mechanism is locked bu that doesn't mean that the lock tab is properly engaging the other tab on the folding door. To check you need to go inside the cabin and see if the lock tab and the door tab (catch) line up. It might need an adjustment of its position.

Pighunter

Reaction score
A picture of the lock would help but many of the locks on the cabin bi-fold doors use that flat key with a spade shaped tip. The locks may have been installed incorrectly but the way to see what the issue is would be to see how far the handles lift up. If they lift all the way, the lock mechanism is unlocked. If that don't lift at all or just a smidge the mechanism is locked bu that doesn't mean that the lock tab is properly engaging the other tab on the folding door. To check you need to go inside the cabin and see if the lock tab and the door tab (catch) line up. It might need an adjustment of its position.
I took the boat in this morning to get new canvass enclosure they are going to have it for 3 days so I tried to lock the doors, so that's why I don't have a picture. Both lock handles open freely so I'm confident they are unlocked. I'll fool with it when I get it back. The key you describe is what I have. When I push it in it does not seem to have a slot to follow it's just very loose in the hole. Today was the first time I tried to lock them and I was not sure I had the correct key.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Does the tumbler turn , maybe I misunderstood. I had a few locks all seized up had to spray a bunch of t9 and keep working the key for the tumbler to eventually turn

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Use finesse, it should work. You need to line up the lock mech below the housing with the key.
2DA8447D-2D12-4604-990B-0DF35CB19B3A.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Pighunter

seasick

Reaction score
I took the boat in this morning to get new canvass enclosure they are going to have it for 3 days so I tried to lock the doors, so that's why I don't have a picture. Both lock handles open freely so I'm confident they are unlocked. I'll fool with it when I get it back. The key you describe is what I have. When I push it in it does not seem to have a slot to follow it's just very loose in the hole. Today was the first time I tried to lock them and I was not sure I had the correct key.
Yup, that os what it feels like, loose in the hole. There are no tumblers like in a conventional lock. If they lock ( half turn) the handles will not lift up. It is still possible that you have the wrong key but to me they pretty much all look alike

TigerPaws

Reaction score
Model
Journey
Are you sure there is a locking mechanism in the latch? I had similar problem with a missing mechanism and had to switch out the latch from another location in the boat where I didn’t need to be as secure

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lift handle to open position and you will see actual keyhole for lock mechanism. This will tell you if locking latch is complete. I have had to fidget with lock previously and believe this is what you are experiencing.

Pighunter

Reaction score

seasick

Reaction score
OK. It's a plan. Like I said if handle lifts up, lock is unlocked. If handle does not lift but lid isn't locked. either latch on back is broken or it is not engaging the catch on the folding cabin doors.

seasick

Reaction score
I think it will all make sense when he gets to the boat.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just make sure it actually has a locking mechanism. I played with mine and wanted to lock it for the same reasons but with no luck. Turns out that there was nothing for the key to latch onto and turn when inserting. Same design and all but there is a gap inbetween that must have broken over time.

seasick

Reaction score
On the back of the handle you will see a little cam lever. When you insert the key and turn, that lever should turn also

Last edited: