Looking to add rod holders for trolling to a 2012 Freedom 275

Horn985

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
My boat currently has the four stock rod holders and I added the T top rocket launcher. I want to add two more to the gunnels and two to the transom. We mostly troll for tuna. Any recommendation on location, angle and brand would be appreciated.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When you say, “we mostly troll for tuna“, is that your past experience, or your ambition?
If you have that experience, you should have a pretty good idea how you want your set up. If it’s your ambition, I would suggest two 0° swivel rod holders, and bent butt rods for tuna.

Horn985

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
When you say, “we mostly troll for tuna“, is that your past experience, or your ambition?
If you have that experience, you should have a pretty good idea how you want your set up. If it’s your ambition, I would suggest two 0° swivel rod holders, and bent butt rods for tuna.
That is our past experience but I am looking to improve the set up. I am in NJ and most of our fish are between 50-100 lb so bent butt are not really needed. I have 6 penn 50tws with custom trolling rods.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You have outriggers?
is this your current layout?
freedom-275-grady-white-27-foot-dual-console-cockpit-overall.jpg

Add 30Deg angled out like your existing 15 deg fwd rodholders. add them in between existing.
You have easy gunnel access. I suggest using gemlux bluewater screwless. The narrower screwless flange will allow you to angle it out without hitting the inside of the gunnel.
Replace the cupholder with a rodholder/cupholder. Same with the cupholders on the bow if you can.

3bc538841dd17d80ecbe5312cf7dfe13.png

Horn985

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
No outriggers yet. Yes that is my layout. Thanks

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a completely different boat as well as setup, of which I also don't do tuna fishing and mostly troll for salmon around where I live in the Seattle/Puget Sound area. That being said, I installed some Burnewiin brand downrigger mounts in place of where the original rear GW mounts were. They look similar to the stock mounts but on steroids and they're a gimbal mount so you can add just about any attachment that you want to them. Not saying you should copy my layout or anything as the boats/fishing styles are completely different, but I'm not sure if there's a company out there that beats Burnewiin mounts in terms of their quality. They're definitely not cheap though, especially when you add multiple mounts and different kinds of mounts together. I bought these GM650's from them, they're a stainless steel mount and look fantastic.

Grady White Burnewiin.jpegGrady White Downrigger Mount.jpegGrady White Downrigger.jpeg

Reactions: Halfhitch

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
No outriggers yet. Yes that is my layout. Thanks
It would be nice to get more on the transom for flatlines to clips. Idk if you have access or room.
Is that a light pole socket stbd side aft?
If you have a hardtop then you don't have or need the light so that would be a good spot for a heavy duty 0 degree swivel for a bent butt 80W...just sayin'...

Whenever you add rodholder you need to think hard about angles so rod tips are away from each other on a strike.
Also, you have to dummy them in to see if the angle you want is going to fit at the angle you want.
Often you DON"T center the top of the rodholder in the gunnel but push it outside so the bottom of the angled rodholder fits in the space.
Don't forget to factor in the thickness of the gunnel.

Gemlux has good dimensional diagrams on their site.

With the open gunnels you don't need the special tool for their screwless rodholders you can use plumbing tools.

Without riggers you could run widetrackers from the existing fwd rodholders, daisy chains in the new ones and flatlines (cedar plug /harness jig) to clips from the corners. Then a WTFB bird/daisy chain in the cupholder. ooh I'm getting excited already...

Last edited:

Horn985

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
It would be nice to get more on the transom for flatlines to clips. Idk if you have access or room.
Is that a light pole socket stbd side aft?
If you have a hardtop then you don't have or need the light so that would be a good spot for a heavy duty 0 degree swivel for a bent butt 80W...just sayin'...

Whenever you add rodholder you need to think hard about angles so rod tips are away from each other on a strike.
Also, you have to dummy them in to see if the angle you want is going to fit at the angle you want.
Often you DON"T center the top of the rodholder in the gunnel but push it outside so the bottom of the angled rodholder fits in the space.
Don't forget to factor in the thickness of the gunnel.

Gemlux has good dimensional diagrams on their site.

With the open gunnels you don't need the special tool for their screwless rodholders you can use plumbing tools.

Without riggers you could run widetrackers from the existing fwd rodholders, daisy chains in the new ones and flatlines (cedar plug /harness jig) to clips from the corners. Then a WTFB bird/daisy chain in the cupholder. ooh I'm getting excited already...

In the past we have run wide trackers from the forward rod holders and a chaos bar from one of the aft rod holder and a Joe shute with bally way way back from the other rod holder. Replacing the cup holder with a rod holder would help along with add a 30d between the two factory holders.

I see that you are out of MI. So am I. PM me if you are interested in sharing intel. Thanks

paydaze77

Reaction score
In the past we have run wide trackers from the forward rod holders and a chaos bar from one of the aft rod holder and a Joe shute with bally way way back from the other rod holder. Replacing the cup holder with a rod holder would help along with add a 30d between the two factory holders.

I see that you are out of MI. So am I. PM me if you are interested in sharing intel. Thanks

i too am actually looking for a few more rod holders for my 307.. i actually emailed GW earlier in the year the cup holder hole is larger than the rod holder, below from GW
The cutout size for the cup holders is 3 ¾” and the cutout for the rod holders is smaller at 2 5/8” . The rod holders that we install will not work in place of the cup holders. The hole cutout is too big. See GW Part #10-286-17 rodholder spec below. Are you looking for vertical or angled rod holder.

Im also out of MI btw.. live in brick.

Horn985

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
i too am actually looking for a few more rod holders for my 307.. i actually emailed GW earlier in the year the cup holder hole is larger than the rod holder, below from GW
The cutout size for the cup holders is 3 ¾” and the cutout for the rod holders is smaller at 2 5/8” . The rod holders that we install will not work in place of the cup holders. The hole cutout is too big. See GW Part #10-286-17 rodholder spec below. Are you looking for vertical or angled rod holder.

Thanks. I will be down working on the boat next week and I will measure my cupholders. I am in Chadwich but go out from MI.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Cupholder/rodholders are 3.25 or 3.375 depending on brand. The screw flange is wider than the flange on the existing cupholder. You do have to think about the flange and if it will hit or hang over an edge when in the existing hole.
I bought cheapo ones on amazon and they do the job for holding rods. They drop right in. You have to drill screw holes unless you get the gemlux brand. You can make or buy a backing plate if needed. If you are going to use them trolling 50s I would get better quality and use a backing plate.

Reactions: Chessie246G

paydaze77

Reaction score
Hey Horn, did you ever replace those oem cup holders with rod holders? its my next project to tackle, i can't seem to find an aftermarket rod/cup holder that will fit in the grady cup holder hole..

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Gemlux has rod/cup holders that should drop right in...

I agree with skunk, if you're fishing for pelagic species. Backing plates are a must.

paydaze77

Reaction score
gemlux website says cutout size is 3.375 grady is saying the cutout size they use is 3 3/4 would the extra half inch opening mess with the integrity of the rod holder while trolling with a 50?

Horn985

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Hey Horn, did you ever replace those oem cup holders with rod holders? its my next project to tackle, i can't seem to find an aftermarket rod/cup holder that will fit in the grady cup holder hole..
No I haven't got to them yet. This weather and market have sucked this year.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
gemlux website says cutout size is 3.375 grady is saying the cutout size they use is 3 3/4 would the extra half inch opening mess with the integrity of the rod holder while trolling with a 50?
Depends on how well, or how sloppy, the original hole was cut, and where the screws/bolts will go.

paydaze77

Reaction score
mine are somewhat sloppy when you look up from the bottom you can see the bottom bevel of the cup holder. i guess they use a jig saw to put them in rather than a hole saw bit?