Looking To Move To Cape Cod

langski93

Reaction score
My wife and I are looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom cottage/home and supply is way down and closing prices are 22% above last year :oops:. Given circumstances beyond my control, we have to do it soon or never. If you know the Cape please share your opinions as to locations that have easy walking or biking to town and decent boat launches to decent fishing. My neighbor prefers the Falmouth end given its access to the Vineyard and interesting inland boating when the seas are up. What about Cape Cod Bay? It doesn't seem as popular or am I misreading the place? I was thinking Maine as an alternative, but SWMBO has indicated that she thinks we will have a much longer season on the cape. Its like when your wife says we need a bigger boat. You shut your mouth and don't argue.

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Lived on the Cape for 7 years, my wife flew for the Coast Guard out of Otis AFB. We still have a house there in East Sandwich, caught this big guy trolling of sandy neck beach, great place to live.. Good luck with your purchase.

Attachments

• E3FC57D5-3D9F-4E88-87F7-1052B659D24B_1_201_a.jpeg
    E3FC57D5-3D9F-4E88-87F7-1052B659D24B_1_201_a.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: Zebulon

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think Falmouth, Mashpee and Cotuit are nice on the south west side. Not a big fan of the mid cape but anything on the 6A side is nice and less summer hustle and bustle. If you are going further Chatham, Brewster and Harwich Port. One issue is the seals and sharks. If you really want quiet, access to the national seashore and a feel of old cape cod Eastham is nice.

There are some down sides on the cape. It empties out after labor day and can be too quiet for some. There is drug problem on the cape, worse in some spots better in others, but it does exist. Traffic during peak times is brutal on the bridges and RTs 6 and 28. Lots of people, traffic and general activity in peak summer months. Rentals are usually Sat to Sat, so that day can be a tough travel day.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I think Falmouth, Mashpee and Cotuit are nice on the south west side. Not a big fan of the mid cape but anything on the 6A side is nice and less summer hustle and bustle. If you are going further Chatham, Brewster and Harwich Port. One issue is the seals and sharks. If you really want quiet, access to the national seashore and a feel of old cape cod Eastham is nice.

There are some down sides on the cape. It empties out after labor day and can be too quiet for some. There is drug problem on the cape, worse in some spots better in others, but it does exist. Traffic during peak times is brutal on the bridges and RTs 6 and 28. Lots of people, traffic and general activity in peak summer months. Rentals are usually Sat to Sat, so that day can be a tough travel day.

You might want to consider towns just north of the cape along the coast...Plymouth, Kingston, Duxbury, Marshfield, Norwell, Hingham/Cohasset. All have decent boat ramps. You'll never avoid the traffic.

Reactions: Greatty

Koby

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
My wife and I are looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom cottage/home and supply is way down and closing prices are 22% above last year :oops:. Given circumstances beyond my control, we have to do it soon or never. If you know the Cape please share your opinions as to locations that have easy walking or biking to town and decent boat launches to decent fishing. My neighbor prefers the Falmouth end given its access to the Vineyard and interesting inland boating when the seas are up. What about Cape Cod Bay? It doesn't seem as popular or am I misreading the place? I was thinking Maine as an alternative, but SWMBO has indicated that she thinks we will have a much longer season on the cape. Its like when your wife says we need a bigger boat. You shut your mouth and don't argue.

I was born and raised on Cape Cod and aside from 4 years in the Army, I’ve lived here my whole life, 49 years. I work as a patrolman for a local police department for 26 years now.

Each region of the Cape has a unique feel, just like New Hampshire does and every visitor or resident has their own preference for these regions.

I grew up in Dennis but live in Yarmouth. Yarmouth lacks the character of some of the other Cape towns thanks to out of control development in the 60’s 70’s and 80’s, in particular, the south side along Route 28. But, overall, I like it here. Bass River is great for boating and fishing and the ramps are all very good. Home prices are lower by comparison to
Other towns overall.

Dennis is a fantastic town with excellent beaches and low taxes. Dennis has Sesuit Harbor which is a great place to launch to fish Cape Cod Bay. The Bay is cold water but very calm most days as opposed to Nantucket Sound which gets lumpy with the afternoon southwest winds.

The drug “problem”, meh...show me somewhere there isn’t a drug problem. The Cape has changed but, so have most places. Nothing is how it “used to be”. But we don’t have cartels dumping bodies or shootouts between rival drug gangs. We have drug addicts who overdose and sometimes die. Occasionally a drug deal will go south and turn violent. But unless one really goes pursuing trouble, you’ll never see that stuff day to day.

If money weren’t an object, I’d live on the lower Cape, say from Brewster to Truro. It has still retained some of the old Cape charm but in the summer the visitors bring tons of traffic. And having said that, the upper Cape does offer amazing fishing around the Vineyard and Buzzard’s Bay.

If you have any questions drop me a PM! I’m happy to help.

Reactions: Greatty

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My family has had a cottage in Mashpee for 10 years. The fishing in the sound may not be as good as the Bay side, but there is a lot more boating. Mashpee's town ramps are well maintained and you can usually always find a parking spot even on busy days. With the town sticker you can park closer if spots are available.

Waquoit Bay has enough to do for a few hours if the sound is choppy, if not its about 5 miles to the Vineyard. Rough days we will cruise the rivers and go shellfishing. I have a town mooring in Great River, the waitlists have gotten longer in recent years, if your considering a town mooring I would get on the list ASAP, you do not have to be a resident for the mooring or list.

Reactions: NiceBass 272

Fishtales

Reaction score
You might want to consider towns just north of the cape along the coast...Plymouth, Kingston, Duxbury, Marshfield, Norwell, Hingham/Cohasset. All have decent boat ramps. You'll never avoid the traffic.

Plymouth, Kingston and Duxbury are all in the Plymouth Bay area and offer coastal boating in a fairly well protected bay that runs from Duxbury to Plymouth. Good fishing in spring and fall there. Marinas avail in all three as well as slips in Plymouth, mostly moorings in Duxbury and Kingston. Long lists though. There is access to Cape Cod Bay near Gurnet (aka Plymouth) Light. It is longer to get to the bay from these areas vs Marshfield and Scituate.

Marshfield has two points of access. Green Harbor has direct access to Cape Cod Bay and basically is due west of the tip of Cape Cod. The second access is the South River, you have to navigate it, to the North River and then out near the tip of Humarock (USAF installation at tip) which is north of GH. It's longer and the river runs fairly quick which makes docking fun at times.

Scituate is north of Marshfield and has a large harbor with a couple of marinas and large mooring fields. Like GH, direct access to the bay once you get out of the harbor. Easy ride to Cohasset or even Boston.

One last thing. As stated moorings have long lists and are generally run by the towns which means lower cost. Some mooring fields are private, expect to pay more but maybe be able to get one faster. Slips are more and most marinas are private. Safe Harbor has the largest in Plymouth and Green Harbor. ~$200 a foot. Plymouth/Scituate I think are a bit higher. Cape is going to be more per foot in most cases with some special spots crazy high.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

Zebulon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I found everything your looking for off the cape. South Coast, Marion , Mattapoisett, Fairhaven, Dartmouth or Westport. All of the amenities with less expensive real estate and NO BRIDGES OR TRAFFIC!!

Fishtales

Reaction score
^^^ Good option if that works for you. Very nice down there and less costly.

Reactions: Zebulon

langski93

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. My wife and I made our second trip to the Cape in as many weeks yesterday and saw some interesting properties. Had a better feeling about not necessarily being on the water or even several streets away, which I think means we are getting to know the layout of the areas a bit better. In most cases we were looking below route 28 and finding some possibilities. I am trying to put my money into location and not the bling that have been added to many homes that have been renovated. Don't get me wrong, I like new appliances, cabinets and appliances, but would rather be closer to a ramp/water and my wife seems to agree. Don't get me wrong because there are a lot of real head turners out there, but I can still do much upgrading myself. By the way, since I am from NH, the Cape property taxes look totally reasonable. Never thought I'd say that. Thanks again everyone, hope to see you out there.

langski93

Reaction score
I found everything your looking for off the cape. South Coast, Marion , Mattapoisett, Fairhaven, Dartmouth or Westport. All of the amenities with less expensive real estate and NO BRIDGES OR TRAFFIC!!
Not sure if Onset qualifies, but yes we are open to those areas.

langski93

Reaction score
I was born and raised on Cape Cod and aside from 4 years in the Army, I’ve lived here my whole life, 49 years. I work as a patrolman for a local police department for 26 years now.

Each region of the Cape has a unique feel, just like New Hampshire does and every visitor or resident has their own preference for these regions.

I grew up in Dennis but live in Yarmouth. Yarmouth lacks the character of some of the other Cape towns thanks to out of control development in the 60’s 70’s and 80’s, in particular, the south side along Route 28. But, overall, I like it here. Bass River is great for boating and fishing and the ramps are all very good. Home prices are lower by comparison to
Other towns overall.

Dennis is a fantastic town with excellent beaches and low taxes. Dennis has Sesuit Harbor which is a great place to launch to fish Cape Cod Bay. The Bay is cold water but very calm most days as opposed to Nantucket Sound which gets lumpy with the afternoon southwest winds.

The drug “problem”, meh...show me somewhere there isn’t a drug problem. The Cape has changed but, so have most places. Nothing is how it “used to be”. But we don’t have cartels dumping bodies or shootouts between rival drug gangs. We have drug addicts who overdose and sometimes die. Occasionally a drug deal will go south and turn violent. But unless one really goes pursuing trouble, you’ll never see that stuff day to day.

If money weren’t an object, I’d live on the lower Cape, say from Brewster to Truro. It has still retained some of the old Cape charm but in the summer the visitors bring tons of traffic. And having said that, the upper Cape does offer amazing fishing around the Vineyard and Buzzard’s Bay.

If you have any questions drop me a PM! I’m happy to help.

Hey Koby, thanks for the great write up.
I have an Adventure 208, if I launch out of the public ramp at Bass River, would I be limited on rough days? Another's opinion was that I would be and on any day its too far to the Vineyard and other areas to the east. You speak highly of Bass River. Are you driving a big Grady?
Regarding the drug problem, its been a huge problem throughout southern NH, but we have not changed our lifestyle because of it and that is in great measure to guys like you in our police departments. Total respect.

Reactions: Koby

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm in Brewster and keep my boat at Sesuit Harbor. I also spend a few weeks each summer fishing off Nantucket... It sounds like you're trailering so you're going to have a pretty wide selection of places to fish depending on what's biting and conditions. The prevailing summer winds are from the S SW so Cape Cod Bay can often be calm enough to fish when Buzzards Bay and Nantucket Sound have really kicked up. Likewise the Bay is miserable with a Northerly, but conditions can be quite manageable in the sound, esp close to shore.

Buzzards Bay can get quite rough because the SSW winds blows straight up it and you get the entire current flow of Cape Cod Canal flowing into it -- some of the roughest conditions I've ever been in have been exiting the canal with the wind against the current.

I personally love Brewster -- it's sort of the town that time forgot.

Koby

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Hey Koby, thanks for the great write up.
I have an Adventure 208, if I launch out of the public ramp at Bass River, would I be limited on rough days? Another's opinion was that I would be and on any day its too far to the Vineyard and other areas to the east. You speak highly of Bass River. Are you driving a big Grady?
Regarding the drug problem, its been a huge problem throughout southern NH, but we have not changed our lifestyle because of it and that is in great measure to guys like you in our police departments. Total respect.

Hi Langski!

Your 208 (nice boat!) will be fine in the Sound, just get out early as it always gets breezy mid-day. With a favorable forecast you can easily do the Vineyard! And if it does get breezy, you’ll be running with it so it won’t be all that bad. Fog can be an issue too on those humid days so that can limit us small boat guys.

I have a ‘98 Tournament 225, it’s a great boat. I keep it at a small town marina and it’s perfect for my family. We mostly beach up and swim. I used to fish a lot but since becoming a Dad, it’s all about my son!

I know NH has been hit really hard by the opiate problem too. It peaked for us already and in the last few years it’s not as bad as it was. Honestly, I think it’s because a lot of our addicts have died. It’s a terrible thing to see happen to a family, I pray my son never goes down that path.

Keep in touch and I’m happy to answer any questions you have!

Last edited:
Reactions: langski93

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I really like the vibe of Cotuit, the Kettle Ho is always a hoot.

Reactions: Koby

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have been to Cape Cod in the summer . it's pretty. I have no intentions of moving there ever, but I sometines wonder how is winter there? New England coastal communities are unique to me being a southern guy. We went to Maine several times as a family ,mainly Acadia area and then up to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland and so forth. I live in the NC Smoky Mountains and come January I truly would love to be back in my native state. Y'all up in New England to me are hearty bunch dealing with the winters there.

Bilpep

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have been going to the Cape for 30 years. We have a place in Harwich. Mid Cape has a great mix of what you are looking for. Great fishing close to the bay and ocean. Also lots of lakes and ponds. Close to shopping. Crowded in the summer so my inlaws who live there all year round go a summer place in Maine.
Short boating season up there unless you like the cold.
Good luck in you new adventure.

NiceBass 272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
i love Falmouth 11 great beaches and some of the best boating marthas vineyard is only 7 miles away I grab lunch there often fishing rips everywhere. also has a great down town and woods hole is really cool and there are a ton of great places to eat. and it is close to the bridge

NiceBass 272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. My wife and I made our second trip to the Cape in as many weeks yesterday and saw some interesting properties. Had a better feeling about not necessarily being on the water or even several streets away, which I think means we are getting to know the layout of the areas a bit better. In most cases we were looking below route 28 and finding some possibilities. I am trying to put my money into location and not the bling that have been added to many homes that have been renovated. Don't get me wrong, I like new appliances, cabinets and appliances, but would rather be closer to a ramp/water and my wife seems to agree. Don't get me wrong because there are a lot of real head turners out there, but I can still do much upgrading myself. By the way, since I am from NH, the Cape property taxes look totally reasonable. Never thought I'd say that. Thanks again everyone, hope to see you out there.

great spot and ramp less than a mile away

Reactions: langski93

langski93

Reaction score
Update to Cape Cod search after 3 rd visit. Today we are making an offer on a 2 bedroom located in West Yarmouth at Lewis Bay, a few streets up from Edgewood Beach. Any issues about the ramp there? We looked hard in the upper Cape, Falmouth, Pocasett, & Cataumet, but very little to choose from, some good, some too $$$ , work etc etc. As this is an offer and still needs home inspection, I would really appreciate pros and cons of this location. We will be there full time in summer for next 3 or 4 years, so most of our activity will not be on weekends to avoid crowds and traffic. Further from Martha's Vineyard than I prefer, but still doable from Lewis Bay in an Adventure 208? Is it impractical to do fairly often? Follow the coast and a straight shot out from Falmouth? Do any of you fish Lewis Bay or close by and or suggest other ramps? Going to put my name on the list for a mooring of course, for my great grandchildren. Any and all input on this particular location appreciated.