Making 24 offshore open transom safer offshore...

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m planning on redoing my transom when it’s repower time. Would love to close it up and put a bracket but I’m afraid of screwing up the boats performance after all that work plus the additional cost of a bracket as well. I love the boat as is and in the very least would close in the transom 6-8” more on each side. I find myself fishing more and more offshore and would like to make the boat as safe as possible instead of finding another boat with a closed transom setup already.

Anyone ever see an offshore with a built in (Gunnel height) Splashwell? Kind of setting it up like a euro style transom? Just curious if it’s been done I’ve searched with no luck.

Thanks

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
not familiar with your existing transom but....

Things to consider-
With motor raised, what is possible?
You may be able to add in a horizontal "seat" over the existing motorwell and use a removable vertical "backrest" when the motor is down.

This would depend on whether the motor raises without hitting the horizontal seat.
I did that on my old V20 using starboard and angle aluminum to reinforce the seat.

Mariner

Reaction score
I have an 88 Offshore with a full transom and Grady Drive for the motor bracket. It isn't the euro style though. I can't figure out how to attach a photo to this link.

Mariner

BigI

Reaction score
I've been thinking of solving the same issue on several boats I'm interested in. If you add a small bracket or jack plate, 12"-18" setback or so, you can tilt the engine up w/out having to fold down the bulkhead. Then you can make the bulkhead fixed by either bolting or fiberglassing it in. Hopefully you can reuse your rigging. Would this address your concern?

Stainless marine has them.

Ratical

Reaction score
This is my 24 with a closed transom I love it, there were a few things I did to compensate for extra weight of the four stroke. My name is Doug call me and I will be glade to explain what I did to ditur transom damage from extra added weight...

Attachments

• 88B65A88-0B37-4535-9BA0-990D25B42089.jpeg
    88B65A88-0B37-4535-9BA0-990D25B42089.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 74

jbrinch88

Reaction score
I guess what I’m thinking of is basically how the newer versions of the offshore were (240 explorer) except I don’t want any folding splash board. Still trying to come up with ideas though.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Your boat is bigger than mine, and I enclosed my transom and added a bracket with one of the heavier 4 strokes (300 HP Verado I6). Everything turned out exceptional. If you want me to link to some videos and what I did, I can share. I had the flotation bracket customized to add additional flotation. I went with custom marine welding vs Armstrong. They were easier to work with and had a better price. Quality seems top notch.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Was curious if u ever started this project?
Also I don't think the open transom is as scary as most people think. As long as your using the Grady door and your bilge cover is sealed good and your cable boot is snug. U must remember that the Grady door should stop the water and it's designed to self bail. Not to mention if u ever get big head seas coming in (rough seas) it will allow the boat to she'd water FAST. Closed transoms won't do that.
I do believe raising the transom a few inches might be good though. I know a few people have already done that. Then less chance of water coming in with fat guys in the back or backing down on a fish.

Reactions: Ryanmc127