Marlin 300 issues

fisher1988

Reaction score
hey all, i am in the market and shopping around right now for a 300 marlin. I am wondering if you guys could help me in giving me some things to look for. What common problems I should look into? What things should i really have the surveyor look into? What year did they switch to the seav2 hulls in the marlin? Is there a year where they removed the wood from transom and hull? I head there were transom problem years, so wondering what years those were?

i have a few in my area of RI/MA for sale right now. Some good options available. All for the most part in the 50-70k range. Mainly looking to 4 strokes or newer 2strokes, I plan on going to see all of them over the course of the next few weeks, so just looking for help on what i should be looking at first glance, to narrow down the options before i have surveyor look at them. Some good options from 03s with 400 hours to 92 with re-powered 4 strokes in 07.

I do have boating experience, currently have a Hydrasport seahorse 230CC, want to upgrade to bigger and need a cabin for the fiance. Most of my fishing is open ocean leaving PJ area.

Fishtales

Reaction score
There is nothing the jumps out on the boats. Depending how old, the biggest risk is wood core getting wet. A good survey can help here.
- Wet transom, decks, hardtop or coring, bang plate condition, water intrusion at hull/liner joint in motor well. Look for any non-factory drill holes and equipment mounting this is where water usually can get in.
- Motor hours, fluid check, compression. Are maint records available for review? Check fishbox/livewell/tackle station lids for cracks chips.
- Verify all systems work. Have enclosure installed so you can inspect. Ensure head flushes and macerator works.
- Bilge should be clean, all thru hull valves work, pumps operate, condition of batteries.
- Cabin. Any headliner cracks, appliances and options work, condition of topside and interior cushions.

Fishtales

Reaction score
For the above, you will have to drop the lower unit to perform and inspection with a scope.