Marlin Bulkhead Noise

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
*** THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED....SEE POST #30 IN THIS THREAD****

I recently purchased a 2018 Marlin 300. While an overall solid boat, I have an issue with noise in the cabin.
There is a fairly loud squeaking noise when under way or just floating in waves. It seems every time the hull flexes it makes this noise.
The noise is similar to that a rusty gate makes.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Marlin or other Grady cabin boat? I am trying to figure out if this is just a "feature" or if there may be a real issue.

Last edited:

hinmo

Reaction score
No such noise in my 99

sounds fishy tho

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't have a Marlin, but that does not sound like a normal feature of ANY boat. I would first look a little closer as to where it's coming from and verify it's not any of your stored equipment making that noise. Another possibility is that it's an accessory item that's not bolted in properly. Barring any of that, I would be that it's a structural item not glassed in correctly. However, it's a new boat - and I'm sure your dealer will take care of it.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
If it occurs regularly, can you isolate the location or get a dealer or factory rep to observe? I'd contact both and see what they can do for you.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I thought I had isolated it to the head shelf below the window. The dealer put a gasket around the area that contacts the bulkhead but it didn't fix the problem. I am concerned it is an issue with hull assembly. Since there is no way to see "inside" the bulkhead I am asking for others experience. If no one else has this problem I will conclude it is a serious issue.

I would appreciate inputs from anyone with newer Marlins. Thank you for the feedback so far.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If no one else has this problem I will conclude it is a serious issue.

That's not logical thinking. If someone else replies and says they have the same sound, then they ALSO have an issue. The sound you are describing is not a normal sound for any boat to make, let alone a "top tier" boat. The main components of a head are typically completely separate entities vs the hull. And there is usually some space between those components and the hull. Now, I'm just making an assumption here, but if this is what is causing the issue, and there is something rubbing between the head liner and the hull, then the large panels of the head could certainly amplify any sound. The sound could also be emanating from lower and simply exiting by the shelf.

I would nicely, but persistently, follow up with your dealer and state that you would like this remedied. You paid good money for this boat and shouldn't be expected to be dealing with this type of sound/issue. There's no reason to think that your dealer would expect you to have to accept this, either.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Logical point taken (DennisG01). I'll rephrase as: if few or no one else has this problem I will worry. If it is in most Marlins I doubt it can be resolved.

Some more information: The sound initially sounded like it came from the head. I now realize the sound comes from several places in the cabin. It can be heard topside as well. It is loudest in the cabin. It is a sound that coninsides with the hull being impacted by waves.

I have already initiated a discussion of the issue with the factory. All I know is it is bulkhead flexing related. It will be up to the dealer and factory to discover the root cause.

So far it sounds like I am the only one experiencing this issue. Any feedback, positive or negative, is appreciated.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I know several Marlin owners besides myself, never heard of this type of noise before. I'd contact GW directly as well.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My Marlin is 10 years old. There are 2 things that squeak like that but are easily identified. My helm seat when I shift positions is the first one and I blame that on a 245 pound FA. The second is the helm area AC outlet cover which is interesting because you focused so much of your video on the head outlet. When I open the helm AC outlet to plug something in, it sounds exactly like your noise. Do you always have that cord plugged into that outlet?

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My Marlin is 10 years old. There are 2 things that squeak like that but are easily identified. My helm seat when I shift positions is the first one and I blame that on a 245 pound FA. The second is the helm area AC outlet cover which is interesting because you focused so much of your video on the head outlet. When I open the helm AC outlet to plug something in, it sounds exactly like your noise. Do you always have that cord plugged into that outlet?
The outlet is for a tv I installed. It does not appear to be the source of the sound. The sound is also there when the plug is not there.
Thanks for listening to the video.

seasick

Reaction score
I listened to your recording and for sure that is not normal and for me is troubling. I think the sounds while at rest in slight rolling seas are not due to hull flex since I wouldn't expect much of that at all. It maybe related to the inertia of the upper structure (above the hull). I would think that the sound could be replicated with the boat chocked on dry land while applying force to the upper structure. It could be a simple a a bad mount of the hardtop structure or as worrisome as a poorly attached deck at the rub line.
Regardless, you need to really push Grady to take a look, Insists that a rep come visit the vessel and send them the video of the issue. I don't think you will have difficulty getting Grady to act on the problem
Good luck

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
How much do you want to get into this, yourself? As opposed to just letting your dealer sort it out? If you want to do this yourself, start taking things apart and investigating further. There appears to be a removable trim panel above the TV outlet and head switch - good first step. Also try pushing and pulling on various things (including walls) to see if the noise changes. You gotta start narrowing it down - and talking 'bout it won't do it :)

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I listened to your recording and for sure that is not normal and for me is troubling. I think the sounds while at rest in slight rolling seas are not due to hull flex since I wouldn't expect much of that at all. It maybe related to the inertia of the upper structure (above the hull). I would think that the sound could be replicated with the boat chocked on dry land while applying force to the upper structure. It could be a simple a a bad mount of the hardtop structure or as worrisome as a poorly attached deck at the rub line.
Regardless, you need to really push Grady to take a look, Insists that a rep come visit the vessel and send them the video of the issue. I don't think you will have difficulty getting Grady to act on the problem
Good luck
Thank you for the feedback. Good point on the inertia vs flexing. I hadn't thought of that.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
How much do you want to get into this, yourself? As opposed to just letting your dealer sort it out? If you want to do this yourself, start taking things apart and investigating further. There appears to be a removable trim panel above the TV outlet and head switch - good first step. Also try pushing and pulling on various things (including walls) to see if the noise changes. You gotta start narrowing it down - and talking 'bout it won't do it :)
I thought I had identified the issue but the fix didn't help. I am concerned that any disassembly will lead to the possibility of making the problem worse or getting blamed for the problem. I think the video should be enough to narrow it down to the point that the factory will get involved. Thank you for the input.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's up to you, of course, but anything that is easily removable (like that panel "appears" to be, anyways) is easily put back on, as well. Besides, no one is going to blame you for causing the sound by removing a simple panel or two. Curiosity would get the better of me...

I'd, personally, still try and go through my dealer for the initial help. You want them on your side - they are your ally. If they turn tail and run, then sure, go directly to mother Grady. But for now, keep them in the loop - let them send the video, if they feel the need.

Reactions: three4one

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Whatever you find, please post the resolution. That is a very irritating sound, it would drive me crazy. My helm seat used to make such a sound prior to replacing it.

My first guess is missing sealant when the top half was secured, or perhaps missing screws under the rub rail as well.

I would think a factory rep would be enroute after viewing your video. Good sound recording.

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Whatever you find, please post the resolution. That is a very irritating sound, it would drive me crazy. My helm seat used to make such a sound prior to replacing it.

My first guess is missing sealant when the top half was secured, or perhaps missing screws under the rub rail as well.

I would think a factory rep would be enroute after viewing your video. Good sound recording.
The process is started. I sent the video to the dealer and they contacted the factory. Unfortunately Florence will be impacting them soon.
I will post (hopefully) the fix.

Thank you for your comments.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Good luck with it - I hope it turns out to be something that, at the very least, doesn't cause too much down time for you... not that you guys in Florida are spoiled, or anything like that! :)