Marlin near Sydney AU

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

It is best to download for better clarity. The boat is 228 G about 40 miles offshore.
We tagged 3 on the day this one the biggest about 7' 8" short length and about 220 lb.
Magnificent! Glad it was released successfully, and a special thanks for sharing!!

Reactions: wrxhoon

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Magnificent! Glad it was released successfully, and a special thanks for sharing!!
We don't kill marlin here only on the very rare occasion that it maybe a record on in the case of blues they may die . The only time I killed one was in Tahiti a blue 220 kg ( about 460 lb) only because the locals there kill them to eat .
I don't usually post fishing reports, I don't feel they are relevant to you guys but I thought Marlin and sail could interest you .
Surprisingly this one wasn't tagged before , around here most are.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
We are lucky here we fish all year around but you can too in the southern states, it won't be long now your summer is around the corner. Even COVID-19 couldn't stop me fishing. In any case the way things are going I have to go fishing so the family can have protein ( good excuse) , we can't even buy beef now never mind paper products.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Nice video. Thanks for sharing....

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That's awesome. How far out do you have to run for them down there?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
It depends, small blacks get very close (4-5 miles offshore) sometimes, blues are mostly very far out.
This capture was about 35 knots off port but only about 20-25 knots off the nearest land. The location is about 200km (125 miles ) north of Sydney. We towed the boat there the night before and fished the following day, we knew the fish were there . This is an annual thing about the same time of the year. On the day we were out at least another 150 boats were there some from as far as 600 miles, almost all boats hooked fish, I would say 99% released to fight another day.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That's awesome. I have never fished for marlin, but it is on my to-do list for this season. We get sailfish in close (10-20 miles) mid-summer, but usually you have to ride out 65 or so miles from Wilmington to really target sails and white marlin. Going after the blues is gonna tack on an extra 10+ miles to that. I am hoping to start doing some long runs to Marlin fish furing the day and target swords at night. Just got to find the right days. Keep up the good work down there and send pics!