Marlin standing water in bilge

MA208

Reaction score
Boat is still on land. Water could have been there since fall though. Weird spot: under rear hatch in aft bunk. Port side. Under the head discharge hoses. Theres foam and the stringer there. No place for it to drain into the bilge proper. Any ideas?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have drain holes on both sides into the center area (done by factory) and then the center area flows aft.
The only thing to do is either create a path or evacuate the water prior to layup each year.

MA208

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to drill though anything structural. I have no idea where it came from. Actually one idea, but I don't want to think about that (head hoses).

sickday

Reaction score
Usually keep my Marlin under a covered slip. Bilges always dry as a bone. Moved it to an uncovered slip for a winter and was surprised to find a substantial amount of fresh water in the same manner that you described. Pumped it out and eventually moved back to the covered slip. Bilges step dry as a bone. Obvious rain water but have yet to determine here it came in. Maybe through the anchor locker? The good news is the water came from top side.

MA208

Reaction score
Yes its definitely from the topside. Boat has been on the hard since october. Shrink wrapped all winter but we have had some massive rains since the wrap came off. Im hoping anchor locker as well. Got all the water out. Only abput 2 cups worth, and scrubbed bilges down. Now to see if it re collects.

Fishtales

Reaction score
MA208 said:
I wouldn't want to drill though anything structural. I have no idea where it came from. Actually one idea, but I don't want to think about that (head hoses).

A small weep hole isn't going to cause any concern. You could caulk in a small piece of pvc if desired, this way no water intrusion.

MA208

Reaction score
Went down again today. Turns out there are weep holes at the very bottom. They were plugged. Did a dilute bleach clean and its much better now. No bleach on the hoses though.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good to hear. I hit the bilge areas every year with Zep Mold and Mildew. I let it stand a minute or two (as you state not good for metal or plastics) and rinse it well when it is in layup and the water drains out the transom plug. The bilge always looks like new before splashing.