Marlin to 33 express?

hismaimai9999

Reaction score
Website
ruthamcau.suu.vn
Model
Weekender
I currently have a Marlin and am considering moving to a 33 express. My Marlin is an 05, and I would likely make it a lateral move age wise. Is there enough difference to make the move? Use is mixed fishing and pleasure with some overnights. Also, approximately what percentage of the asking prices on boattrader and yacht world, etc. should I expect to pay in general. Thanks for any advice. T

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
never been on a Marlin but I've been on a 330X and its huge. Its a foot wider( 11'7") than a Marlin and 2000lbs more weight.They are different class of boat than a Marlin.
It dwarfs my 265 X.
It has a real cabin. It has lounging room for many. It will cost a lot more to run and keep. It will be slower and burn more gas.

as for pricing, it all depends on the condition of the boat and how long its been for sale. There is no magical percentage.
I've see 265 Expresses on Boattrader start at $65k and end up in the mid $40s

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree with above. Some other things to consider from my perspective. Others may view Pros as Cons and vice versa.

Pros: A wider and overall much larger and nicer cabin. You can sleep 6 versus 4 cramped in the marlin. Helm seating is more plentiful. Aft cockpit is 6 sq foot larger than the marlin but seems smaller if you ask me. 12" beam increase and 3' longer! More of a yacht feel at sea. Like going from the 282 to the 300.

Cons: No walk to the bow essentially limits bow use. Center helm. Tight helm when all seats are deployed. Tough to get by the helm seat. I'd love this boat with a starboard helm; just don't like the center.... A lot more jing to obtain, run and keep. Not much more fun than a marlin for a lot more jing.

Bottom line: If you have the jing, the need for a bigger cabin and can deal with the helm it is a no brainer.

seasick

Reaction score
I don't know how many Marlins were made versus Expresses but I can say that there are many more Expresses for sale than Marlins. It is a different beast ( and beast it is!). Based on my impressions at various boat shows, the helm is quite crowded for a boat with that wide a beam. For larger passengers it can be pretty tight getting around. The cabin seems a bit tight also for the hull size. I find that the late model Pursuit Off Shore models and Whaler Conquests in the same length ranges seem better laid out.
Just my two cents

georgemjr

Reaction score
I believe there are huge differences. I was an Express owner, then went to the Marlin, then back to the express, so that should tell you something. I don't have issues with the helm seating, but I am 5'10" 170 pounds. Cabin is significantly more substantial for overnight comfort. Ride and feel of the boat is more substantial , and operating cost are exactly the same. You will pay more for dockage (3 more feet) and more for storage, but it gets the exact same miles per gallon as my Marlin did and the same as my two buddies Marlins do. 1.0 on a bad day, 1.2 on a good one. As a matter of fact, I lent my 4 blade props to my friend with an '05 Marlin because I was getting better performance than he was.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Oh, and in general there is a 10% discount off the ask on those sights, but it can be much more substantial if its been on there a while, is overpriced, motivated seller, or this time of year.

seasick

Reaction score
I believe there are huge differences. I was an Express owner, then went to the Marlin, then back to the express, so that should tell you something. I don't have issues with the helm seating, but I am 5'10" 170 pounds. Cabin is significantly more substantial for overnight comfort. Ride and feel of the boat is more substantial , and operating cost are exactly the same. You will pay more for dockage (3 more feet) and more for storage, but it gets the exact same miles per gallon as my Marlin did and the same as my two buddies Marlins do. 1.0 on a bad day, 1.2 on a good one. As a matter of fact, I lent my 4 blade props to my friend with an '05 Marlin because I was getting better performance than he was.
Did you mention what motors you had on the express? Also what motors on the Marlin. I am curious how you would get the same performance with the extra weight of the Express.

georgemjr

Reaction score
On both my '06 express and my '07 express I have F250s of the same year. My friend with the '05 Marlin has F250's of the same year. My Friend with the '02 Marlin had F225s and now has 2017 F250's, my 00 had OX 66 2 stroke 250's. I can't explain it, I can just read numbers. My flow scan is hooked up via nmea to the gps so it is absolutely accurate (and was on all 3). I have run side by side with my friend while on cell phones, calling out RPM, speed (obvious since we were side by side) and fuel flow and miles per gallon. They are pretty much all 1.0 to 1.2. Happy to send you a cell phone picture if you'd like.

seasick

Reaction score
No need for a picture, I believe you:) Since the OXs are kind of fuel hungry, I can see how a Marlin with OXs might have the same burn rate as a heavier express with the more efficient F motors.
The interesting part is the Marlin and Express having similar
burn rates with F250s on both models.

Reactions: Dand1

georgemjr

Reaction score
Maybe i had/have a cleaner bottom but my Marlin with the 2 strokes was just as efficient at cruise. The extra cost wasn’t in the fuel burned, but rather the oil I guzzled.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The size difference is huge. Not a compare. Look at the 305 and the 300 to compare. The 305 isn't around anymore because it had too many compromises - kinda like the 282 and the 300.
If GW made a 330 size walk with a side helm it would sell. There are a few manufacturers that make large walks and they do well. I think the DCs are just so hot, that is the focus of the company today.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Moving from a Marlin to a 330 is a big step financially. Both are great boats. I have owned my 330 for 8+ years and a pal of mine has a Marlin. When on his Marlin, everything seems (and is) "smaller" and less useful and less comfortable. I suppose a 370 Owner would feel the same way stepping on a 330.

As to fuel economy, I agree with George above. I have 2006 F250's and see a very consistent average of 1.0 nautical MPG every trip. My 1.0 nautical MPG = 1.15 Statute MPG. If I go 30 miles, it's 30 gallons. If I go 170 miles, it's 170 gallons. Specifically, I cruise at .88 nMPG and do better than 1.0 when on the troll or drift. It all seems to average to 1.0 nMPG (for 8 years now and counting).

Hope this helps you in your decision. If you don't move to a 330, you're still in a great boat!

p.s. And, like George above, I'm swinging 4 blade props as well. Power Tech 16" pitch.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The size difference is huge. Not a compare. Look at the 305 and the 300 to compare. The 305 isn't around anymore because it had too many compromises - kinda like the 282 and the 300.
If GW made a 330 size walk with a side helm it would sell. There are a few manufacturers that make large walks and they do well. I think the DCs are just so hot, that is the focus of the company today.

According to Grady the 305 got replaced with the 307. It also seems a lot of the smaller walkaround models have gone by the wayside too. I also would not be at all surprised if Grady released a larger express model in the near future especially with the availability of larger outboards.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I understand the appeal of walkarounds but to me they look better than they feel when I'm walking around them. My size 13s just don't work.
I really loved the 265 express layout when I came upon it by accident. I was looking at old Carolinas, Black Watches and North Coasts in the 24' - 28' range.
I really can get to the bow no problem holding the hardtop rails and its a much wider and flatter deck. We caught bluefins on poppers from the bow this year.
The extra space you gain in the cabin and seating under the hardtop, to me, far outweighs the benefit of the narrow walkway to the bow.
And I absolutely LOVE the center helm.

The 307 is a bow rider...oh ...sorry..."Dual Console"...the future of Grady.....they have a 37 ft bow rider! I just don't get it but hey, they're selling!
They ended all the walkarounds over 23ft except the Marlin.
The 37 and 45 Canyons are effectively giant walkarounds. They are actually competition against big expresses.
I don't imagine Grady is going to make an Express bigger than the 370. You start competing with the diesel inboard guys like Viking, Luhrs, Cabo, Hatteras, Albemarle....its a different game...

Fishtales

Reaction score
According to Grady the 305 got replaced with the 307. It also seems a lot of the smaller walkaround models have gone by the wayside too. I also would not be at all surprised if Grady released a larger express model in the near future especially with the availability of larger outboards.
I was comparing the 330 to the 300 with the huge comment. The 305, 307 and 300 all share the same hull- same size - just different layouts. The 305 was just too small of an express thus the compromises. The Freedoms are nice day boats. That is what people want today.