Marlin transom transducer location?

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Question for Marlin owners. I have a couple transducers that need to be mounted on the transom. Where are the best spots on the transom to mount them with the least disturbance? Thank you!

Attachments

• 81F81D3C-C38B-4169-A18B-FC5795225D6A.png
    81F81D3C-C38B-4169-A18B-FC5795225D6A.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 3

rockpool

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
apologies for going off topic - but may I ask why you decided on a transom mount and not a through-hull?

Reactions: Jrspawn

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
apologies for going off topic - but may I ask why you decided on a transom mount and not a through-hull?
I currently have a complete Lowrance setup that i plan on using on our new boat. Bought it all this year for our old boat and moving it over. It uses a 3D structurescan transducer and another 2d transducer. I’d like to use all the stuff for what I spent on it all this year.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree with no holes and the use of the saver. If I had to mount a transom ducer (not a fan due to ease of damage hanging off the transom) I'd put it on the port side outside the engine. The starboard has the ladder and the ducer will likely be in the way at best and subject to damage at worst.

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've got 2 new 9" Garmin chartplotters/FFs I removed from the boat I just sold. I'm picking up my 282 SF next Friday. It has one thru hull and I was planning on adding at least one transom mt ducer. I never had any plans to drill holes in the hull so thought about 4200ing either a leftover piece of pvc board I got from Home Depot or buy a small piece of Starboard. The saver in the link above looks nice. On twin boats with just one transducer I see a lot mounted dead center at the V.

I'm not sure if I'm keeping the ff/gps/chartplotter that's already on the boat as I'm told the chartplotter portion does not work. On my old boat I used one screen for nav and one for FF. If I remove the bad chartplotter I'm hoping to be able to adapt the existing thru hull to my Garmin FF and maybe add just one transom mt transducer which would be connected to my mainly nav screen but act as backup FF and provide depth readings on the nav screen.

The defective chartplotter is a Furuno NavNet which the thru hull is connected to. Anybody know what's involved connecting the thru hull to the Garmin? The boat has AP and I assume it won't fully work with a non functioning chartplotter. Hopefully it will at least hold a compass heading without inputs from another unit??? Not sure, this will be the 1st AP I've owned. It's a Simrad AP16.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Your AP will hold a compass heading when a chartplotter is not detected. Garmin makes a couple of bare wire to 8-pin junction boxes that will work with most existing transducers. Here is one:

Garmin Adaptor Box

TopsulTime

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Great, thanks for that link/info.

After I take possession of the boat I'll get exact model numbers of everything and hopefully be able to link my Garmin chartplotter to the AP.